What's the matter with black Republicans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:26:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  What's the matter with black Republicans?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the matter with black Republicans?  (Read 1472 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:04:39 PM »

For whatever reason, black Republicans seem to generally place themselves solidly on the right of the party (with a couple exceptions, like Steele), specifically the Tea Party. Inflammatory rhetoric, insane social positions, all of it. Look at Herman Cain, J.C. Watts, Tim Scott, Allen West, etc. Why is this? Is it just hard to be a sellout without going the full nine yards?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:08:38 PM »

One might assume that if one were a black moderate, they might as well be a Democrat. Thus, all that you have left are the hard-righters. That's just a guess that I made up the moment I began typing.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:00:17 PM »

But... but... Simfan!

The hard-right black Republicans are likely to get publicity out of proportion to their numbers, I think.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:12:50 AM »

I blame gerrymandering. A black person running in a VRA-protected, Democratic vote sink cannot be anything other than left-wing. A black person running in a non-VRA district in one of the states where black people mostly live will find himself facing a heavily white, very conservative electorate.

There is also a subconscious race factor - black conservatives may present themselves as more conservative to allay their white voters' suspicions of them.

And black identification with the Democratic Party is so high, I'd imagine only the very, very conservative blacks would be motivated to identify as Republican. (Moderates would probably simply remain Democrats).
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:38:26 AM »

Maybe they feel like they really have to prove themselves to be taken seriously.

Also, most of these black Republicans are from the south. Speaking as a southerner, I would say that they don't have a lot of room for moderation. Most of them represent constituents who are white and very conservative. It's taken these people 50 years just to get used to black people holding elected office! If they do or say anything perceived as moderate then their base might turn on them and brand them as just another Obama loving, welfare giving, corrupt black politician. They have to move twice as far to the right to get half the amount of respect. I don't want to say Uncle Tom, but I think it applies here.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 04:20:22 AM »

Colin Powell?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »

Who has also never been elected to anything in his life.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »

Edward Brooke?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »

Because the black movt have aligned itself on affirmative action and civil rights. There is no alternate black movt on the part of social issues like gay marriage and immigration where blacks even liberals are on the right on. So, the blacks conservatives have to be the fight in blacks on those issues, where liberal blacks aren't a part of.
Nichlemn

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 04:51:29 AM »

It might also simply be chance, because there are so few prominent black Republicans anyway.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »

Was elected Senator from Massachussetts in 1966, back when there were moderate Republicans like Nelson Rockefeller, Gerald Ford, and George Romney. He's from a difference time.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »

And Oldiesfreak!
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »

Okay, what about Condoleezza Rice?  Or Michael Steele?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »

Rice has never run for or won an election in her life.

Steele was not elected in his own right - he was the running mate of Bob Ehrlich. So voters got him as part of the package. And then he ran for Senate, which didn't turn out so well.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 04:48:42 AM »

Look at Herman Cain, J.C. Watts, Tim Scott, Allen West, etc.

Meh, all of those examples except for Watts come from the "Tea Party era" of the last few years.  And I don't even know if I'd agree that Watts was much more right wing than the average House Republican of the Class of 1994.  And of course, he was representing Oklahoma.

I think what you have here is the fact that the Tea Party phenomenon has elevated many people of mediocre talents purely on the basis of their ideological ferver, and there is a sort of affirmative action of media attention, such that Tea Party racial minorities with mediocre talents have an easier time getting media attention than their white counterparts with mediocre talents, and so they can get ahead more easily.  I mean, would Scott have been such a lock to be Haley's pick for that US Senate seat if he was white?  Would Cain have been invited to every debate if he was white, or excluded from most of them like Johnson and Roemer?

There's also the fact that most people tend to adopt the ideology of those around them.  To reject the ideology of those around you and go in a different direction usually requires you to be a true believer in the different direction.  Someone who's especially devoted to the chosen ideological cause. For most racial minorities, most of the people around them are likely to be more on the left end of the ideological spectrum, so those who reject that and identify with the right are likely to be true believers.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:09 AM »

And black identification with the Democratic Party is so high, I'd imagine only the very, very conservative blacks would be motivated to identify as Republican. (Moderates would probably simply remain Democrats).

This
Jordan
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -9.74

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 01:39:00 AM »

Rice has never run for or won an election in her life.

Steele was not elected in his own right - he was the running mate of Bob Ehrlich. So voters got him as part of the package. And then he ran for Senate, which didn't turn out so well.

Not sure how prominent it was, but I remember seeing Vote for Steele - D signs for the Maryland race.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Loaded question is loaded.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 11:16:29 PM »

Steele is also pretty conservative, he only seems like a moderate by the standards of the modern day GOP and the Tea Party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies