Hardcore or metal music
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:11:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hardcore or metal music
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Hardcore

Metal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Hardcore or metal music  (Read 4201 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 07:56:05 AM »

Hmm, any proof you can offer or you're just trying to be witty?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »

Someone with 215 posts from the same state who already knows quite a bit about my musical taste and uses the same type of insults against it and me and has already made at least one sock? At leat that's a heck of a coincidence otherwise.

BTW did you note those metal lyrics I linked to?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »

Obviously all Christmas carols are insipid and emotionally manipulative.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »

Hardcore is an abomination of music.

Metal.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »

I was listening to Blind Guardian just a few days ago, actually.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »

No, he must think only 1 person lives in Wyoming.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 11:58:52 PM »

Someone with 215 posts from the same state who already knows quite a bit about my musical taste and uses the same type of insults against it and me and has already made at least one sock? At leat that's a heck of a coincidence otherwise.

BTW did you note those metal lyrics I linked to?

Firstly, if you're trying to accuse me of being a sock, file that away here and now. If anyone were to check my IP, they would find a perfectly legitimate address broadcasting from Wyoming. Whoever the member you speak of was, I'm going to presume they were banned, meaning that they would presumably be operating on a proxy if they came back. The only reason I know about your "taste" in music is by way of lurking - which I did for a long time before properly joining the forum so I could scope out who here would be liable to annoy me ahead of time. I wanted to be as diplomatic as I could, but quite frankly, your insufferable musical arrogance made that impossible for me.

As to your question, I ask you this again: have you ever listened to any metal lyrics outside your argument-convenient samples? Because most metal fans know bands like those are utter tripe. This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjAxCx95mO8

Is far closer to the norm. It's about the Iliad, like most songs of theirs are about literature - including the Bible, always in a completely favorable light. It may utterly uproot the very foundation of your world to know this, but metal artists can be, and frequently are, devout Christians, particularly in the classic and power metal genres. The music may not be your thing, which I could respect if you didn't act so horrendously superior about it, but your presumption that all metal artists are Christian-hating baby-eaters is quite bluntly juvenile.

But the thing is, you can't just dismiss that death metal and black metal stuff as some fringe stuff, because it's not. They're both large subgenres and quite popular in the metal scene. It's kind of a No True Scotsman in a way, it'd be like me saying that you can't count right wing fundamentalists as "real" Christians.

Also, just putting this out here: by stating that the only good music is music you can dance and mosh to, you've just held up Lady Gaga as a paragon of music. Congratulations.

I said that in regards to HEAVY music. There's no point in listening to heavy music if it's not dancable, because that means it has no rhythm and it just becomes noise.

Also I know this doesn't matter in regards to musical quality, but let's compare what the musicians in each genre look like:

Only one of these bands would I not be totally embarrassed to admit to liking regardless of what their music sounded like.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2013, 09:36:12 PM by seven people dead on a South Dakota farm »

Well Bring Me The Horizon is mainstream watered down bastardized hardcore who's primary fanbase is young females who probably also like Twilight. They also look like...well this:

Granted they don't wear makeup or eyeliner. I'll give you that.

BTW I tried listening to that Blind Guardian song and it was just horrible.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 09:43:36 PM »

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2013, 11:07:25 PM by Nathan »

Are you aware that this is subjective? Are you aware that anything that's subjective is subjective? Blind Guardian has even if nothing else the virtue of being tonal.

Reading over this thread again, is your claim that one can't 'mosh' to metal serious? Because, if so, um, wow.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »

Are you aware that this is subjective? Are you aware that anything that's subjective is subjective? Blind Guardian has even if nothing else the virtue of being tonal.

Reading over this thread again, is your claim that one can't 'mosh' to metal serious? Because, if so, um, wow.

"Mosh" is a subjective verb. Grin
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »

"Mosh" is a subjective verb. Grin

Touché.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 12:17:30 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2013, 12:19:28 AM by seven people dead on a South Dakota farm »

I said you couldn't mosh to power metal or symphonic black metal, not all metal. Like yeah that's certainly not true for thrash or some death metal (though most of death metal just sounds like a wall of noise.)

And lots of metalheads look down on it, if there's ever a deathcore or metalcore band touring with some band metal forums will be like "Ugh now if I go see this death metal band there'll be stupid metalcore kids crowdsurfing and punching the air and jumping around...." Oh and note this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfRl_JjofYQ

Also I don't think anyone can deny that metal bands tend to be quite a bit more sedentary when playing, you'd never see anyone in Blind Guardian shoving into the crowd like this or this. That Blind Guardian song by the way is almost as long as an entire Ampere set. Ampere don't play for longer than 15 minutes because it's too physically exhausting....and they obviously didn't pioneer that:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.fourfa.com/styles/hcemo.htm
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 05:27:27 AM »

Well Bring Me The Horizon is mainstream watered down bastardized hardcore who's primary fanbase is young females who probably also like Twilight. They also look like...well this:

Just shut up, please? At this point, you're just spewing out everything you want to say and telling everyone else that they're wrong. You are literally five years old.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 08:27:20 AM »

My registration date shows that to be impossible.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »

Mentally.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »

Metal
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 07:33:57 PM »

Even someone who is mentally five years old is not literally five years old (you should look up "literally" in the dictionary.) And would not be capable of graduating college...or even high school...or even elementary school. Or capable of posting on this forum most likely.

Alright, you know what, I have better things to do with my time than argue the nuances of music with a proverbial solid concrete wall. I have writing to do, food to cook, and a life to enjoy. BRTD, let it be shouted out here and now that, my initial post aside - which I apologized for - I did legitimately try my hardest to have a respectful musical debate with you, but thus far all of my points have either fallen on deaf ears or been ignored. I know a lost cause when I see one.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go listen to the music you hate. Because I'm sure it just bugs the hell out of you that not everyone shares your musical tastes.

Actually no it doesn't bug me. I just rag on metal because in addition to not being able to stand the music I can't stand metal culture and my experience with metalheads when I was in high school and forming my identity and getting into my subculture.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 12:18:16 PM »

Where's the klezmer option in this poll? Don't tell me that you can't dance klezmer music, bunch of heretics and adorers of Satan. I exclude Ian MacKaye because he's a straight boy. And as some people says in my country: el jevi no es violencia ("heavy metal is not violence")
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 06:18:32 AM »

A slight exaggeration numerically, but in essentials correct.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 07:15:20 AM »

And as some people says in my country: el jevi no es violencia ("heavy metal is not violence")

Hail Bruque. Cheesy
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »

And as some people says in my country: el jevi no es violencia ("heavy metal is not violence")

Hail Bruque. Cheesy

Wow, I never suspected that someone could get that obscure reference to a Spanish heavy metal musician Cheesy. A certain old friend of mine would be satisfied reading your post. I usually say el jevi no es violencia in several contexts, mainly to do jokes. I'm not fan of a singular genre like metal or hardcore, I suppose that I have an 'eclectic' taste or something.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »

Hail Bruque. Cheesy

Wow, I never suspected that someone could get that obscure reference to a Spanish heavy metal musician Cheesy. A certain old friend of mine would be satisfied reading your post. I usually say el jevi no es violencia in several contexts, mainly to do jokes. I'm not fan of a singular genre like metal or hardcore, I suppose that I have an 'eclectic' taste or something.

Hahah, glad to hear it. I've spent a crazy amount of time tracking down anything with that traditional '80s sound. Bonus points if it's not British, American or German. I'll listen to anything of course, but plain old heavy metal is undoubtedly my area of expertise when it comes to music.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies