How do you like your meat cooked?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:50:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How do you like your meat cooked?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Steaks and Hamburger
Rare

Medium Rare

Medium

Medium Well

Well Done

Almost burnt

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: How do you like your meat cooked?  (Read 6611 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »

I like my meat to not be on my plate.
You commie pinko! Tongue

How do you like your veggies cooked?  Mushy peas or crisp tender?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »

Here's my contribution of shame to the thread:

I love medium rare steak.  But I have an aversion to fatty cuts of meat outside of bacon.  A well marbled Strip is okay... but ribeyes are too fatty.  And sirloin has that awful artery running through it that kinda pulls apart like hot gum.  Gross.

I even get grossed out eating shellfish knowing that crustaceans are basically insects living in the ocean.  But I still love crab and lobster.  With lots of clarified butter, of course.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »

I like my meat to not be on my plate.
You commie pinko! Tongue

How do you like your veggies cooked?  Mushy peas or crisp tender?
lol

I hate mushy vegetables. One of the reasons I refuse to ever eat at Subway. Their lettuce tastes like they take it and put in in a jug of water before serving.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »

Restaurants save the really bad cuts of meat for people who ask for their steak "well done".

I usually say medium rare, or medium.  There's a point where it's just too bloody to enjoy, and the right amount of cooking makes it more tender.  And you do have to get burgers a little more well done- I don't worry about bacteria in a whole cut of meat, but when it's ground its more of a concern.
True, but a little pink in the middle almost definitely wouldn't be a problem.  That meat is still cooked and debugged.. but it'll be tender and moer flavorful.

By the way, I tried Mettbroetchen in Cologne... they are basically German hard rolls cut in half with raw ground beef (usually pork, but these people had beef).  You top it with very thinly sliced onions and salt and pepper.

The taste is alright.. but the slimy cool to the touch meat is just a turn off.

Have any of our resident Germans had Mettbroetchen before?  I don't know if it ranges beyond Cologne.. but I'm sure there are similar variations in other places.  

Language lesson:  Mettbroetchen directly translated is "Meat bread-chen"... the chen on the end of brot (which means bread) indicates a "smaller" bread, like a roll.

In english, there are still relics of this word construction in words that end with -kin, like napkin.  Napkin is a conjunction of nape (which means "cloth) and kin, which makes the object diminutive, thus indicating a "small cloth" or "towelette" ('ette' is the common suffix nowadays for such constructions).

I'm not one to normally get easily disgusted... but actually raw meat does the trick.  Especially when ground.  And raw pork?  Oh my.

Of course I do eat sushi, so I guess that makes me a hypocrite.  But I'm pretty sure raw fish is a good deal safer.  So there.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 07:25:14 PM »

How do you like your veggies cooked?

Each should have its own individual thread, of course.  Corn and peas should be hard, but stir-fried sliced zucchini soft.  And tomatoes, in my opinion, are best raw, straight of the vine, unsalted and unpeppered.  I can go either way with serranos.  Potatoes should absolutely be as mushy as molten candlewax.  Marriage to a foreigner, particularly from East Asia, takes some getting used to in this regard.  "No, the meat should be raw; the potatoes can be stir-fried in garlic and soy sauce beyond recognition, in fact, the mushier the better.  A served potato need not be stiff! but the meat needs to still retain some red color.  How many times do we need to discuss this?"  

As for lettuce, and leafy vegetables in general, I guess I'm with the Asians on this.  Pick them, put them in a jar with acetic acid and spices, and bury them under a chickencoop for a year before serving.  No crispy leaves for me, thankyouverymuch.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 09:00:24 PM »

Rare.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2013, 07:02:38 AM »

In this thread: Australians are right, Poms are wrong, and Americans are individuals.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2013, 09:10:03 AM »

Well done. I see you can't even escape the evangelist bores on here, falling all over themselves to chastise you for having the temerity to eat the steak how you prefer. BUT BUT YOU'LL RECEIVE THE CHEF'S CONTEMPT!!

I wouldn't mind as much if it weren't just fashionable and received wisdom by this point, usually parrotted off by people who oddly have no passion for food at any other point in time, and probably had Justin Timberlake on in the car on the way to the restaurant.

Face it buddy, you're just eating burnt up stuff. 
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »

Medium rare
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2013, 02:45:09 AM »

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2013, 03:34:18 AM »

I assume the question is asking about steak. If so, I either go with rare or medium rare (the latter primarily when eating out). Medium is pretty much unacceptable and anything more cooked than that has completely destroyed the steak. I don't even think I've ever met anyone in person who likes so-called "well done" steak. I don't understand why someone would even have steak if they did that to it.

I'll end this comment with Hank Hill's advice.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »

I don't even think I've ever met anyone in person who likes so-called "well done" steak.

There seem to be many in this thread.  Like you, I like my steaks (and prime rib) rare, but my wife likes all her meat cooked thoroughly, as does my sister.  It's not that uncommon. 

As you intimated, such folks don't generally order steak.  It would not occur to my wife to even order a beef steak.  It's just that sometimes you're at a wedding or whatever where there's a fixed menu, and it's prime rib or steak, and that's what you eat.  Your only choice is how much it should be cooked.  That's when folks who wouldn't ordinarily even order such a thing have to either eat it or look like a social outcast.  In those cases, they'll generally choke it down if you cook it for them.  The subtext contained in Hank's brief soliloquy isn't one of snobbery.  It simply suggests that he is sensitive enough to identify those who'd rather not be at a back-yard beef grilling festival in the first place. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 10:09:54 AM »

Of course angus likes only angus beef.  Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:48 AM »