A question to Jesus Christ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:33:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  A question to Jesus Christ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question to Jesus Christ  (Read 4916 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: February 18, 2005, 01:14:54 PM »

I couldn't say that would be an all inclusive case, in the case of that quote - if I remember correctly, that's in reference to stoning an adulterer, not executing a muderer. Personally though, I don't really care what Jesus thought of the death penalty.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 02:39:14 PM »

So if someone raped you and cut your arms off he shouldn't get the death penalty?

I know the question isn't for me (and I'm glad), but if it was, I'd actually be happier to see my attacker stew in prison for the rest of his life.  Yeah, I know, it wouldn't be the rest of his life, but that'd be my only beef.  In any case, I'd love to know that while the rest of my life would be torture, so would his.  Knowing that the chances of him being attacked and raped would also be considerably high.  Giving him death would give him an easy way out.

Well, there's also the possibility that he'll be high on the food chain in prison - he's obviously one sick mofo, so he could do it, too. Many prisoners would be afraid of him.

Now, remember, life in prison may sound bad(and it is) but it's not as bad as you might think. Prisoners get a lot of luxuries that they shouldn't have, and they aren't worked like they should be. I'd consent to getting rid of the death penalty if we could actually make life imprisonment a punishment of the same degree.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 04:22:35 PM »

jesus was a victim of the death penalty.  why would he support it?

Because His death penalty offered the only true chance of salvation for all mankind--if you're a Christian, at least

Besides, he didn't commit any real crime - he didn't commit murder, rape, or anything of the like. His execution was also anything but humane - he was tortured to death rather than given a quick death.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 04:36:23 PM »

jesus was a victim of the death penalty.  why would he support it?

Because His death penalty offered the only true chance of salvation for all mankind--if you're a Christian, at least

Besides, he didn't commit any real crime - he didn't commit murder, rape, or anything of the like. His execution was also anything but humane - he was tortured to death rather than given a quick death.

maybe there are people on death row who havent commited a 'real crime'?

I'm going to assume you're talking about people on death row who are actually innocent of the crime they were accused for, which is totally irrelevant to what I was arguing. Jesus was executed for exactly what he was charged with, which he was guilty of - heresy, more or less. Now, what I was saying is that his 'crime' did not warrant such a punishment, or any punishment at all really - it wasn't a crime like murder, rape, or cutting off the arms of a 6 year old, it was not something that did harm to anyone. It was more about him being a threat to the positions of the ones currently in power more than anything else. Those in power abused that power, and killed a man who was known to have harmed nobody, which is distinctly different from executing someone who commited an act of murder. I am of the thinking that the punishment should fit the crime - in Jesus's case, no punishment was really warranted.

Now, as to innocent people on death row, it's unfortunate. I support use of the death penalty, but I want it used sparingly to prevent such unfortunate occurances - only in cases where guilt is absolutely proveable should it be used. Otherwise I'm fine with life without parole, though I'm also for making prisons more unpleasant for prisoners.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 06:35:53 PM »

Ok a man rapes a 6 years old girl.. then cuts her up afterward.. what would you do to him? Put him in jail for 20 years??? So he can do it again.

I'd put him in jail for life. Who the heck here would put him in for 20 years? No one, I'd hope.

According to David S. the guy got out in 15 years, and killed a prostituted two years later.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies