A question to Jesus Christ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:59:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  A question to Jesus Christ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question to Jesus Christ  (Read 4924 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

« on: February 18, 2005, 01:26:36 PM »

That certainly doesn't sound like an endorsement of the death penalty.

Shira and BRTD
The woman in question was accused of adultery. No where in the US is the death penalty imposed for adultery. In the biblical story Richius cited the woman was not punished at all. In most cases of adultery in the US, the adulterer would not be punished either, and certainly would not be stoned to death.

But what about murder and other violent crimes? I don't know what Jesus would say, but in my opinion the death penalty is a just and fitting punishment for certain crimes. I've given examples of such crimes in other posts but let me cite two of them again and ask what punishment you think is fitting.

A man raped a 16 year old girl and then cut off her arms. In this case there was no murder so the death penalty would not be imposed in any state in the country, but I think it should be. Imagine being that poor young woman. Imagine trying to feed yourself, or bathe, or dress yourself or use the bathroom by yourself without arms. Imagine looking in the mirror and seeing stumps where your arms once were, and being reminded  every day  of the horrible crime that was committed against you. Imagine never being able to touch those you love with your fingers. What do you think should be the punishment for such a horrible crime?

In another case someone carjacked a young woman and her children. He raped and murdered her and then drowned her children one at a time in a nearby stream. Imagine the terror and pain the victims felt. Imagine the anguish of the father who lost his entire family to this brutal animal. Then tell me what should be the appropriate punishment.

David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 03:04:19 PM »

So if someone raped you and cut your arms off he shouldn't get the death penalty?

I know the question isn't for me (and I'm glad), but if it was, I'd actually be happier to see my attacker stew in prison for the rest of his life.  Yeah, I know, it wouldn't be the rest of his life, but that'd be my only beef.  In any case, I'd love to know that while the rest of my life would be torture, so would his.  Knowing that the chances of him being attacked and raped would also be considerably high.  Giving him death would give him an easy way out.

Actually the story of the man who raped a girl and cut off her arms does not end where I left it. The felon served his time (15 years I think) and was released, despite objections from his victim. Within two years he struck again, this time by murdering a prostitute. So in this case the death penalty would not only have been a just punishment but it would also have prevented a murder.

I don't know how effective the death penalty is for deterring would-be murderers, but it most assuredly deters the person who gets it.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 12:54:09 PM »

Ok a man rapes a 6 years old girl.. then cuts her up afterward.. what would you do to him? Put him in jail for 20 years??? So he can do it again.

I'd put him in jail for life. Who the heck here would put him in for 20 years? No one, I'd hope.

According to David S. the guy got out in 15 years, and killed a prostituted two years later.

Well then that proves that our sentencing laws are crap. A California man got 25 years for stealing a slize of pizza.

If I remember that case it was a three strikes and your out case. That was his third strike. Also, if I am remembering the same case you're speaking of, he stole the pizza from a child. What a low-life.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 03:36:48 PM »

Ok a man rapes a 6 years old girl.. then cuts her up afterward.. what would you do to him? Put him in jail for 20 years??? So he can do it again.

I'd put him in jail for life. Who the heck here would put him in for 20 years? No one, I'd hope.

According to David S. the guy got out in 15 years, and killed a prostituted two years later.

Well then that proves that our sentencing laws are crap. A California man got 25 years for stealing a slize of pizza.

If I remember that case it was a three strikes and your out case. That was his third strike. Also, if I am remembering the same case you're speaking of, he stole the pizza from a child. What a low-life.

I found the case online at http://www.threestrikes.org/calaw01.html Scroll down to Jerry Dewayne Williams.

Yes it was a three strikes case and it was his third offense, and he did steal the pizza from a child. Also he only served 6 years, not 25.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 11:24:26 PM »

so?Huh  25 years for stealing a pizza is one of the most extreme blunders of justice I've ever heard.  I thought surely that it wasn't true, and I'm horrified to hear that it is.

You missed my second post. He was released after 6 years. Also you may think that shaking down kids for a slice of pizza is trivial, but this guy was convicted of other crimes twice before. Apparently he never learned his lesson. And apparently he still has absolutely no respect for the rights of others.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies