Romney's running... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:11:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Romney's running... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney's running...  (Read 3874 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: February 19, 2005, 07:50:42 AM »

An effective northeastern Republican, who is conservative enough to get the nomination, could be very difficult for the Democrats to beat.

Pataki at this point is a total dud.  He's a RINO who is only marginally better than the Democrats, and that's not saying much.  Giuliani will be a hard sell, given that he has been married 3x, publicly cheated on his wife, and is socially liberal beyond the accepted norms for his party.  Plus, he has not held a public office higher than mayor.

If Romney is not too loudly pro-abortion, maybe he could win the nomination.  He is against gay marriage, which will please Republican voters.  Somebody like Romney could be  a good way to expand the Republican base and break the red state-blue state phenomenon that we have seen in the last 2 elections.

It would be interesting to see Romney, or somebody like him, run against a southern Democrat.  That would shake things up a bit.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 11:05:19 AM »

Personally, I like the idea of a Northern Republican in '08...we don't actually need to run a southerner this time around.

But, other than Romney, who is there?

Pataki's a joke...
Rudy won't make the cut...
Tommy Thompson will either be two years into a Senate term or out of politics.
And nobody's heard of Tim Pawlenty.

I don't think we should operate under the assumption that Bredesen's going to get the nomination....

Because A) he won't get it
and B) if he does, he wins (heck, I'm seriously considering voting for him if he gets the nomination) Nothing much interesting there.

I agree with your assessments.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 02:23:26 PM »

An effective northeastern Republican, who is conservative enough to get the nomination, could be very difficult for the Democrats to beat.

An effective southeastern Democrat, who is liberal enough to get the nomination, could be very difficult for the Republicans to beat.

Very true.  Look at Clinton.  Now put a northeastern Republican against a southeastern Democrat, and that would really mix up the current red state-blue state alignment, which would probably be a positive thing.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 02:38:52 PM »

Romney should be more concerned about 2006 than 2008 (as should Pawlenty too for that matter)

You may be right.  I have no idea what his re-election prospects are in Massachusetts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies