regions and districts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:13:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  regions and districts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: regions and districts  (Read 3567 times)
dunn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2004, 04:02:34 PM »

for those who asked

regions and districts

dunn

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 04:04:20 PM »

JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 04:04:28 PM »

for those who asked

regions and districts

I don't get why that is it, regions are supposed to each have 10 states, those don't and the people are in no way balanced.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 04:04:43 PM »

which is which
ShapeShifter

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 04:06:09 PM »

for those who asked

regions and districts

forgot to label your map
dunn

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 04:06:37 PM »

that's what the people voted

the senate can change them but that was the vote, hell I didn't even vted for that plan, but the people have spoken
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 04:08:07 PM »

assuming that is districts, the populations are far from balanced, the one with Texas in has 8 people, and the one with Pennsylvania and New England has 20.
dunn

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 04:08:11 PM »

regions and disteicts = the first one is regions and the second disteicts....
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 04:09:18 PM »

ok thanks Dunn
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 04:09:22 PM »

I think the regions are fine as they are.  The Plains region has slightly more states than the other regions, but most of those states are entirely unpopulated, so who cares?  This is the map that got the most votes in both a poll pitting it against ten other maps and the final amendments vote.

As for the districts, they are already unbalanced, so they will have to be changed according to the census.  When they will be changed I have no idea.

dunn

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 04:15:04 PM »

welcome
I am waiting for that mail
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 04:21:24 PM »

mail?
dunn

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 04:23:11 PM »

sorry' my mistake. I thought for a sec you were mass117
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 04:26:51 PM »

The Districts map obviously sucks and has to be remade, but this would have to be done anyway at some point. The regions map suck as well, but we knew that was gonna happen from the beginning, that's why we created it. But the regions map MUST have a sensible reason for its division. Now, you can EITHER argue the number of states (10 in each) OR some cultural divide. This map has neitehr.  
dunn

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 04:29:03 PM »

The Districts map obviously sucks and has to be remade, but this would have to be done anyway at some point. The regions map suck as well, but we knew that was gonna happen from the beginning, that's why we created it. But the regions map MUST have a sensible reason for its division. Now, you can EITHER argue the number of states (10 in each) OR some cultural divide. This map has neitehr.  
I agree, but we voted on that a few days ago. it's the people choice. once there is a senate I guess changing it will not be hard
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004, 04:31:58 PM »

I agree, but we voted on that a few days ago. it's the people choice. once there is a senate I guess changing it will not be hard

But it's kind of weird to hold a senate election with those maps...and some senators might be inclined against changing the maps, you know... Wink
dunn

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2004, 04:37:10 PM »

I say again, I was against that, BUT the people chose it. what can I say - we are a democracy
But it's kind of weird to hold a senate election with those maps...and some senators might be inclined against changing the maps, you know... Wink
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2004, 04:51:27 PM »

The region map- which doesn't have 10 states each- was approved in the same voting where the Constitution was approved- the Constitution which clearly states that each region has 10 states.

In other words, the voters have approved contradictary proposals.  In my opinion, the vote for the Constitution supercedes the vote for which map to use.

If you go ahead with this map for regions, then the clause in the section stating regions have 10 states each needs to be re-written.  (I guess the Constitution needs to be re-written, anyway.)

Perhaps the voters did not clearly understand they were voting for a map which would not give an equal number of states to each region (since they also voted for a Constitution that said otherwise).  If this applies to you, please speak up.

Have you all noticed I'm a stickler for procedural detail?  Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2004, 05:07:42 PM »

I say again, I was against that, BUT the people chose it. what can I say - we are a democracy

Oh, sod the people. Smiley And tje regions map can't be changed, so wee must take care of that BEFORE the mid-terms, I'm afraid.
dunn

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2004, 05:10:47 PM »

The region map- which doesn't have 10 states each- was approved in the same voting where the Constitution was approved- the Constitution which clearly states that each region has 10 states.

In other words, the voters have approved contradictary proposals.  In my opinion, the vote for the Constitution supercedes the vote for which map to use.

If you go ahead with this map for regions, then the clause in the section stating regions have 10 states each needs to be re-written.  (I guess the Constitution needs to be re-written, anyway.)

Perhaps the voters did not clearly understand they were voting for a map which would not give an equal number of states to each region (since they also voted for a Constitution that said otherwise).  If this applies to you, please speak up.

Have you all noticed I'm a stickler for procedural detail?  Smiley
another goos reson to be progressive Wink
we are like that - Lewis, Peter, Emsworth, Siege, Nick and myself
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2004, 05:35:48 PM »

How about this:

Add Montana to the West
Add Missouri to the Southeast
Pretend North and South Dakota are only one state

Do I hear any objections from Dakota residents?  Anyone?

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2004, 05:38:48 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2004, 05:39:01 PM by VP Harry »

I think the current maps are fine.
In fact they are GREAT![/color][/b][/i][/u]
ShapeShifter

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2004, 05:39:49 PM »

I think the current maps are fine.
In fact they are GREAT![/color][/b][/i][/u]

I think so too.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2004, 05:44:35 PM »

How about this:

Add Montana to the West
Add Missouri to the Southeast
Pretend North and South Dakota are only one state

Do I hear any objections from Dakota residents?  Anyone?

For the record, I have NO objection to leaving the regions are they are.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2004, 06:23:56 PM »

Thats because you created it, Harry Cheesy

The regions need 10 states, and the distriicts need equal members, as per the constitution.

We can't change regions once they are set, and once we have senators for those regions-they are permanent, as it says in the constitution-so, lets settle it now.

I'll create a new thread JUST for 10 state proposals. I know it it the 50 millionth one, but we really need to get this right.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies