Arkansas GOP Voted To Ax Sex Ed In State With Highest Teen Pregnancy Rate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:55:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arkansas GOP Voted To Ax Sex Ed In State With Highest Teen Pregnancy Rate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Arkansas GOP Voted To Ax Sex Ed In State With Highest Teen Pregnancy Rate  (Read 2180 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 12:11:02 AM »

I assume someone has noted that a substantial percentage of teens getting pregnant not married, etc. want to do so. They assume that the stack is wired against them, and they don't have a future, so why not feel important, and have someone to love, by having a baby?  This issue is not going to be "solved" by having more health classes, or birth control available. It's far deeper and more intractable than that.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 12:29:21 AM »

Beebe still has the veto pen. Hoping for the best.

If Governor Herbert of Utah vetoed it (though in a special session after he originally signed it), then I'm sure Beebe will.
Veto's can be overridden with a simple majority in Arkansas though IIRC. Makes the governor's role borderline useless.

It usually works out that way in Utah as well, since the Governor is so spineless he's effectively the legislature's puppet. Sometimes it works out though, frex when he vetoed the "kill sex ed" bill and the "constitutional carry" bill.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 02:06:59 AM »

I assume someone has noted that a substantial percentage of teens getting pregnant not married, etc. want to do so. They assume that the stack is wired against them, and they don't have a future, so why not feel important, and have someone to love, by having a baby?  This issue is not going to be "solved" by having more health classes, or birth control available. It's far deeper and more intractable than that.

Precisely.  Teen pregnancy is the fault - as is everything else - of the ruling class.  It is Bill Gats and Warran Buffet we should be aborting.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »

Amen. Let us not forget that we are wired to make babies and this kicks in during the teenage years. We'd be better off investing in intact homes and keeping families together.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 10:42:31 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2013, 07:00:33 PM by Badger »

I assume someone has noted that a substantial percentage of teens getting pregnant not married, etc. want to do so. They assume that the stack is wired against them, and they don't have a future, so why not feel important, and have someone to love, by having a baby?  This issue is not going to be "solved" by having more health classes, or birth control available. It's far deeper and more intractable than that.

Amen. Let us not forget that we are wired to make babies and this kicks in during the teenage years. We'd be better off investing in intact homes and keeping families together.

Investing, like meybe working to avoid unplanned pregnancies which dramatically destabilize homes and famlies?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »

While it may seem more off-putting because they're teens, those kind of pregnancies are still planned pregnancies.  Those are not preventable, but they're fine.  They still have, theoretically, a mother who wants the love of a baby and will take good care of it, even if there is intense poverty involved.

It's the unwanted ones which are the trouble and those are fully preventable.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »

While it may seem more off-putting because they're teens, those kind of pregnancies are still planned pregnancies.  Those are not preventable, but they're fine.  They still have, theoretically, a mother who wants the love of a baby and will take good care of it, even if there is intense poverty involved.

"The trouble"?

Unwanted and unplanned are not the same.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »

"The trouble"?

It is for teenagers. Ergo the whole need for comprehensive sex ed in schools.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »

"The trouble"?

So there's never teenagers who have unplanned pregnancies and want their child? 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »

"The trouble"?

So there's never teenagers who have unplanned pregnancies and want their child? 

You phrased it as unwanted pregnancies. Even if a teen doesn't give up their child to adoption or have an abortion, there is hardly any teen who wants to be (and none who should be happy to be) pregnant when they discover it, unlike many adults with an unplanned pregnancy (my meighbors as a case inpoint now expecting their second as of two weeks ago Smiley).

We may be arguing semantics here, but the bottom line is just because some teen mothers get by and raise kids well does NOT mean we should sacrifice comprehensive sex education by looking for 'the bright side' of teen pregnancy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »

You probably all need to understand - if you don't already - that this has certain obvious links to class.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 07:50:29 PM »

I assume it was obvious, but for the record I am all in favor of sex education, from soup to nuts. I just don't think it is a panacea - in fact it is not even close to one.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 08:23:06 PM »

You probably all need to understand - if you don't already - that this has certain obvious links to class.

For those not in the know:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.guttmacher.org/media/nr/2011/08/24/index.html
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 06:15:53 PM »

I knew quite a few pregnant girls in high school and this was not my observation at all. There is an enormous stigma against being pregnant in high school, and it's not like teenagers are in the business of seeking out responsibility. Instead, there was a great deal of recklessness and excitement about sex. Suggesting that girls are trying to get pregnant is giving them way more foresight and planning than was common.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies