How will Bill Clinton be remembered? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:21:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How will Bill Clinton be remembered? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How will Bill Clinton be remembered?  (Read 8085 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: April 18, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »

Well, if anything I think his presidency will be remembered for scandal. Clinton had one of the most salacious scandal ridden presidencies in recent history- Gennifer Flowers, Paula Jones, Vince Foster's death, Travelgate, Whitewater and of course Monica Lewinsky. However, I think Clinton will be able to escape some of the blame as it has become clear that he had enemies who stopped at nothing to destroy him, even if it meant cooking up false scandals, which many of them were. While people will obviously remember the Lewinsky scandal far into the future, I think people will think of it as more of a witch hunt and a lesson in Republican hypocrisy than a personal failing of Bill Clinton. Think about it- in 1998 the Lewinsky scandal was shocking because it was the one of the first times a political sex scandal really blew up. But now we live in the internet age- many politicians have been caught with their pants down since Lewinsky and many many more will in the future thanks to technology that makes it harder to cover these things up. As this happens more and more we will become desensitized to it and wonder why in the hell a president was IMPEACHED for something that happens all the time.

I can't speak for the political aspects of his presidency. Again, I think he will also escape some of the blame for deregulation as people will note that Clinton had to deal with a GOP congress for six years and his hands were often tied. The brightest spot will be all the great work he did in his post presidency. Since he left office relatively young, he has had a lot of time to do great work and he will certainly be commended on that. I think he'll have sort of a "president to the world" reputation for that.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies