Illinois Driftless Area
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:05:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Illinois Driftless Area
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Illinois Driftless Area  (Read 1719 times)
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:43:36 AM »

Why has the area on the Illinois/Iowa border  trended so Democrat in recent years?  The area went solidly for Landon in '36 and a lot of counties in that area voted Goldwater in '64.  It was one of the few rural strongholds in the Great Lakes Region at that time.

Now, it's one of the few rural areas that votes D..........what changed?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »

Well, that area is home to a substantial urban area, in the form of the Quad cities.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »

Well, that area is home to a substantial urban area, in the form of the Quad cities.
Rockford is yet another major city of Republican ancestry.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:55:57 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2013, 02:06:34 PM by Torie »

I am not sure I agree with the premise. Over time, Whiteside in Illinois has trended strongly Dem for some reason, and to a lessor extent, Clinton across the river in Iowa. Dubuque on the other hand has trended Pub. One thing that does characterize the area is that it is quite "dovish." There is next to no military presence there, other than the Rock Island Arsenal, and the area is quite heavily German Catholic, with a dovish-isolationist streak. The area trended strongly to McGovern, and to Dukakis, as a result, and away from Bush in 2004.

My mother grew up in Davenport by the way. While Reno hyperbolically called itself the biggest little city in America, surely the Quad Cities are the smallest bigger city/metro area in America. It has maybe 350,000 people, and yet there is no there, there. I remember in college taking my grandmother to the fanciest restaurant in Davenport, and when I asked for the wine list, the waiter asked if I wanted red or white wine.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »

well one thing I've wondered is why they kept electing Don Manzullo who was basically a less outspoken Jesse Helms. He seemed like a bad fit for that district.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »

well one thing I've wondered is why they kept electing Don Manzullo who was basically a less outspoken Jesse Helms. He seemed like a bad fit for that district.

It was still a GOP leaning district with not much of a Dem bench outside Rockford.  Strangely enough, he won in 1992 by beating a one term Dem who had been the first Dem to hold that seat since the Civil War.  He was likely helped by the addition of McHenry county and the subtraction of some Dem tending counties in the Quad Cities media market.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »

McHenry when Manzullo got in was a hyper Pub county. It's trended pretty strongly Dem since then, along with the other Chicago collar counties.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »

My mother grew up in Davenport by the way. While Reno hyperbolically called itself the biggest little city in America, surely the Quad Cities are the smallest bigger city/metro area in America. It has maybe 350,000 people, and yet there is no there, there. I remember in college taking my grandmother to the fanciest restaurant in Davenport, and when I asked for the wine list, the waiter asked if I wanted red or white wine.
Maybe they had two lists.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »

Maybe they had two lists.

LOL.
Benj

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »

McHenry when Manzullo got in was a hyper Pub county. It's trended pretty strongly Dem since then, along with the other Chicago collar counties.

McHenry was still the second-most Republican county in northern Illinois in 2012, behind only Ogle.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies