American Parliament 1783-present!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:34:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  American Parliament 1783-present!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: American Parliament 1783-present!  (Read 16692 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »

9th Parliament:
Prime Minister: John Q. Adams
Deputy Prime Minister: Richard Rush
Leader of the Opposition: Andrew Jackson
Deputy Leader of the Opposition: John Calhoun
Governor General: James Madison
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2013, 07:51:59 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2013, 09:18:10 AM by TommyC1776 »

John Q. Adams is inaugurated Prime Minister on September 4, 1825.  He says "I want to thank the American public for having confidence in my leadership.  Over the next few years I plan to have better roads and canals as well as a national university.  Let's also continue the greatness we've been on.  I hope to do a lot as long as I'm Prime Minister.  Thank you and God Bless America."

Governor General Madison states "I want to say that I will try my best to work with Prime Minister Adams."

Wait and see what happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »

In early 1826 Prime Minister John Q. Adams proposes the National University Act.  It would create a national college in DC.  Adams feels he has enough support for this bill to pass both Houses.  In the House of Commons it passes 100-56.  In the House of Lords it ties 24-24.  The two Anti-Masons in the Lords and one Adams Democrat vote against it.  Therefore, it's up to the Governor General to vote "aye" or "nay" then sign it (if he chooses "aye").

On March 15, 1826 Governor General Madison decides to vote with the "ayes" and then signs it into law the next day.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2013, 10:45:31 AM by TommyC1776 »

On July 4th, 1826 former Prime Ministers John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die at their homes.  Current PM John Q. Adams (who doesn't know about Jeffersons death for a couple weeks) states "I lost m dad today.  It was 50 years ago today when all the colonies supported secession from England.  My father was one of the men at the forefront to forming the new Constitution we have today.  God Bless Dad.  I will miss you."

When hearing the news of Thomas Jefferson's death, he states "Mr. Jefferson was a great leader.  Him and my father had disagreements over time but they came to respect each other after leaving office.  I want to say sorry to the Jefferson family.  May God Bless Thomas Jefferson's family."

Then in the fall of 1826 Adams makes a speech before parliament condemning slavery.  He says that he wants to see it gone by the time he leaves office.  However even some of his supporters in the Commons and Lords are a little skeptical at this point.  Opposition Leader says " If this comes up for a vote it should be vetoed.  Southern Americans rely on slavery for the economy.  If you get rid of that then what do you have?"

Adams comes back and says "Mr. Jackson, with all respect we need to end slavery.  It's causing problems in the South.  Blacks deserve the same rights as you and me."

It comes up for a vote and it passes barely in the Commons by a 81-75 vote.  However in the Lords it has a more difficult time.  In the end it fails in the Lords but just a couple a votes.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2013, 11:40:34 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2013, 09:05:18 AM by TommyC1776 »

Later that fall Adams and the Adams Democrats propose the Tariff Act of 1826. This tariff protected industry in the north.  Southern MP's were furious.  Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson called this "the worst piece of legislation I've seen in a long time.  I hope it gets voted down.  If not then I'd like to see an early election to show that America doesn't want this."

Deputy Opposition Leader John Calhoun stands on the House floor for hours trying to stall a vote on this.  "This is what we've come to America?  Why are we snubbing the South here?  It's supposed to be states rights when it comes to issues like this.  We can't afford this type of tariff in the long run.  This is so despicable and wrong.  Vote no on the Tariff of 1826.  Thank you."

Debate goes on for weeks in the House.  Finally when it comes up for a vote it looks like the vote could be close.  PM Adams has meetings with the Adams Democratic Caucus members in hopes of securing a majority of their support.  Governor General Madison stays out of this matter right now.

Final Vote on Tariff Legislation in House of Commons:
79 Nays
77 Ayes

It barely fails in the Commons.  PM Adams says "This is a disappointing day in America.  However we will not let this stop us from governing.  Let's just move forward."

Wait for 1827.  Jackson may call for a vote of no confidence.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »

In early 1827 Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson asks to meet with Governor General James Madison.  He would like a vote of no confidence on the PM's behalf.  Madison gives the go ahead.  However, current PM John Q. Adams calls this "I have a majority government so, I feel I can keep my job."

Jackson comes back and says "Yeah but you lost votes on the tariff issues.  Therefore we must schedule a vote of no confidence."

Madison plans to make a speech to Parliament soon regarding if there will be a vote of no confidence.  Most likely he will schedule one.  Wait and see.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »

Governor General Madison calls for a vote of no confidence on Adams's leadership.  Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson feels that he can become PM once all the votes are in.

Also at this point, Governor General Madison says he will not run for reelection next year.  Potential candidates for Governor General are Oppositon Lord member Samuel Smith, George Washington Parke Custis and Daniel Webster.  However more could possibly be named.  Wait and see what happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2013, 10:22:09 PM by TommyC1776 »

At this point, a former General from the war of 1808-1811 with Britain, William Henry Harrison announces he wishes to succede Governor General James Madison.

By the end of summer Madison has a motion of no confidence scheduled.  Adams, at this point, feels a bit worried.

When the Motion of No Confidence vote is tallied, the votes are 80 for calling an election and 76 against.  Therefore, Adams's worst nightmare has occurred.

The election will occur in October 1827, in order for the Governor General election to still take place the following January in the Commons.  Whoever becomes PM will take office November 30th.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2013, 11:53:53 PM by TommyC1776 »

Election 1827:

Jackson Democrats
Adams/Northeast Democrats
Anti-Masons

House of Commons: 79 Jackson Democrats, 71 Northeast Democrats, 5 Anti-Masons, 1 Whig
House of Lords: 25  Jackson Democrats, 19 Northeast Democrats, 3 Anti-Masons, 1 Whig
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2013, 11:16:26 AM by TommyC1776 »

10th Parliament:
Prime Minister: Andrew Jackson
Deputy Prime Minister: John Calhoun
Leader of the Opposition: John Q. Adams
Deputy Leader of the Opposition: Henry Clay
Anti-Mason Leader: William Wirt
Governor General: James Madison

On November 30th, 1827 Andrew Jackson takes the office of Prime Minister.  He says "We will have a government which gives states more power than the federal government."

Get ready to see who will be picked as Governor General in January of 1828 in the House of Commons.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »

In early January 1828 members of the House of Commons meet to elect a new Governor General.

Governor General, 1828:
William H. Harrison, 95 votes
Samuel Smith, 37 votes
Daniel Webster, 21 votes
George W. Parke Custis, 3 votes

General William Henry Harrison has been elected Governor General and will take office on March 4, 1828 replacing James Madison.  Harrison says "Thank you members of the House of Commons for voting for me today.  It's a great pleasure to serve as Governor General.  We have a lot of work ahead to do.  Thanks and starting in March lets get things done."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »

On March 3, 1828 Governor General James Madison gives his farewell address.  He says "Thanks for giving me the chance to serve as Governor General.  I've enjoyed serving in this position and enjoyed all 3 Prime Ministers who've served this country. We're a great country and we will keep getting better.  I wish William Harrison all the luck in the world with this job.  Thanks and God Bless America."

On March 4, 1828 William H. Harrison is sworn in as Governor General.  He says "Thanks to the Commons for voting for me in January.  I also want to commemorate the great job James Madison has done as Governor General.  I hope to work well with the current Jackson government as well as future governments.  Lets get things done.  Thanks and God Bless America."

Prime Minister Jackson says "I'm very excited to be serving with Governor General Harrison."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »

On June 23, the Liberal Wars begin in Portugal.

Uruguay is recognized as a nation by mid summer.  Prime Minister Andrew Jackson issues a statement "I'm glad Uruguay has become independent.  Ever since we started our revolution back in 1776 we've inspired other nations to do the same."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »

In early January 1829 John Q. Adams resigns as Opposition Leader.  He will still represent Braintree in the Commons.  The new Opposition Leader is Henry Clay.

10th Parliament (modified)Sad
Prime Minister: Andrew Jackson
Deputy Prime Minister: John Calhoun
Opposition Leader: Henry Clay
Deputy Opposition Leader: John Sergeant
Anti-Mason Leader: William Wirt
Governor General: William H. Harrison
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2013, 09:31:21 AM by TommyC1776 »

As the summer of 1829 came about it was revealed that over 10 years earlier Deputy Prime Minister John Calhoun had wanted to censure, then General, Andrew Jackson.

By the early of 1830 it looked like Calhoun would split with his party and form the Nullifier Party.

Also, at this time, the Northeast (former Adams Dems) Democrats became the Whig Party.

Composition of New 10th Parliament:
House of Commons: 77 Democrats, 72 Whigs, 5 Anti-Masons, 2 Nullifiers
House of Lords: 24 Democrats, 20 Whigs, 3 Anti-Masons, 1 Nullifier

Now, in the Commons, Jackson had a minority government.  Martin Van Buren (D-Kinderhook) became Deputy Prime Minister.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2013, 11:14:39 PM »

With the split in the party Prime Minister's leadership is in trouble.  There's a proposed vote of no confidence in Jackson's leadership.

Vote of No Confidence:
81 against government
75 for government

Prime Minister Jackson asks Governor General William H. Harrison to call an election.  The election will be held in August 1830.  Campaigning across the country the Whigs feel they can win the election and form a new government.  Opposition Leader Henry Clay says "Prime Minister Jackson is a disgrace to his office.  He should lose this year."  Former DPM John Calhoun says "I hope Jackson learns his lesson from the split in the party earlier this year."  Jackson says "All my opponents can kiss my ass.  I'll win and win big this year.  Vote Democratic when you go to the polls."

Election 1830 coming soon.  Also in this election there will be 160 members of the House of Commons.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2013, 10:55:50 PM »

Election 1830:

Whigs
Democrats
Anti-Masons

House of Commons: 78 Whigs, 74 Democrats, 5 Anti-Masons, 3 Nullifiers
House of Lords: 24 Democrats, 23 Whigs, 1 Anti-Mason

The Whigs have a minority government in the Commons now.  However, with their minority government and the Democrats still controlling the Senate it's possible there could be another election in time.

The Prime Minister elect will be Henry Clay.  Jackson will stay on as Opposition Leader (as he feels he can win a majority government if there's another election called).

11th Parliament:
Prime Minister: Henry Clay
Deputy Prime Minister: John Sergeant
Opposition Leader: Andrew Jackson
Deputy Opposition Leader: Martin Van Buren
Governor General: William H. Harrison
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2013, 06:48:40 PM »

This is a great timeline Tommy!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »

I'm glad you continued this, even though I stopped my Parliamentary-America TL!
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »

I'm glad you continued this, even though I stopped my Parliamentary-America TL!

Thanks.  :-)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2013, 12:18:17 PM »

On September 4, 1830 Henry Clay takes the office of Prime Minister.  He says "I want to continue the progress that former Prime Minister John Quincy Adams did.  We will do as much as we can until our government fails.  Thank you and God Bless America."

Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson says "As long as the Democrats have the Senate Mr. Clay won't be able to get a lot done.  Therefore I hope to be Prime Minister again.  Thank you and God Bless America."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »

Prime Minister Clay decides to focus on keeping the Second Bank of the UPA and get the tariff passed that failed under John Q. Adams.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2013, 08:14:24 PM »

In late 1830 Prime Minister Henry Clay calls for a vote on the Tariff of 1830.  It states the same things as the 1827 one did.  Clay hopes he can gain votes from the minor parties in the Commons.  However, he knows its going to have a hard time in the Senate.

Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson wants to meet with Prime Minister Clay to see if they can compromise on the bill.  Jackson doesn't want to see the bill written the same way, as he feels it would harm the Southern economy.

At this point Prime Minister Clay says "I won't let a man try to force me to compromise on this tariff issue.  Jackson can kiss my ass if he wants me to compromise.  We will, one way or another, get enough votes for this in the Commons."

Jackson says "The Prime Minister is wrong for not wanting to compromise.  Hopefully in the next couple years there will be a vote of no confidence against this government."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »

Prime Minister Henry Clay decides to make a speech before both Houses.  He states "Governor General William Henry Harrison, Deputy Prime Minister John Sergeant, Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson, Deputy Opposition Leader Martin Van Buren, Commons Speaker John Taylor, Lord Speaker Robert Hayne, members of the Commons and the Lords and distinguished guests.  Welcome tonight.  I'm going to talk to you tonight about a tariff I'm proposing for our government to pass.  I think it's the right time to pass it and I will need all the support I can to get it through both Houses.  I know Mr. Jackson has criticized the bill saying it needs compromise.  Well, the compromise he wants I can't go with.  I'd rather fight hard and have the bill fail than compromise on principles of the South.  Yes, the south is apart of our nation, but we need to have America wake up and realize its time to pass this.  Thank you and Good Night.  God Bless America."

Privately Clay hopes he can get either the Nullifiers or the Anti-Masons to support this.  His main problem is in the Lords.  If there's a tie in the Lords it goes to the Governor General for his "yay" or "nay" vote.  He plans to meet with Lord Speaker Robert Hayne as well as other Democrats in the Senate to determine if he can see it passing.

Jackson goes on the floor after Clays speech and says "Hopefully it fails in one of the Houses.  We can't have this type of government.  We saw it during the John Q. Adams years and now were seeing it again under Henry Clay.  Lets show this government we don't want this tariff the way it is."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »

Former PM John Q. Adams comes out and writes a letter to be published in the newspaper stating "Americans, I feel that you must write your leaders and tell them that the best solution is to pass the tariff.  This is something that needs to be done.  Thank you."

Prime Minister Henry Clay decides to put the tariff to a vote on December 1st, 1830.  Opposition Leader, Andrew Jackson, says "We must stop this bill today.  Vote against it."  Clay feels he has enough support of his party and some of the Anti-Masons.  Clay needs 81 votes for it to pass House of Commons.  In the Lords he needs 25 votes or 24 votes with the Governor General's "aye" vote.

Governor General William Harrison states "I will stay out of this right now, unless my vote is needed in the event of a tie in the Lords."

At the last minute William Wirt (Leader of the Anti-Masons in the Commons) says he will most likely support the bill.  If so, and all 5 Anti-Masons do, the bill has chance of passing in the Commons.  The problem still is in the Lords.  At least 20 Democrats have said they will vote against it in the Lords.  Therefore Clay and the Whigs can still get the bill passed.

The night before the vote in the Commons, PM Clay says a prayer "God, I hope that the bill passes but, if it doesn't, let me still be able to govern.  Amen."

Wait and see what the vote will be.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies