Opinion of Memphis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:58:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Memphis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Opinion of Memphis  (Read 36087 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2013, 06:56:12 PM »

FF; the forum has overreacted massively, and Wyodon calling him a "prick" is so over the line.

There are few other words I can use to describe a misogynist; one who, I would remind you, would probably like to see you hanged in the town square for having a blue avatar.

It could be worse. People on the IRC have said far unkinder words, ones that I'm not going to repeat here out of respect for privacy and the TOS.
Lolwut? In addition to hating women, I also want to hang blue avatars? Any other bizarre and distasteful positions you want to make up for me this evening? Do I want to sodomize children and puppies too? Inquiring minds want to know.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2013, 07:07:43 PM »

FF; the forum has overreacted massively, and Wyodon calling him a "prick" is so over the line.

There are few other words I can use to describe a misogynist; one who, I would remind you, would probably like to see you hanged in the town square for having a blue avatar.

It could be worse. People on the IRC have said far unkinder words, ones that I'm not going to repeat here out of respect for privacy and the TOS.

Lolwut? In addition to hating women, I also want to hang blue avatars? Any other bizarre and distasteful positions you want to make up for me this evening? Do I want to sodomize children and puppies too? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don't play innocent. The generalizations you make about anyone to your right are plain as day for anyone to see on this forum. You generalize them and write them all off as some political devil.
Even if what you say is true, does generalizing about people mean that you must want to kill them? Get a grip. You're a bit unhinged.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2013, 07:08:55 PM »

Don't play innocent. The generalizations you make about anyone to your right are plain as day for anyone to see on this forum. You generalize them and write them all off as some political devil.
You have been here for like a month, and have 500 posts. You don't know Memphis as well as you think.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2013, 07:24:35 PM »

Even if what you say is true, does generalizing about people mean that you must want to kill them? Get a grip. You're a bit unhinged.

It's a figure of speech. You know what I mean. To put it completely bluntly, your attitude as a whole suggests you almost certainly think infinitely less of Sanchez than he does of you.
I have no idea what you mean. You've been ascribing crazed positions to me so erratically that I have no way of knowing which are figurative and which are literal. You've worked yourself into such a frenzy that you're quite difficult to interpret.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »

This thread is a fine example of how those on the left cause rural poor people to vote against their own interest.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »

What I'm calling you is an insensitive, transphobic misogynist who looks down on anyone who disagrees with him. It's hardly difficult to understand - you've plenty demonstrated all of the above on your own.
Strong stuff. I would like some citations, but with a prequisite. I want you to look up the underlined words in a dictionary first.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »

According to recent exit polling, 40% of this forum approves of transphobia, sexism, and ignorance.

That's pretty much my day.  Transphobia, sexism, and ignorance.  And those are the exact three things I was thinking of when I voted FF.  

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »

Identifying as cisgendered is about as useful as identifying as a non-lawyer or not a paper bag.

The point isn't to identify as that, the point is to have a word for it. Very few people identify as civilian, and yet we have a word for that because it's useful.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »

transphobia should mean the fear of crossing a boundary or landscape feature.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2013, 09:02:27 PM »

Guess so!  It's so hard to keep up these days, isn't it?

"What do we want?"
"Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender-Queer-Questioning-Intersex-Asexual-Allies-Pansexual-Cisgender Rights!"
"When do we want them?"
"NOW!"

It's catchy.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2013, 09:17:19 PM »

"What do we want?"
"Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender-Queer-Questioning-Intersex-Asexual-Allies-Pansexual-Cisgender Rights!"
"When do we want them?"
"NOW!"

It's catchy.

I've heard there's a 2S on the end (for two-spirit): LGBTQQIAAPC2S Equality Now!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »

"What do we want?"
"When do we want them?"
"NOW!"

It's catchy.

If you have cisgender in it, you should have heterosexual too.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »

"What do we want?"
"When do we want them?"
"NOW!"

It's catchy.

If you have cisgender in it, you should have heterosexual too.

Allies, I believe.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »

So a person who is born male, identifies solely as a man and is straight is cisterned. I'm not really sure why this level of categorization is needed or even desired, but I'm sure it has some sort of use in specialized conversation.

Specialized conversation is what we would be having here, in an ideal world.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:27 AM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2013, 12:44:31 AM »

sometimes I think for a second he's talking about himself in the third person
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2013, 12:48:37 AM »

sometimes I think for a second he's talking about himself in the third person

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that xD
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2013, 03:25:48 AM »

FF.

Can’t say I 100% agree with him on ‘that’ topic, but if I took the position some of you are taking in labelling him everything under the sun, I’d have no straight male friends left.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2013, 03:53:43 AM »

I'm actually fairly popular with women who don't have penises. They're a much friendlier and relaxed bunch than the ones that do. Most of them don't needlessly view their lives through the constant prism of oppression.

Hey, Memphis, here's an idea. Maybe trans* women are more likely to point out the challenges inherent in being a women because they have experienced the difference first-hand.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »

transphobia should mean the fear of crossing a boundary or landscape feature.

40% of us approve of ignorance of that. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »

I'm actually fairly popular with women who don't have penises. They're a much friendlier and relaxed bunch than the ones that do. Most of them don't needlessly view their lives through the constant prism of oppression.

Hey, Memphis, here's an idea. Maybe trans* women are more likely to point out the challenges inherent in being a women because they have experienced the difference first-hand.
This is not true at all. They know what it is like to be a trans person, and that probably is a difficult thing. Projecting that experience onto actually being a woman is not accurate. They have no more experience being a woman than I do.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »

You should stop, given the little you know about certain realities. Leaving aside what you consider being actually a woman or not, how would you categorize trans persons who have a feminine physical appearance, after hormones and surgeries, and live socially integrated?  Because social life is a part of the experience of being a man or a woman. In many cases you couldn't make the distinction between the 'transgendered' women and the 'actual' ones. Given that appearances play a great role in our societies, you couldn't call men to human beings that look like women. And don't tell me that you have a radar to detect transsexuality.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »

This is not true at all. They know what it is like to be a trans person, and that probably is a difficult thing. Projecting that experience onto actually being a woman is not accurate. They have no more experience being a woman than I do.

Huh

For me, personally, I came out and transitioned in between high school and college, which means that everyone I know except family never knew me when I was living as male. I present female now and the way I look nobody guesses that I'm trans. I do tell my close friends, but other than that nobody. Point being that people in the world treat me the same way they would treat any other woman. So when I say "society tells women x", I'm certain I have more credibility than you do, given that you have probably never been perceived or treated as female in your life.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »

Huh

For me, personally, I came out and transitioned in between high school and college, which means that everyone I know except family never knew me when I was living as male. I present female now and the way I look nobody guesses that I'm trans. I do tell my close friends, but other than that nobody. Point being that people in the world treat me the same way they would treat any other woman. So when I say "society tells women x", I'm certain I have more credibility than you do, given that you have probably never been perceived or treated as female in your life.
Perception is not the same thing as reality. You can put on all the dresses and take all the hormones you want. It sincerely doesn't offend or affect me. You can also wear high heeled shoes and make people think that you are taller than you really are too. If it makes you feel better about yourself, go for it. However, you're still a guy and your experiences and perceptions are drastically different than those who grew up and continue to be female without the trans trauma. Not there there is a universal female experience, obviously.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »

I don't get it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies