Opinion of Memphis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:38:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Memphis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Opinion of Memphis  (Read 36014 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »

memphis, for all our sakes please stop digging yourself deeper.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »

I'm actually fairly popular with women who don't have penises. They're a much friendlier and relaxed bunch than the ones that do. Most of them don't needlessly view their lives through the constant prism of oppression.

Hey, Memphis, here's an idea. Maybe trans* women are more likely to point out the challenges inherent in being a women because they have experienced the difference first-hand.
This is not true at all. They know what it is like to be a trans person, and that probably is a difficult thing. Projecting that experience onto actually being a woman is not accurate. They have no more experience being a woman than I do.

Huh

For me, personally, I came out and transitioned in between high school and college, which means that everyone I know except family never knew me when I was living as male. I present female now and the way I look nobody guesses that I'm trans. I do tell my close friends, but other than that nobody. Point being that people in the world treat me the same way they would treat any other woman. So when I say "society tells women x", I'm certain I have more credibility than you do, given that you have probably never been perceived or treated as female in your life.
Perception is not the same thing as reality. You can put on all the dresses and take all the hormones you want. It sincerely doesn't offend or affect me. You can also wear high heeled shoes and make people think that you are taller than you really are too. If it makes you feel better about yourself, go for it. However, you're still a guy and your experiences and perceptions are drastically different than those who grew up and continue to be female without the trans trauma. Not there there is a universal female experience, obviously.

We are talking about how society treats drj101. Read her post again.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »

I'm actually fairly popular with women who don't have penises. They're a much friendlier and relaxed bunch than the ones that do. Most of them don't needlessly view their lives through the constant prism of oppression.

Hey, Memphis, here's an idea. Maybe trans* women are more likely to point out the challenges inherent in being a women because they have experienced the difference first-hand.
This is not true at all. They know what it is like to be a trans person, and that probably is a difficult thing. Projecting that experience onto actually being a woman is not accurate. They have no more experience being a woman than I do.

Huh

For me, personally, I came out and transitioned in between high school and college, which means that everyone I know except family never knew me when I was living as male. I present female now and the way I look nobody guesses that I'm trans. I do tell my close friends, but other than that nobody. Point being that people in the world treat me the same way they would treat any other woman. So when I say "society tells women x", I'm certain I have more credibility than you do, given that you have probably never been perceived or treated as female in your life.
Perception is not the same thing as reality. You can put on all the dresses and take all the hormones you want. It sincerely doesn't offend or affect me. You can also wear high heeled shoes and make people think that you are taller than you really are too. If it makes you feel better about yourself, go for it. However, you're still a guy and your experiences and perceptions are drastically different than those who grew up and continue to be female without the trans trauma. Not there there is a universal female experience, obviously.

His perception of how society treats him is different than most women's perceptions of their own lives because of his circumstances. Read my post again.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2013, 02:23:30 PM »

Wait, Dr J is a female impersonator as well?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2013, 02:27:57 PM »

Technically, she was born a male impersonator, but yeah.

Huh

His perception of how society treats him is different than most women's perceptions of their own lives because of his circumstances. Read my post again.

Her perception of how society treats her is as a woman. Society treats her as a woman. She knows what it's like to be treated as a woman. Get that into your head.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2013, 02:35:03 PM »

It's a harmless hobby. I don't hold it against him.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »

memphis, why do you insist on not even pretending to understand trans issues or doing even the basic respect of...ugh, never mind.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »

memphis, why do you insist on not even pretending to understand trans issues or doing even the basic respect of...ugh, never mind.

Isn't the problem here the weightiness and seriousness with which you address a very fun, silly, amusing - and yes titillating - topic: men dressing up as ladies and searching for ****.  I think people could accept you better if you were more camp and not so anhedonic.  Tell us some size queen jokes or bum-mishap tales along with your political message, and it will go down easier.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »

Thank you for the advice, but I'm afraid I don't have any size queen jokes or bum-mishap tales. Even so, I assure you I'm considerably campier in real life than I am here.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »

It's a harmless hobby. I don't hold it against him.

Well, the fact that you disrespect her by using the wrong pronoun makes it hard to believe that.

And, yes, it is simply just a matter of basic respect.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »

Thank you for the advice, but I'm afraid I don't have any size queen jokes or bum-mishap tales. Even so, I assure you I'm considerably campier in real life than I am here.

Well those are just two suggestions - its hard to achieve camp in text stylistically, so sometimes you need campy content. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »

I don't pretend to understand psychology. And I'm very suspicious of those who claim to. Not even the best medical professionals understand more than bit about the brain and how it works. I do, however understand the basics of human anatomy, English language pronouns, and their intersection. Those issues are pretty simple.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2013, 03:13:48 PM »

I don't pretend to understand psychology. And I'm very suspicious of those who claim to. Not even the best medical professionals understand more than bit about the brain and how it works. I do, however understand the basics of human anatomy, English language pronouns, and their intersection. Those issues are pretty simple.

May I simply request that you step back, take a breath, and at least entertain the possibilty that:

a) these issues might not be simple, and that
b) other people know more about them than you do.

That shouldn't be hard for any reasonable person to do, no?
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2013, 03:18:33 PM by rejectamenta »

Is it really so controversial to think a twenty-something might have distinct perspectives on things after spending an entire childhood and adolescence as one sex before identifying as the other?

E: and by "spending" I mean being treated as that one sex by society and others. I realize most trans people identify themselves as their desired sex/gender long before they take any steps to physically match those identities.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »

Look, memphis. Though I certainly don't approve of a lot of the things you're saying about women (including and especially transgendered women), I actually have an idea where you're coming from. You're clearly a smart person who's thought through many of these positions, but there are 7 billion differing perspectives on the world, and it's impossible to truly understand any but your own. I find that much of my former resentment of transgendered people came from an inability to grasp that concept. Accept others for who they are, for neither you nor I are in a position to judge.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »

The only thing I've learned from all this is memphis is fairly handsome, but the women of Memphis leave much to be desired.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »

I'm not resenting or judging anybody. As I've said many times, if a guy wants to wear a dress and take hormones, it doesn't effect me or bother me. Full stop. However, I'm a bit of a stickler regarding baloney. I was the kid in 2nd grade jumping up and down insisting that Santa Claus was not real. The dress and the hormones do not magically turn a man into a woman even if they make him happy and he strongly wishes they would. I also rather resent King's comment. I am not currently dating any of the ladies pictured, but they are all beautiful inside and out.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2013, 04:10:14 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

However, I'm a bit of a stickler regarding baloney. I was the kid in 2nd grade jumping up and down insisting that Santa Claus was not real.

Good to know your smug self-satisfaction isn't a new thing for you, I guess.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2013, 04:15:49 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2013, 11:17:52 AM by Badger »

He doesn't seem to get women or gender or any of that jazz at all which is impressive for someone claiming to be an adult. His statement that it's easier for women to get high-paid jobs like CEOs is a memorable example of a total disconnect with reality.

If he had a blue avatar he would have been bullied off the forum a long time ago, but the anti-intellectual left on here (Lief, Opebo, et al) tend to have a soft spot for fellow misogynist anti-thinkers.

One of the relatively rare cases when I can vote HP and mean it literally.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »

He's clearly a massive douche and not particularly smart about it either. He doesn't seem to get women or gender or any of that jazz at all which is impressive for someone claiming to be an adult. His statement that it's easier for women to get high-paid jobs like CEOs is a memorable example of a total disconnect with reality.

If he had a blue avatar he would have been bullied off the forum a long time ago, but the anti-intellectual left on here (Lief, Opebo, et al) tend to have a soft spot for fellow misogynist anti-thinkers.

So you also promote bullying?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »

He's clearly a massive douche and not particularly smart about it either. He doesn't seem to get women or gender or any of that jazz at all which is impressive for someone claiming to be an adult. His statement that it's easier for women to get high-paid jobs like CEOs is a memorable example of a total disconnect with reality.

So you also promote bullying?

Nope. Merely noting a fact.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »

the anti-intellectual left on here (Lief)

lol what?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »

Can we de-mod Gus pending a psych evaluation? He's obviously emotionally unstable and may be a risk to himself or others.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »

That thread has definitively left tracks.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »

However, I'm a bit of a stickler regarding baloney. I was the kid in 2nd grade jumping up and down insisting that Santa Claus was not real.

Good to know your smug self-satisfaction isn't a new thing for you, I guess.
So sorry I refuse to suspend reality to reinforce your fantasies.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies