HI 2014 Congressional Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:13:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 48225 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »

No surprise. At least there's no realistic chance of losing this seat to the Republicans.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2013, 12:44:38 AM »

I still honestly do not understand why Hanabusa is running beyond "Inouye said so".
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2013, 12:46:11 AM »

Yes!
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2013, 01:05:41 AM »

So childish.....

Plus seeing how Hawaiian Senate seats have life terms, they would be wiser to give their seat to someone who can be in it longer. Schatz is what, 20 years younger? Its not like his voting will differ from her's at all.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2013, 06:31:34 AM »

So childish.....

Plus seeing how Hawaiian Senate seats have life terms, they would be wiser to give their seat to someone who can be in it longer. Schatz is what, 20 years younger? Its not like his voting will differ from her's at all.

I agree, there is no reason for her to primary him other than pure ambition of the worst order.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2013, 07:22:30 AM »

Hanabusa wants to be Senator. So? Schatz was never popularly elected. Why not put him to the test?
Knives
solopop
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2013, 07:51:23 AM »

Hanabusa wants to be Senator. So? Schatz was never popularly elected. Why not put him to the test?

And we need more women in the senate.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2013, 09:44:33 AM »

My question is, if Schatz hasn't had any problematic votes, if he hasn't had any questionable personal behavior, if he hasn't embarrassed the party, if he's on the right track to seniority and a chairmanship (probably) if he hasn't said anything bad, if he hasn't been a part of any controversy (besides his appointment), then why primary him? I just don't see any real justification for Hanabusa to primary Schatz. Yes, she can do it if she wants, but why?

EDIT: Yeah, there's the "we need more women/people of minority descent in the Senate" argument, but beyond that, nothing.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »

For a personally ambitious pol in a one-party state with very rare federal openings... primaries are the only way.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »

For a personally ambitious pol in a one-party state with very rare federal openings... primaries are the only way.

That.

Ask Ed Case.
Benj

« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2013, 12:46:30 PM by Benj »

My question is, if Schatz hasn't had any problematic votes, if he hasn't had any questionable personal behavior, if he hasn't embarrassed the party, if he's on the right track to seniority and a chairmanship (probably) if he hasn't said anything bad, if he hasn't been a part of any controversy (besides his appointment), then why primary him? I just don't see any real justification for Hanabusa to primary Schatz. Yes, she can do it if she wants, but why?

EDIT: Yeah, there's the "we need more women/people of minority descent in the Senate" argument, but beyond that, nothing.

That's a reason for you not to vote for her, not a reason for her not to run.

I think the personal-vendetta part of this is ridiculous. Hanabusa certainly wasn't "entitled" to the seat, and every time her supporters whine about that, she loses legitimacy. But there's nothing wrong with running in a primary against a decent incumbent. Doesn't mean I'll vote for you if I prefer the incumbent on the issues (or competence), but the fact that Hanabusa isn't the incumbent should not, by itself, stop anyone from supporting her. Schatz is no more entitled to the seat than Hanabusa is.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »

That's a reason for you not to vote for her, not a reason for her not to run.

I think the personal-vendetta part of this is ridiculous. Hanabusa certainly wasn't "entitled" to the seat, and every time her supporters whine about that, she loses legitimacy. But there's nothing wrong with running in a primary against a decent incumbent. Doesn't mean I'll vote for you if I prefer the incumbent on the issues (or competence), but the fact that Hanabusa isn't the incumbent should not, by itself, stop anyone from supporting her. Schatz is no more entitled to the seat than Hanabusa is.

Well, sure, that's fine for her to run, I'm not disputing that. And Schatz isn't entitled to the seat either. It's just that I think there needs to be a reason for running, however flimsy it may be. You can go "blah blah blah we need leadership in Washington, the incumbent hasn't provided leadership" or "My opponent voted no on giving orphans a hug" or whatever, I just think that if you're running for a seat, you need to provide a legitimate reason for why you're better than the current holder. And that applies to both parties. I'm not in favor of needless incumbency, but if Schatz has proved to be a decent incumbent, then what specific reason does she have for challenging him?

There has to be something she can run against Schatz if she's going to primary him. I just don't like the idea of running for barely-disguised ambition. If Hanabusa can give one reason why Schatz must go, then fine, my objections will vanish. If she's running against him from the right, fine. If she's running against him from the left, fine. If she's running on a single issue, fine. If she doesn't think Schatz has pushed hard enough on something, okay. If she thinks he's been embarrassing to Hawaii, alright.

But to challenge him for no reason other than advancement is silly.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »

Irene Hirono Inouye, the late Senator's widow, endorsed Hanabusa.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »

No surprise.

I sincerely hope Hanabusa wins this race.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2013, 02:11:13 AM »

That.

Ask Ed Case.

I'm hoping Hanabusa gets smashed like Ed Case.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2013, 03:59:08 AM »

That.

Ask Ed Case.

I'm hoping Hanabusa gets smashed like Ed Case.

Thankfully that's not likely to happen, so sucks for you.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2013, 04:25:59 AM »

Hawaii isn't exactly lacking non-white females in their federal delegation. Schatz is kind of the diversity candidate there.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »

Because she wants to be Senator! It doesn't get any simpler than that.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2013, 07:52:18 AM »

Hawaii isn't exactly lacking non-white females in their federal delegation. Schatz is kind of the diversity candidate there.

She would be a minority in the Senate.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2013, 11:13:12 AM »

Okay, I completely understand, but usually when a candidate for any office runs for that office, they provide a justification for why the current person sucks at their job, or isn't right for the job. Most candidates don't simply run on "I wanted to". Hanbusa may clarify why she's running, but as it is, I don't see anything she could target Schatz on.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »

I honestly don't care who wins in this race, since I don't live in Hawai'i, but it would be preferable to keep the governship, both House seats, and both Senate seats in Democratic hands, and with as liberal of Democrats as possible, so I hope the Hawai'i Democratic Party does what it takes to achieve that result.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »

And we should give a sh*t about what Hanabusa wants, because... ?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »

And we should give a sh*t about what Hanabusa wants, because... ?

To most people, there's more to politics than making sure "my side" wins. Especially in a seat that's not really going to be contested in the general election.

A better way to put it is that Hanabusa believes that she'll make a better Senator.

I suppose we'll see if the Hawaiian electorate shares that sentiment.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »

The point is why should we believe she would make a better Senator? I haven't read a single thing in this entire thread that would lead me to believe she would (whereas there are a few ones about Schatz).
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »

The point is why should we believe she would make a better Senator? I haven't read a single thing in this entire thread that would lead me to believe she would (whereas there are a few ones about Schatz).

Eh. They both have records (that I'm not familiar with). Seems perfectly reasonable for someone to prefer one over the other on the basis of that. Primaries happen. If not, why do we even bother with nonpartisan elections? (in fairness, a lot of people don't)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies