HI 2014 Congressional Elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:49:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 48761 times)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« on: May 05, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »

My question is, if Schatz hasn't had any problematic votes, if he hasn't had any questionable personal behavior, if he hasn't embarrassed the party, if he's on the right track to seniority and a chairmanship (probably) if he hasn't said anything bad, if he hasn't been a part of any controversy (besides his appointment), then why primary him? I just don't see any real justification for Hanabusa to primary Schatz. Yes, she can do it if she wants, but why?

EDIT: Yeah, there's the "we need more women/people of minority descent in the Senate" argument, but beyond that, nothing.

Because she wants to be Senator! It doesn't get any simpler than that.

And we should give a sh*t about what Hanabusa wants, because... ?

To most people, there's more to politics than making sure "my side" wins. Especially in a seat that's not really going to be contested in the general election.

A better way to put it is that Hanabusa believes that she'll make a better Senator.

I suppose we'll see if the Hawaiian electorate shares that sentiment.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »

The point is why should we believe she would make a better Senator? I haven't read a single thing in this entire thread that would lead me to believe she would (whereas there are a few ones about Schatz).

Eh. They both have records (that I'm not familiar with). Seems perfectly reasonable for someone to prefer one over the other on the basis of that. Primaries happen. If not, why do we even bother with nonpartisan elections? (in fairness, a lot of people don't)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies