George W. Bush now as popular as Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:13:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  George W. Bush now as popular as Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: George W. Bush now as popular as Obama  (Read 4655 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 01:52:40 PM »

Well, we are a stupid, spoiled, racist, dumb-**** of a nation...  this surprises anybody? 

Yes, we are a forgiving nation, regardless of the other adjectives you might care to use, my friend.
Forgiving is definitely the word. I think Obama and Bush are both good men who have tried to do what they think is the best for this country, whether they have succeeded or not is a different story.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 01:55:21 PM »

Well, we are a stupid, spoiled, racist, dumb-**** of a nation...  this surprises anybody? 

Yes, we are a forgiving nation, regardless of the other adjectives you might care to use, my friend.
Forgiving is definitely the word. I think Obama and Bush are both good men who have tried to do what they think is the best for this country, whether they have succeeded or not is a different story.

I agree.  Wait until you hear Obama at the Bush Library dedication.  No matter how much he uses the blame Bush game in speeches (without mentioning his name), the President's club is a tight knit group on a personal level and I think they chat more than we might imagine....except that Carter hates Clinton.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

However:

People are surprised at this?  Ex-Presidents gain popularity in a meteoric way, especially when they're quiet and out of the limelight instead of busting their predecessors balls.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »

25% of Democrats approve? Uh, okay, not sure if I'm buying that one.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »

BREAKING: Margaret Thatcher had a state funeral* last Wednesday

*In all but name
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »

Just wait for him to open his mouth again. People seem to forget the endless scandals, nepotism, and general incompetence.

It wasn't just Iraq, Katrina, and the Economic Crash.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »

Just wait for him to open his mouth again. People seem to forget the endless scandals, nepotism, and general incompetence.

Bush caused Hurricane Katrina?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 03:16:43 PM »

Well, they are pretty similar in policy.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 03:21:36 PM »

No, but it was the breaking point after which his approvals never recovered into positive territory.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 03:23:11 PM »

No, but it was the breaking point after which his approvals never recovered into positive territory.

True.  And most of the problem can be laid squarely at Nagin's feet......but Bush paid for it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »

I'm kind of on the opposite side of the equation - I don't think either of them should have a 50% popularity rating. Both are egotistical products of the establishment who never ought to have been elected in the first place. (Not that their various opponents were better.) They've both succeeded in selling out the country to Wall Street. I guess as a nation of dumb-****'s, we're getting the government we deserve.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 03:59:06 PM »

True.  And most of the problem can be laid squarely at Nagin's feet......but Bush paid for it.
I disagree. We like to think that our leaders, local state and federal, control far more than they do. Katrina was nobody's fault. Maybe the long dead real estate developers who built neighborhoods in drained swamps, but really, sometimes Mother Nature just gives you big middle finger. Katrina was on a scale with just a few parallels in American History. The San Francisco Earthquake of 1906. The Great Chicago Fire. Hurricane Galveston. When an entire major city is destroyed by nature, policy makers don't have a lot of options. You can't put Humpty Dumpty back together again. I was impressed to see how good New Orleans looked when I was there over Christmas though. I was expecting far worse.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 04:05:11 PM »

I'm kind of on the opposite side of the equation - I don't think either of them should have a 50% popularity rating. Both are egotistical products of the establishment who never ought to have been elected in the first place. (Not that their various opponents were better.) They've both succeeded in selling out the country to Wall Street. I guess as a nation of dumb-****'s, we're getting the government we deserve.

Amen.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 04:10:12 PM »

I agree.  Wait until you hear Obama at the Bush Library dedication.  No matter how much he uses the blame Bush game in speeches (without mentioning his name), the President's club is a tight knit group on a personal level and I think they chat more than we might imagine....except that Carter hates Clinton.
I've always wondered why everyone else seemed so close. The Bushes, Clinton & Bush 41, Nixon & Ford, Nixon & Clinton. Clinton & Obama. You never hear about Carter and anyone. He's always been the oddball.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »

Look at who he put in charge of FEMA, and how competently it was managed, especially in the immediate run-up to and aftermath of the hurricane.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 05:01:42 PM »

By the end of Obama's term I bet he'll be slightly ahead.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »

It's irrelevant, but still incredible. Dubya is a consensus bottom-ten president (and many place him bottom-five). Obama will be placed somewhere in the middle, I assume.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 05:51:39 PM »

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »

The American public has an awfully short memory.

If they didn't, George W. Bush never would have won in the first place.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

Yea... I'll forgive you for what you did but I'm still never going to approve of such a massive string of incompetence-laden ****-ups. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »

So really, where are all these Democrats that like George Bush now?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2013, 07:46:02 PM by King »

Realistically he was never more unpopular than the 46% who supported John McCain, 40% at worst.  

Most of Bush's popularity was anger amongst his own party, but they were still people who would vote for him against a Democrat.  The same thing happened in 2011 when Obama was soundly beating Romney & Co. in head-to-head match ups despite having approval ratings 10 points under.  It was angry liberals who would never support a Republican to be elected as an alternative.

So really, where are all these Democrats that like George Bush now?

West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana....
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »

I knew that one was coming, King. Tongue

Most of those states are pretty insignificant though (at least in terms of population).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies