Will We Ever Have an Atheist President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 08:49:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will We Ever Have an Atheist President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Will We Ever Have an Atheist President?  (Read 13757 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2013, 06:34:27 AM »

I sure hope not.  That's the last thing America needs.  I'm afraid an atheist president would advocate for getting rid of all Christian symbols from the country, such as the Nativity or the Cross, or the Ten Commandments and while he wouldn't shut churches down, he would actually discourage going to church.  He would probably take prayer out of the beginning of each Congressional session.

The day America has an atheist president is the day it begins its downfall.

That said, I don't think it will ever happen.  I think Christ will be coming back to earth very soon and if He tarries, He won't allow an atheist president.

Why? America isn't special.

Just what I believe, whether it happens or not.

We're still going to electing leaders once Christ returns?

No, when Christ comes back and defeats the Anti-Israel armies at the Battle of Armageddon, he will remove all human government and will rule Himself.  He will reign for 1,000 years before Satan is forever banished to the Lake of Fire.  During the 1,000 year reign, he will lock Satan up and there will be no injustice, no wars, no one will learn war, so there will be no military, there will be no natural disasters.  There will truly be peace on earth and good will toward men.  There will still be funerals during the 1,000 years, but lifespans will be returned to where they were at the beginning of Genesis where children die at 100 and old men live 900+ years.  After the 1,000 years is up, Christ will loose Satan out of his prison for a time to deceive the nations before being eternally banished to the Lake of Fire.  However, those who know Christ as their personal Lord and Savior will be caught up in the rapture which will happen before the Battle of Armageddon and will reign with Christ during the 1,000 years.  Then, after Satan is eternally banished, there is no telling what Christ has in store for those who believe.

Don't believe me?  Read the book of Revelation.

So, when Christ returns democracy will basically replaced with a theocratic dictatorship? Sounds pretty terrible IMO.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2013, 07:51:19 AM »

At best, The Apocalypse of John might have some value in a figurative sense, assuming that its inclusion the canon is not an error.  But as a literal description of what will happen in the future?  Nope.

Again, it's called Prophesy.  Since the Bible is 100% inerrant, there is no reason to throw out the book of Revelation.  In fact, it is extremely dangerous to do so.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »

I sure hope not.  That's the last thing America needs.  I'm afraid an atheist president would advocate for getting rid of all Christian symbols from the country, such as the Nativity or the Cross, or the Ten Commandments and while he wouldn't shut churches down, he would actually discourage going to church.  He would probably take prayer out of the beginning of each Congressional session.

The day America has an atheist president is the day it begins its downfall.

That said, I don't think it will ever happen.  I think Christ will be coming back to earth very soon and if He tarries, He won't allow an atheist president.

Why? America isn't special.

Just what I believe, whether it happens or not.

We're still going to electing leaders once Christ returns?

No, when Christ comes back and defeats the Anti-Israel armies at the Battle of Armageddon, he will remove all human government and will rule Himself.  He will reign for 1,000 years before Satan is forever banished to the Lake of Fire.  During the 1,000 year reign, he will lock Satan up and there will be no injustice, no wars, no one will learn war, so there will be no military, there will be no natural disasters.  There will truly be peace on earth and good will toward men.  There will still be funerals during the 1,000 years, but lifespans will be returned to where they were at the beginning of Genesis where children die at 100 and old men live 900+ years.  After the 1,000 years is up, Christ will loose Satan out of his prison for a time to deceive the nations before being eternally banished to the Lake of Fire.  However, those who know Christ as their personal Lord and Savior will be caught up in the rapture which will happen before the Battle of Armageddon and will reign with Christ during the 1,000 years.  Then, after Satan is eternally banished, there is no telling what Christ has in store for those who believe.

Read Revelation. Still don't agree. Welcome to the wonderful world of amillennialism
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »

Wait, I thought Obama was an atheist?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »

Wait, I thought Obama was an atheist?

Nah, he's a Muslim Communist,
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2013, 11:29:20 AM by Leofwine (DemPGH), Atty. Gen. »

You know, they always compared the first female president to the first minority president - which would come first? We got that answer, and it's no big deal. The world did not end, the black helicopters did not arrive, the anti-Christ did not show up, and so on. It could well be that the first female president follows the first minority president, to boot.

Now, I think we can compare the first openly atheist president to the first openly gay president. It might all sound a little corny, but to be honest these are big social hurdles. It's anyone's guess when these firsts will occur, but they will. And as recent history shows with the gay movement and finally some acceptance of it, when our society changes, it changes fairly quickly.

The group of religious "nones" is remarkably rising, especially amongst young people. If there is a serious movement away from an expectation that people be among the faithful in the coming generation, it's very possible to have an openly atheist president, although I admit that that would have to be quite some movement. Twenty-five years or so, though, is longer than you think. We'll have to see.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »

Your answer shows that you read the book, but didn't understand it. Every generation has claimed the 'Revelation prophesy' is about to occur... and they've all been wrong.

The first generation that read it may not have been wrong.  Many biblical scholars believe that except for the final passage it refers to the Jewish Wars of the 1st and 2nd century.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2013, 11:45:28 AM »

Bushie is quite nuts but I suppose we knew that already.

Anyway, people may tell pollsters they're more willing to vote for a Muslim than an atheist but I'm highly skeptical about that actually being the case. Just put a regular Joe who happens to be an atheist against a dark skinned, bearded, devout Muslim and see what happens...

No, put a regular Joe who happens to be an atheist against a regular Joe who happens to be a Muslim. You've got to control all your variables, you see.

A ''regular Joe'' has to be able to have the occasional beer... Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »

An atheist, muslim, communist anti-American liberal, to be precise.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 11:55:56 AM »

An atheist, muslim, communist anti-American liberal, to be precise.

That's redundant.  Aren't liberals by definition anti-American?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2013, 12:25:50 PM »

I commend Bushie for his faith, but I'd be curious to know what he thinks of this:

If you believe in God, I would assume you believe that almost everything that happens on this planet, one way or another, comes from Him. So even if men wrote the Bible (which, of course, they did), the going argument is that God guided those men so that they might do His work. The thing is, everything is God's work. Now, I'll admit that I'm not the biggest believer in Satan, so maybe that's why I'm a bit confused, but couldn't you say that something as terrible as Hurricane Katrina was God's bidding? If so, it's pretty hard to fathom why God does what he does. I accept that He sent Hurricane Katrina to New Orleans; I accept that He used men to write the Bible. Still though, I can't profess to know why He did those things or what His motivations were. God creates fallible things all the time—I mean, he created man for crying out loud. Other than your faith, what makes you so sure that the Bible is exempt from all the other rules of God's creations? God had the power to lie in that Bible. Why is it so trustworthy?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »

Besides what everyone else said... even if you read the Book of Revelation literally... the Antichrist/Beast is clearly the one in charge of Israel, and it is God's armies that are coming from beyond Israel. Also, the rapture isn't in the Bible, it was invented a couple hundred years ago.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2013, 02:26:49 PM »

Now, I think we can compare the first openly atheist president to the first openly gay president. It might all sound a little corny, but to be honest these are big social hurdles. It's anyone's guess when these firsts will occur, but they will. And as recent history shows with the gay movement and finally some acceptance of it, when our society changes, it changes fairly quickly.

I think the comparison is apt. My money would be on openly gay before openly atheist. But it could go the other way.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »

I think the comparison is apt. My money would be on openly gay before openly atheist. But it could go the other way.

People will already vote for an openly gay candidate, so I'd definitely say gay before atheist. Also, there are more openly gay elected officials, so there's that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »

I commend Bushie for his faith, but I'd be curious to know what he thinks of this:

If you believe in God, I would assume you believe that almost everything that happens on this planet, one way or another, comes from Him. So even if men wrote the Bible (which, of course, they did), the going argument is that God guided those men so that they might do His work. The thing is, everything is God's work. Now, I'll admit that I'm not the biggest believer in Satan, so maybe that's why I'm a bit confused, but couldn't you say that something as terrible as Hurricane Katrina was God's bidding? If so, it's pretty hard to fathom why God does what he does. I accept that He sent Hurricane Katrina to New Orleans; I accept that He used men to write the Bible. Still though, I can't profess to know why He did those things or what His motivations were. God creates fallible things all the time—I mean, he created man for crying out loud. Other than your faith, what makes you so sure that the Bible is exempt from all the other rules of God's creations? God had the power to lie in that Bible. Why is it so trustworthy?

What makes me think that is John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." and later in verse 14 "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth" - (John 1:1,14, NASB).  So, we believe that Jesus Christ is the Word of God and so if Christ is perfect, then His Word is also perfect.  I, too, will never understand why God sends certain events such as Katrina, or Hugo, or the 1906 SF earthquake, or any other natural disasters.  The only thing I know is we live in a fallen world.  Because Adam ate the apple and sinned against God, every single human being down through history except Jesus Christ, has a sinful nature and have sinned against God.  The reason Christ is perfect is because while He was 100% man, He is also 100% God.  It's not 50/50, it is 100/100.  It is one of many things in Christianity that cannot be explained or understood with the finite human mind.  God is infinite, so a finite mind cannot understand Him.  Because of the sin problem in the world, Scripture says that Satan is the ruler of this age.  Yet, God is still in control and will be in control and will one day cast out Satan.  That is too much for me to comprehend.  I will admit that there are many, many things that I do not know about why God does certain things, such as why He would save an idiot like me.  There are many things I want to ask Him when I get home.

My former pastor said it best.  He says holiness is not something you attain, it is something you pursue, for when you think you have attained holiness, you realize you have a lot farther to go.

As far as the rapture is concerned, true, neither the word rapture or the word trinity are in the Bible.  What the rapture is, though, is the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, which is in the Bible and is going to happen at some point, when His living church, and those saints who have died before us going all the way back to the beginning of time will be caught up in the clouds and meet Him in the air and will fight with Him in the battle of Armageddon.  From what I can gather from the Bible, the battle of Armageddon will be mostly led by Russia.  The cities of Gog and Magog in Revelation refers to Russia.  They will join forces with the Anti Christ, a political ruler that will be based in Europe somewhere and the False Prophet, whoever is Pope at the time, and will fight against Israel and start in the north of Israel and push them back to Jerusalem and just when Jerusalem is on their last legs when their ammunition is empty, they will glance up to the Mount of Olives and see Jesus on his white horse come down from heaven and all the saints with him who were caught up in the rapture just before the Battle of Armageddon and will make short work of the opposing forces.  Israel is not the enemy, rather Israel is the "good guys", which is why its stupid to be against Israel.  Those who are against Israel are on the wrong side of the future.  Once the battle of Armageddon is complete the 1,000 year reign of Jesus Christ will commence that I have already mentioned.

I'm still trying to comprehend myself what is going on, and like I said, I am careful not to put any time table on it.  I do believe, though, that the Anti Christ and the False Prophet are alive and on earth right now (though I don't have any solid proof), so that's why I think it will be relatively soon.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »

Bushie the trinity is at least hinted at in scripture. (John 1 for example). What's your scriptural defense for a rapture?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2013, 02:52:09 PM »

On the OP: eventually, if there hasn't been one already.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »

Not unless they could be rational when it pertains to religion and a lot of atheists can be as abrasive as radical believers. Even if that person was rational, they'd have a difficult time breaking through just because many people believe atheists are divisive.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2013, 03:14:14 PM »

Bushie the trinity is at least hinted at in scripture. (John 1 for example). What's your scriptural defense for a rapture?

The rapture as I described:

Matthew 24:30-36
Matthew 24:40-41
John 14:1-3
Acts 1:9-11
1 Corinthians 15:51-52
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Philippians 3:20-21

On the Battle of Armageddon, the Anti Christ, and such

2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »

I'm still trying to comprehend myself what is going on, and like I said, I am careful not to put any time table on it.  I do believe, though, that the Anti Christ and the False Prophet are alive and on earth right now (though I don't have any solid proof), so that's why I think it will be relatively soon.

They will kill Odin, Thor and the other gods after a huge battle. There will be many natural disasters and then a great flood will cleanse the earth. But the waters will recede and the world will begin anew.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »

Your Rapture narrative doesn't include Revelation at all?  
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2013, 03:21:30 PM by 31: A New Bushie »

Your Rapture narrative doesn't include Revelation at all?  

It doesn't have to.  The entire New Testament points to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, but Revelation does, too.  Revelation 19-22
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »

I didn't know that works of fiction composed 2,000 years ago could predict the end of our civilization as we know it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »

I didn't know that works of fiction composed 2,000 years ago could predict the end of our civilization as we know it.

Calling it a work of fiction is not only false, but is extremely dangerous.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »

Not unless they could be rational when it pertains to religion and a lot of atheists can be as abrasive as radical believers. Even if that person was rational, they'd have a difficult time breaking through just because many people believe atheists are divisive.
I suppose you would also only vote for a theist if he were "rational when it pertains to religion?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies