Bolivia takes Chile to The Hague over sea access (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:01:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bolivia takes Chile to The Hague over sea access (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bolivia takes Chile to The Hague over sea access  (Read 4824 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: April 25, 2013, 02:28:55 AM »

Countless countries have lost territories over the years. Taking this to court sounds completely unrealistic.

But I hope they succeed. Since Denmark has lost so much territory, this would definetly be worth looking into for our government Tongue
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »

Does Bolivia think they have a genuine chance here, or is this just a case of the government/Morales trying to increase their support domestically?

But I hope they succeed. Since Denmark has lost so much territory, this would definitely be worth looking into for our government Tongue

You did go to the court (or its predecessor) in 1933 after the Norwegian occupation of Eastern Greenland. No need to mention who won that case  Tongue

That area wasn't really lost, since there weren't any soldiers occupying it, it was just an incursion by private individuals from a foreign country. The DK government chose to appeal to the court in Haag in order not to accelerate things.

But Norway should have a strong case regarding Shetland and the Orkneys, since the Scots (and later the Brits) never gave you a chance to buy them back, after we pawned them without asking you. I expect Lerwick being renamed Lervik within a few years.

Also Sweden broke several clauses in the Treaty of Roskilde about respecting the autonomy of Scania, their customs and the use of the Danish language over there. It should be a slam dunk case. Cheesy

The possibilities seems endless if this thing gets going.  
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »

But I also sympathize with Bolivians in that they probably just want unfettered access to the sea without a different nation holding it over their heads.  Every time a dispute comes up, i can see Chile being vindictive and blocking access.

Whatever. Plenty of countries don't have coastlines. They do just fine without throwing fits about their neighbors. Austria doesn't go around demanding that Italy or Croatia open their ports, even though Austria controlled ports now in Italy and Croatia more recently than Bolivia controlled ports now in Chile. This is just childish.

Borders between two Spanish speaking countries in Latin America is a bit more arbitrary than between two ethnically defined nation states in Europe or Asia. The difference between a Bolivian mestizo and a Chilean mestizo is not necessarily that great. So this is mostly one of the historical accidents where the wrong part (seen from a utilitarian POV) won the war.
Not much to do about it given current differences in military strength, but I can see why Bolivians wont let this issue go away.  They simply need this area far more than Chile does.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies