PA-Quinnipiac: Democrats likely to regain Governor seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:59:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  PA-Quinnipiac: Democrats likely to regain Governor seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA-Quinnipiac: Democrats likely to regain Governor seat  (Read 1640 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »

If the election for Governor were being held today, and the candidates were Allyson Schwartz the Democrat and Tom Corbett the Republican, for whom would you vote?

47-34 Schwartz

If the election for Governor were being held today, and the candidates were Joe Sestak the Democrat and Tom Corbett the Republican, for whom would you vote?

48-34 Sestak

Democratic Primary

In a possible Democratic primary for governor, 59 percent of voters are undecided. Sestak gets 15 percent, with 15 percent for Schwartz and no other candidate above 3 percent.

"Pennsylvania voters, even Democrats, don't know much about the challengers in the 2014 governor's race," Malloy said.

"Right now, voters are doing their ABCs - Anyone But Corbett."

From April 19 - 24, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,235 registered voters with a margin of error of +/- 2.8 percentage points. Live interviewers call land lines and cell phones. The survey includes 547 Democrats with a margin of error of +/- 4.2 percentage points.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes--centers/polling-institute/pennsylvania/release-detail?ReleaseID=1889
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »

I'm still cautiously optimistic; Pennsylvania doesn't throw out incumbents often (but when we do, it's in a spectatular fashion like 2006).
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »

Thought Sestak would be doing better with regard to the primary. But it is early and I don't know, he could be one of those whose perceived aloofness might sting him a little. But he seems to have principles, and I hope he's the nominee. Of course I need to educate myself about Schwartz - I know next to nothing about her, she may be fine too.

I can't see how Corbett hangs on, really. I'm usually not optimistic, but he is so completely in the tank that if he hangs on, that "under 50% rule" can be tossed in the garbage.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:59:41 AM »

Thought Sestak would be doing better with regard to the primary. But it is early and I don't know, he could be one of those whose perceived aloofness might sting him a little. But he seems to have principles, and I hope he's the nominee. Of course I need to educate myself about Schwartz - I know next to nothing about her, she may be fine too.

I can't see how Corbett hangs on, really. I'm usually not optimistic, but he is so completely in the tank that if he hangs on, that "under 50% rule" can be tossed in the garbage.

It's really better described as the "under 44% rule". Governing and legislating rarely build consensus that one deserves re-election as does campaigning. When not campaigning an incumbent is vulnerable to every cheap shot from opponents and hostile pundits. But once the campaigning begins the challenger rarely gets to take a scatter-shot approach at the incumbent -- and has to show himself fit for the job.

An incumbent Governor or Senator usually gains about 6% from an approval rating at the start of campaign season to the final vote share whether his approval rating begins just below 40% or whether it is around 70%. An incumbent with an approval rating of 44% has a roughly-even chance of winning re-election and usually shows why he was elected to begin with. Someone with an approval rating below 44% usually shows that voting for him was a mistake -- and loses.  There's little empirical evidence for pols whose approval ratings much below 40%; they rarely run for re-election.

Corbett is doing badly. Run on a promise of 'reform' and have a hidden agenda that proves unpopular, and the incumbent loses. Low approval ratings apply to the incompetent and corrupt, too.     
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »

I'm still cautiously optimistic; Pennsylvania doesn't throw out incumbents often (but when we do, it's in a spectatular fashion like 2006).

This.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 04:46:57 PM »

New Poll: Pennsylvania Governor by Quinnipiac University on 2013-06-23

Summary: D: 46%, R: 34%, U: 19%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Pages: [1]