a question to ponder.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:31:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  a question to ponder.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: a question to ponder....  (Read 8047 times)
Snowe08
Rookie

« on: February 20, 2005, 03:42:12 PM »

im curious....name one (serious) potential republican nominee that could carry vermont?
Olympia Snowe. Vermont likes strong, independent-minded politicians just as much as Maine does.
Snowe08
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 06:35:37 PM »

That's ridiculous. Vermont went Kerry by 20; Maine went him by 9.
Yes, but that was against George Bush. The candidates can change the numbers - and I think they will.
Snowe08
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 11:19:59 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2005, 11:22:21 PM by Snowe08 »

Not for a while. Mississippi will become Democratic in a few decades when it becomes black majority.
Isn't that rather presumptuous? Where is it written than blacks must and will vote Democrat? The Democrats continue to push a policy that says that blacks need a helping hand to succeed (affirmative action), continue to feel entitled to black support at elections; by contrast, the Repulbicans continue to push individualism, diversity and personal responsibility. What exactly is it that gives the other party such arrogance - I was about to say confidence - that "black" equates to "democrat'?
Snowe08
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 12:15:54 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2005, 12:17:44 AM by Snowe08 »

Not for a while. Mississippi will become Democratic in a few decades when it becomes black majority.
Isn't that rather presumptuous? Where is it written than blacks must and will vote Democrat? The Democrats continue to push a policy that says that blacks need a helping hand to succeed (affirmative action), continue to feel entitled to black support at elections; by contrast, the Repulbicans continue to push individualism, diversity and personal responsibility. What exactly is it that gives the other party such arrogance - I was about to say "confidence" - that "black" equates to "democrat'?
The GOP  once had a lock on black votes, but lost them through ignoring their needs. Will the same thing happen to the Democrats? Unlikely, but you never know.
It seems to me that the GOP program appeals to blacks as people and individuals; the other party treats them as a demographic. Which approach would you find more appealing?

It's just a thought, I don't mean to sound belligerent; what exactly is it that Democrats and their platform offer a voter who happens to be black? Where does this unshakable faith in that Colonel Sanders quote come from?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies