If Hillary does not run, which Republican has the best shot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:09:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Hillary does not run, which Republican has the best shot?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Hillary does not run, which Republican has the best shot?  (Read 1177 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »

A lot of people seem to think she will run, but there is also a really good possibility that she does not run.  If she doesn't, which Republican has the best shot against any of the other plausible Democrats?
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:07:24 PM »

Christie.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »

Since, Cuomo numbers have declined a great deal, no one has a chance in stopping her. And her pal Schweizer is running for the senate. Barring something coming out of the closet, she's inclined to run.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »

I don't know how different this would be from the list of Republicans who would have the best shot against her. Christie might be slightly stronger, since optics are better when he's not fighting a nationally respected woman in her late 60s.

But the Republicans with the best shot in a General Election would remain Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Susanna Martinez, Brian Sandoval, Jon Huntsman and Kelly Ayotte.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »

There's no chance Sandoval is running or could get the nomination. There's no way Huntsman could get the nomination, and he's a bad campaigner. Ayotte also has no chance of getting the nomination, she's way too shaky, and her approval rating is now negative in New Hampshire since she voted to filibuster gun reform.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »

Christie
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »

Still Christie.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »

Definitely Christie. He has neck and neck popularity compared to Biden and is more popular than all other democratic candidates. This is only if he can appeal to Republican Primary voters, though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »

Definitely Christie. He has neck and neck popularity compared to Biden and is more popular than all other democratic candidates. This is only if he can appeal to Republican Primary voters, though.

He definitely seems like a heavyweight, but I wouldn't go quite so far as to call him the 800 pound gorilla.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »

Based on how moderate Christie is, I seriously doubt that he can appeal to Conservative voters enough to win the Republican primary unless he shifts to the right. And if he does, it would certainly bite him in the back in the general election, so no I don't think he can win. But if he manages to stay moderate and win the primaries, he has a very good chance.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 03:51:41 AM »

Why would the answer here be different to the other question?
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 06:41:59 AM »

He definitely seems like a heavyweight, but I wouldn't go quite so far as to call him the 800 pound gorilla.

Agreed. There's some serious bipartisan appeal to Christie that makes him a strong candidate, but he has a serious attitude problem.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »

I am saying in a General election, Christie would probably win. The primaries are a different question.
Why would the answer here be different to the other question?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 01:53:03 PM »

Based on how moderate GHWB Dole McCain Romney Christie is, I seriously doubt that he can appeal to Conservative voters enough to win the Republican primary unless he shifts to the right. And if he does, it would certainly bite him in the back in the general election, so no I don't think he can win. But if he manages to stay moderate and win the primaries, he has a very good chance.

Yeah. Seems about right until you realize how tsundere Republicans are all the time every time.
illegaloperation

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »

It's definitely Christie, but I doubt that he have any real chance of winning the primary.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »

True, but to my knowledge, HW Bush, Dole, and Romney didn't go against the GOP as much as Christie did. Mccain is more of a rebel within the party though, so you do have a point. However, Christie is moving in the opposite direction as of right now. He does support some gun control laws.
Based on how moderate GHWB Dole McCain Romney Christie is, I seriously doubt that he can appeal to Conservative voters enough to win the Republican primary unless he shifts to the right. And if he does, it would certainly bite him in the back in the general election, so no I don't think he can win. But if he manages to stay moderate and win the primaries, he has a very good chance.

Yeah. Seems about right until you realize how tsundere Republicans are all the time every time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies