Am I considered a "libertarian"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:04:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Am I considered a "libertarian"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would I be considered a libertarian?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Am I considered a "libertarian"?  (Read 2272 times)
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »

As I took the political spectrum tests, I've seen myself slightly right of center on economics, slightly left of center on social issues.  Technically, this puts me in the 4th quadrant of the chart, or the "Libertarian" quadrant.  I personally always considered myself a moderate, but does my score truly count as libertarian?  What cutoff points would you put to distinguish between "moderate" and "libertarian/conservative/liberal" for the axes? 
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »

From what I've seen I would agree that you lean to the left on social issues and the right on economics, but I wouldn't call you a libertarian. You're far too moderate to be considered a "true" libertarian.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:19:46 PM »

You're far too moderate to be considered a "true" libertarian.
^^^
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »

From what I've seen I would agree that you lean to the left on social issues and the right on economics, but I wouldn't call you a libertarian. You're far too moderate to be considered a "true" libertarian.

What cutoff points for S/E scores would you consider the libertarian level to be, out of curiosity?  The PM test uses a weird terms like "Center-Libertarian" or something like that for me, which is a pretty confusing designation. 
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 09:45:41 PM »

I would just call you a liberal (in the European sense of the term)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »

What cutoff points for S/E scores would you consider the libertarian level to be, out of curiosity?  The PM test uses a weird terms like "Center-Libertarian" or something like that for me, which is a pretty confusing designation. 

I'm not really sure. The PM uses a different definition of libertarianism than than most Americans who consider themselves libertarian. On the PM, libertarianism only refers to the S scale, while libertarianism in the U.S. involves both economics and social issues. Basically, if you take this test and score below 90 on either scale, you wouldn't be considered a "true" libertarian, despite what the test might tell you.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:59:45 PM »

the only criteria is whether you believe in the "non-aggression principle" or not. there's some debate whether or not you can hold that position and support things like taxation or not (i.e. be a libertarian but not some kind of anarchist) admittedly but that's about it.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2013, 11:13:55 PM by Redalgo »

I agree with Ghost White on this one. If you are talking about "libertarian" in its American usage though, I'd recommend you compare your convictions with the core tenets of classical liberalism. In the former case ones alignment with capitalism, communism, or anything in between is largely irrelevant and it is all about to what extent (if any) you think the state should be able to initiate force on anyone. In the case of the latter there is still going to be a pretty strong tendency to get government out of the individual's business - i.e. no social engineering by promoting a set of traditional social mores or otherwise "American values." Libertarianism has rather little to share in common with mainstream tenets of conservatism or moderate pragmatism in the United States.

Although my S score is low, I am no true libertarian by either of the aforementioned perspectives.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 03:32:42 AM »

You're not a libertarian. You're a moderate!
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 03:35:38 AM »

I would just call you a liberal (in the European sense of the term)

Yes he is a fairly moderate version of Classical Liberal and may actually be considered a Social Liberal in the European sense of that term.

Its just one of those positions the US terminology isn't very good at describing, because you changed the meaning of Liberalism.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 12:07:22 PM »

Thanks for the clarification. T his makes sense then.  The PM ratings are just a little confusing. 
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »

I was never a huge fan of the PM's social scale. I got a moderately "socially liberal" score, which I largely disagree with. I'm not even sure how one gets a positive score on that.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »

Yeah, this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies