Why was the WPA done away with? Could it or something similar be brought back?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:56:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why was the WPA done away with? Could it or something similar be brought back?  (Read 564 times)
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2013, 03:24:23 PM »

I'm 22 years old. I'd love if there was a government job/skills training program, which one could enter and be trained and employed by. I've been looking for a job for a LONG while and haven't been able to get one.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:30:26 PM »

Short answer: Conservatives in Congress were able to destroy it during World War II because Roosevelt lost control of Congress. They weren't fans of public production.

And yes, it could be brought back, or something similar could be established. Direct job creation by the government would be the best way to lead us from the Great Recession and back to prosperity.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »

Short answer: Conservatives in Congress were able to destroy it during World War II because Roosevelt lost control of Congress. They weren't fans of public production.

More reasonably, both Congress and FDR realized that the whole World War II thing meant that we had much more urgent things to pay unemployed people to do.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:50:34 PM »

I'm 22 years old. I'd love if there was a government job/skills training program, which one could enter and be trained and employed by. I've been looking for a job for a LONG while and haven't been able to get one.
There is the AmeriCorps and its affiliates... though they're much more selective, unfortunately.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:23:41 AM »

More reasonably, both Congress and FDR realized that the whole World War II thing meant that we had much more urgent things to pay unemployed people to do.

FDR never favored ending the program.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:41:07 AM »

The huge demands for military production during WWII created full employment in its own right. Young men who five years earlier would have found WPA and CCC projects attractive ways to get some pay were going into the Armed Services.   
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »

The Republicans are huge supporters of such a program. It's called the army Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »

I'm 22 years old. I'd love if there was a government job/skills training program, which one could enter and be trained and employed by.

For most of its existence, the WPA was barred from offering skills training.  The labor unions did not want additional trained workers competing for the jobs of its members.  In was only in the brief period between the start of Word War II and the US entry into the same that that the WPA offered any sort of skill training.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »

The Republicans are huge supporters of such a program. It's called the army Tongue

Snark aside, you're correct. The military is the only 'jobs program' the United States has.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies