What is your neighborhood's WalkScore?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:43:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What is your neighborhood's WalkScore?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What is your neighborhood's WalkScore?  (Read 1300 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
« edited: May 06, 2013, 07:16:45 PM by Slowpoke »

http://www.walkscore.com

My address gets an 83, my neighborhood an 85. Pretty accurate. Love the heat maps.

Their criteria is a little misleading though, if you want to be mostly or entirely car-independent Nicollet Island is most certainly NOT in the top 5 neighborhoods in Minneapolis to live in and Cedar-Riverside most certainly isn't unless you live right near the light rail, or plan on never leaving Cedar-Riverside. And Downtown West is most certainly not the most walkable neighborhood unless you can afford to do your day-to-day shopping in downtown.

Loring Park and Lowry Hill East's rankings are dead on though.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »

My home is a 6. It's 20 minutes by car to the nearest store of any kind.

My college apartment is a 68.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »

86 seems a touch low for being two blocks from one of the best streets in the country for wandering and eating.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »

5. I live in small-town NH. There's a general store about 5 minutes away.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »

8. Sad
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 06:59:14 PM »

58.  However, their methodology is largely bogus.  Distances are determined as the crow flies, which means a child-care center (classified as educational for some reason) which is .1 mile in a straight line, but well over a mile by street gave me full credit for having a school nearby.  Also, they don't seem to consider having a church within walking distance at all important, but coffee shops are so important they have a category all their own.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:02:22 PM »

100. NYC rules.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »

58.  However, their methodology is largely bogus.  Distances are determined as the crow flies, which means a child-care center (classified as educational for some reason) which is .1 mile in a straight line, but well over a mile by street gave me full credit for having a school nearby.  Also, they don't seem to consider having a church within walking distance at all important, but coffee shops are so important they have a category all their own.

Take into account what type of demographic is likely to not own a car and use this site...

However yeah there are some flaws in the methodology. Nicollet Island's high score is a great example, it's full of bars and stores, but it's also quite small, and because the bridges aren't very walk-friendly, you basically have to use a car to be able to leave it and do something like go to a movie. Even the public transit in that area isn't all that great.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »

Their definition of supermarket is also pretty horrible. They count the crappy bodega like a minutes walk from my building as a grocery store. The closest real grocery stores (a Whole Foods and a Fairway) aren't really in walking distance.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 07:12:28 PM »

But, they really don't update or verify their data at all.  A bunch of the stores they list in my neighborhood have closed and they haven't updated to add new ones. 

They also list a baseball park that closed in 1880.  That's just laughable. 
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »

I live in the country, so... 0? It would take well over an hour to walk to the nearest gas station, and to get to the nearest town would take several hours on foot.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2013, 07:15:29 PM by Slowpoke »

Their definition of supermarket is also pretty horrible. They count the crappy bodega like a minutes walk from my building as a grocery store. The closest real grocery stores (a Whole Foods and a Fairway) aren't really in walking distance.

Yeah for me it counts a Vietnamese grocery store. There is a supermarket that's it OK to walk TO close enough to me, but if you buy any significant number of groceries walking BACK carrying them will not be pleasant.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 07:14:07 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 07:24:35 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2013, 07:26:32 PM by Joe Republic »

Mt. Charleston Lodge (.61 miles away) most certainly should not qualify as a grocery store, however, unless you count the vending machine in the hotel lobby.  The closest actual store of any kind is about 20 miles away.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 07:26:23 PM »

yeah... my neighborhood is probably 0.  The only reason to walk in my neighborhood is for the purpose of exercise.

But I'm close enough that everything is available within a 5 minute drive... so while it's not walkable in the context of shopping, etc... my environmental impact is lower than your average suburbanite who drives much longer distances for basic services.

And for the trade offs that I have living here far outweigh, in my opinion, living in a dense inner city neighborhood where I can walk everywhere (though I've been in that situation and it is kinda liberating in a way).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »

As I suspected... my walkscore is 8.  But I have all basic services within 2 miles of me.  But the closest is 0.94 miles (a gas station)... so, I live in a "bikeable" neighborhood.. but not a walkable one.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »

They also list a baseball park that closed in 1880.  That's just laughable.  

Hahaha, seriously?

There was basically no remnant of the park by 1890 and it has been covered with city streets and houses since then.  I don't understand how that's an amenity.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2013, 11:04:29 AM by angus »

yeah... my neighborhood is probably 0.  The only reason to walk in my neighborhood is for the purpose of exercise.

But I'm close enough that everything is available within a 5 minute drive... so while it's not walkable in the context of shopping, etc... my environmental impact is lower than your average suburbanite who drives much longer distances for basic services.

And for the trade offs that I have living here far outweigh, in my opinion, living in a dense inner city neighborhood where I can walk everywhere (though I've been in that situation and it is kinda liberating in a way).

there are always trade-offs.  I'm not sure that this site's algorithms are taking such things into account.  You probably live very close to an international airport.  For me, I'd have to walk about 700 meters to a bus stop, take that bus to a train station in the city, then pay 20 dollars to take a train from Lancaster to Philadelphia, then get off at 30th street station in Philadelphia and take a commuter rail from there to Philadelphia International Airport, then I could fly away.  This algorithm only considers the fact that I can walk less than a thousand meters to get to an international airport.  That sort of thing.  

Ah, it's cute, and I admire the engineering and mathematical skills and labor that went into it, but you really shouldn't read too much into it.  When we lived in Northeastern Iowa I used to fly from MSP regularly, and as I recall my uncle's neighborhood (in Saint Paul near Saint Thomas University) was more "walkable" in a real sense than the neighborhood that I live in now, and much closer to an international airport, even though you'd have to take a car to get there.

Of course, Winter, for example, in your part of the country is about eight months long, and the place is only "walkable" for a very short period.  I doubt that this algorithm takes that sort of thing into account either.  

Still, it's a fun exercise.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 07:38:28 PM »

Now we'll never find out Bushie's WalkScore. Sad
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 08:00:39 PM »

82 for address, 87 for neighbourhood.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »

They do it by ward in Ottawa, so it's misleading as wards are made up of a number of neighbourhoods. My ward got a 58.  Our previous ward was the best in the city at 89.  Our apartment got a 62.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 08:20:09 PM »

They do it by ward in Ottawa, so it's misleading as wards are made up of a number of neighbourhoods. My ward got a 58.  Our previous ward was the best in the city at 89.  Our apartment got a 62.

If you right-click on any point on the map--at least in Windows OS; I have no idea how to do anything on an apple computer, or whether they're useful for anything other than decoration for your office--then you get an option to get a score "at this point."  On the nearest streetcorner to where I live, I get a score of 71.  Try doing that on your street or on your exact block if you can find it. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 08:39:25 PM »

First, what do you mean by neighborhood?
I got 0 for address and 75 for my hometown.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »

My neighborhood is a 62. It's very suburban, but close to a huge mall Tongue A decent fraction of the distance to stores would be the mall parking lot.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies