The Update for Everybody Else
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:46:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Update for Everybody Else
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 44
Author Topic: The Update for Everybody Else  (Read 85810 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2013, 12:42:05 AM »

Again, I've no idea what you guys mean with this "frienzone" thing. Considering my personal experience, I really don't understand this idea that being very good friends with a girl without any love feelings being involved is somehow strange or demeaning. Yes, I know I'm in many ways a special case, but I don't think I'm in the majority on this (or at least I hope so, otherwise I need to change my gender out of shame).
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2013, 01:31:34 AM »

In a nut shell, it's a millennial generation take on unrequited love. Guy develops feelings for a female friend, desires to take it to the next level but is rebuffed with "let's just stay friends." or at least a presumption that such a thing would happen.

More accurately, it's an invention designed by our blubbering, socially incompetent contemporaries to blame their inability to cope with rejection and letdown on society and trivialized versions of people instead of themselves.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2013, 02:59:47 AM »

I just learned that the only dog left in the world who was older than myself died last week.  Sad
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2013, 05:55:55 AM »

The reasoning is still correct, though I'd argue that the friendzone exists (insofar as one person rejecting another's romantic advances while establishing a platonic relationship), but is not a bad thing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2013, 07:33:10 AM »

You want to work in a funeral home? I'd drink even more than I do now if that was my job.

Why?  Death is peaceful and painless - all problems solved.  The hospital or the nursing home is the place where the employees must turn to drink for solace.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2013, 07:35:47 AM »

In other news, got my SAT scores in--1960!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2013, 07:53:06 AM »

I just learned that the only dog left in the world who was older than myself died last week.  Sad

But not in dog years surely 'Old Joe' Surprise
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2013, 08:16:39 AM »

The 'friend zone' is kind of a creepy concept that stems from people being outraged that girls might not want to sleep with nice guys (tm) such as themselves. Am I overthinking this?

This is more or less what I was thinking.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2013, 09:17:01 AM »

So I was stuck outside halfway between the city hall and campus when some massive, uber-massive rain storm fell on me and totally soaked me, from head to toe. My clothes were wet or damp for 3 hours after that, and it destroyed some papers in my bag. Pretty horrible.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2013, 11:21:41 AM »

So I was stuck outside halfway between the city hall and campus when some massive, uber-massive rain storm fell on me and totally soaked me, from head to toe. My clothes were wet or damp for 3 hours after that, and it destroyed some papers in my bag. Pretty horrible.

Be careful of crotch rot or other fungal ailments such as ringworm.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »

In a nut shell, it's a millennial generation take on unrequited love. Guy develops feelings for a female friend, desires to take it to the next level but is rebuffed with "let's just stay friends." or at least a presumption that such a thing would happen.

This is something that definitely can happen, isn't it? And it probably happens just as often to both genders. Friendship is not always immediately distinguishable from love, and of course a relationship can be interpreted differently by the people involved. I'm pretty sure there isn't even anything inherently modern about that.

What I find incredibly creepy is people who seem to think all guys who are friends with girls actually are just trying to "get laid". And the fact that these people are often male tends to mean they say more about themselves than about others...

Oh God, that must be horrible. I would get crazy if this happened to me.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »

More accurately, it's an invention designed by our blubbering, socially incompetent contemporaries to blame their inability to cope with rejection and letdown on society and trivialized versions of people instead of themselves.

More often, it's actually not rejection so much as the fear of rejection that keeps people in the so-called "friend zone". See Snowstalker's example.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2013, 11:16:51 PM »

Just Arrived in  California
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »

More often, it's actually not rejection so much as the fear of rejection that keeps people in the so-called "friend zone". See Snowstalker's example.

It might be because I am just as (if not more) awkward as Snowstalker, but from my perspective his attitude in that situation makes perfect sense. Sure, he could go on and make his feelings known, but why should he if nothing good can possibly come from that?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2013, 03:17:23 AM »

It might be because I am just as (if not more) awkward as Snowstalker, but from my perspective his attitude in that situation makes perfect sense. Sure, he could go on and make his feelings known, but why should he if nothing good can possibly come from that?

To get it out of his system and be able to move on.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2013, 03:45:30 PM »

Precisely what I was thinking.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2013, 04:08:33 PM »

Please, let's not turn this discussion into some crusade. Unrequited love/lust/what have you has existed since the dawn of time. The only difference is that now we have a catchy new phrase for it. Snowstalker's frustration is quite natural and there's certainly not sone reactionary "anti-feminist" motive behind it.

Now what he does in said friend zone is the actual topic if debate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »

I had three small hamburgers at McDonalds.  Small fries.  Small coke. 2 Big Macs and a side salad.  500 calories max.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »

Thank you, politicus. At worst, she says no, you mope about it for a week or two, and you move on without the feelings. At best, you have a girlfriend.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »

You want to work in a funeral home? I'd drink even more than I do now if that was my job.

Why?  Death is peaceful and painless - all problems solved.  The hospital or the nursing home is the place where the employees must turn to drink for solace.
Hospitals have all the good drugs. Employees there do much better than drinking.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »

Thank you, politicus. At worst, she says no, you mope about it for a week or two, and you move on without the feelings. At best, you have a girlfriend.

But what if a good friendship is ruined in the process? Isn't it something worth preserving as well?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »

Anyway, in the case you missed it, I'm now back to France. Same mixed feelings I mentioned earlier.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2013, 09:34:35 AM »

But what if a good friendship is ruined in the process? Isn't it something worth preserving as well?

One can ask someone out and still stay friends.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »

I guess it depends from the context. It might give rise to a lot of awkwardness on each side.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »

I guess it depends from the context. It might give rise to a lot of awkwardness on each side.

A girl asked me out once last year and I rejected her, but we're still cool 'n' stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies