The Update for Everybody Else
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:20:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Update for Everybody Else
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 44
Author Topic: The Update for Everybody Else  (Read 85807 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »

With today's oversupply of lawyers, a JD is becoming a worthless degree, and one that comes with a six figure price.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »

I majored in economics and business administration, just in case my JD is a worthless investment. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »

Don't do liberal arts. They're all useless degrees.

Roll Eyes
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »

Nearly objectively true... and I say this as someone who changed to a liberal arts degree from a far more useful (i.e. employable) one.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »

Well, Sciences Po is good, but, in North America, universities are admitting way too much people in liberal arts, so, the job market is way saturated.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

Regardless of whether it is absolutely true or not, the implicit premise that higher education only has value if it leads you to making lots of money later in your life is utterly horrendous.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »

dear jesus i love canada
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2013, 04:26:22 PM »

Regardless of whether it is absolutely true or not, the implicit premise that higher education only has value if it leads you to making lots of money later in your life is utterly horrendous.

It is the American Wayİ, after all.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »

I took the ACT today.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #209 on: June 08, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »

I was talking to the girl I like (Liz) again last night about college.  Since I'm likely moving to the state she's attending college at, I wanted to know what things are like where she goes.  She said she was at a concert and that we could talk about it later.  I said, "okay."

Almost 24 hours later; no new messages.

Gulp. Sad
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #210 on: June 08, 2013, 08:29:34 PM »

I was talking to the girl I like (Liz) again last night about college.  Since I'm likely moving to the state she's attending college at, I wanted to know what things are like where she goes.  She said she was at a concert and that we could talk about it later.  I said, "okay."

Gulp. Sad

Patience. Every reason you think is causing the delay is wrong. It's something completely innocent and normal. Fear not, puissant paladin.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #211 on: June 08, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »

Well, the issue isn't money, it's than you are unemployed or just end doing some unqualified job in a store or a restaurant.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2013, 08:47:29 PM »

Gulp. Sad

Patience. Every reason you think is causing the delay is wrong. It's something completely innocent and normal. Fear not, puissant paladin.

That's what I'm hoping.  What I don't know is how long I should wait before messaging her again.  I don't want to come across as an obsessed stalker.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »

Well, the issue isn't money, it's than you are unemployed or just end doing some unqualified job in a store or a restaurant.

That's a problem with the basic structure and aims of our society and its political economy, not a problem with majoring in the humanities. While I understand the temptation to compromise on this, it's one of the things that I personally refuse to do so on, and I've fully accepted as a consequence of that refusal that once I'm finished with my formal education I'll have hard time finding work that I can do and enjoy. I consider it worth it to pursue a line of study that interests me and that I believe is morally responsible.

Although I'd much rather do some kind of serious and productive labor from which I wasn't alienated than hold a sinecure, this is otherwise some of the realest sh**t opebo has ever said:

More to the point - his complaints form an excellent critique of the capitalist economic system, not 'education'.

Any society that doesn't provide a comfortable sinecure in the bureaucracy for history majors is horrific. 

Just because I've accepted the consequences of this doesn't mean that other people whose interests and passions lie in the humanities and arts should have to.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2013, 10:58:14 PM »

Guys, I'm just gonna end up playing saxophone in bars to support myself anyway.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2013, 11:22:11 PM »

Gulp. Sad

That's what I'm hoping.  What I don't know is how long I should wait before messaging her again.  I don't want to come across as an obsessed stalker.

Don't get antsy.  Let her text you.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2013, 12:56:09 AM »

Went to DC Pride with some friends today, and then clubbing afterwards. It was fun, relatively, at least as much fun as anything ever is for me now Tongue (depression.txt).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2013, 03:52:18 AM »

Gulp. Sad

I can also very much relate to this. I never know how often I can contact people (in my case, mostly friends) without being creepy. And I feel very concerned every time I don't get a response.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2013, 05:08:39 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2013, 05:32:19 AM by Grumps »

I was talking to the girl I like (Liz) again last night about college.  Since I'm likely moving to the state she's attending college at, I wanted to know what things are like where she goes.  She said she was at a concert and that we could talk about it later.  I said, "okay."

Gulp. Sad

That's what I'm hoping.  What I don't know is how long I should wait before messaging her again.  I don't want to come across as an obsessed stalker.

Don't get antsy.  Let her text you.

I'm with Hokey.  If necessary wait until tomorrow and ask her how her weekend went. All is well, just be patient.   Nothing bad can happen by being patient.  Bad things happen when you're not. Been there, done that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »

I hooked up with the bride's sister last night. I don't remember much of it, but I'm sure it wasn't my finest hour. Hopefully this won't cause any problems...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »

I hooked up with the bride's sister last night. I don't remember much of it, but I'm sure it wasn't my finest hour. Hopefully this won't cause any problems...

Remember the three F's Dukey. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »

Did you tell her about Paul Ryan afterwards?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »

I don't even know what I said to her, Sanchez.

I've already forgotten. I just hope I didn't tell her about Bushie.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #223 on: June 09, 2013, 07:30:12 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2013, 07:43:29 PM by Torie »

The quality of your recollection, makes you a perfect candidate for the Obama cabinet, or a high position in the IRS. And what difference does it make?  It's over now.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #224 on: June 09, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »

The quality of your recollection, makes you a perfect candidate for the Obama cabinet, or a high position in the IRS. And what difference does it make?  It's over now.

I am taking a lot of tax law classes, and I think I am going to pursue an LLM, so a position at the IRS in the future may not be out of the question. It's the perfect place Wink
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies