The Update for Everybody Else
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:10:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Update for Everybody Else
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 44
Author Topic: The Update for Everybody Else  (Read 85778 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 10, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »

Coming home from Montreal. Loved it!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #251 on: June 10, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »

Don't do liberal arts. They're all useless degrees.

Isn't liberal arts what one does before law school?

Yes, Dukey is missing the forest through the trees on this one. The best lawyers are well grounded in the liberal arts, and economics for that matter. It is what gives them peripheral vision as it were, not to mention skill at the use of logic and writing skills, and vocabulary and all of that good stuff, which is how we earn our keep.

Well, if he's looking to go to law school, liberal arts is fine. I did a double major in economics and political science. But I'd never recommend a liberal arts degree to someone who had no interest in law or something similar. A political science degree is almost useless on its own.

Yes, poli sci, is just pseudo social science, and hardly a real discipline at all. It is more akin to liberal graffiti, rather than liberal art. Once I realized that, I got the hell out of that particular barrio.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #252 on: June 10, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »

Don't do liberal arts. They're all useless degrees.

Isn't liberal arts what one does before law school?

Yes, Dukey is missing the forest through the trees on this one. The best lawyers are well grounded in the liberal arts, and economics for that matter. It is what gives them peripheral vision as it were, not to mention skill at the use of logic and writing skills, and vocabulary and all of that good stuff, which is how we earn our keep.

Well, if he's looking to go to law school, liberal arts is fine. I did a double major in economics and political science. But I'd never recommend a liberal arts degree to someone who had no interest in law or something similar. A political science degree is almost useless on its own.

So would you recommend a double major, with economics? Since I, as was said, recently got registered and was thinking if I should shoot for more than one major (and had been planning on it). Guess I can start bringing that up in November when we discuss semester 2 classes.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #253 on: June 10, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »

Having earned a Ph.D. in the most useless of all the humanities, I'd just like to say that I have lifetime employment.  Thank you.  Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #254 on: June 10, 2013, 05:08:02 PM »

So Dukey, did the bridesmaid that you banged turn into a crazed stalker yet?  Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #255 on: June 10, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »

So Dukey, did the bridesmaid that you banged turn into a crazed stalker yet?  Wink

No, I haven't heard anything from her since yesterday!
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »

All this college talk makes me wish I had continued and finished college. It may be too late now..
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #257 on: June 10, 2013, 07:10:34 PM »

Have tommorow and the day after off.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »

I have finals on Wednesday, Thursday and Monday. Having two days off sounds like heaven right now.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #259 on: June 10, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2013, 08:22:39 PM by Governor Scott »

So I had a talk with the girl again... bad news for me is that she said she isn't interested in having a relationship anyone (not just me), and that she's kind of in the market for having a girlfriend only.  I asked her if she wouldn't mind me looking for someone else and she encouraged me to.  So, I guess this one doesn't end on a high note, but she didn't reject me just for me, and I guess I should be thankful for that.

In other news, I've been vigorously looking for a purpose to fulfill now that my father's gone.  My novel is in development hell since I can't be creative when I'm depressed, so I'm putting that aside for a while.  I'm going to attend the local ELCA church in Monroe this Sunday, and I intend on applying in their Lay Ministry program as either an assistant minister, communion assistant, usher, acolyte, or lector, if I decide that it's the right church for me.  It's probably not a paying job.  I don't care if it is.  All I'm looking for right now is love... and a purpose in life.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #260 on: June 10, 2013, 11:50:17 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2013, 11:52:20 PM by VP Duke »

One of my older cousins emailed me today about a family reunion they want to have in August and, lucky me, it's going to be in Charleston, so I am going to have a hard time avoiding it.

I really hate family reunions. My greek family is so big that I never see any of them sans my aunt and uncle, who both live in town, and a few of my cousins. My sister keeps in touch with them, but me, well, I only keep in touch with ladies and booze, which they probably know. Whenever I see them for weddings and such, I am usually hammered and all they do is tell me how old I've gotten, like it's some miracle I made it this far, and they usually just try to feed me until I burst.

That said, I think my dad will force me to go. I am the sole male heir to the family name, since my dad had 3 sisters, and for the greeks, that's a big deal, and it's also why I have to have a son someday before it's too late.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2013, 03:21:24 AM »

I need to start exercising again get back out on my bike and ride for a few miles to start. My friend who I would bike with, his fiancee had a baby in late March and I haven't been out since, stupid babies. Well actually I went on a 12 mile causal bike ride through Detroit on May 31st but that is it. I'm getting fat, well I have been fat for years and years but I have been slowly inching up from. Last Thursday I was at the doctor and I weighed 221 pounds. I'm only 5' 8.5". I'm probably about 40 pounds over weight. I probably should weigh under 170 but 180 would probably be good, since I'm not sure how accurate BMI is. It's all the soda and pop I drink. I'm going to go for a 6 mile bike ride tomorrow, maybe more but I might start at 6 and go up from there. Lucky for me there are two bike paths by my house that I can ride. I would prefer to ride my bike outside than hit the gym, plus I don't really have much money. I kind of dread exercising but after you are done it does feel good to get out there and ride.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #262 on: June 11, 2013, 05:05:14 AM »

After a hearty dinner of bourbon and steak last night, I have peed 3 times and took a massive shat, I dropped 2.068 pounds and weigh in at 334.643 pounds. At this rate I will be down to my desired weight of 165 in just a few months.  Thank heaven!!!!   No brief relaxations to report. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2013, 05:48:36 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2013, 05:54:59 AM by Oakvale »

And, of course, Cal Tony is 1000 percent right that it's pretty disgusting that people would pooh-pooh the humanities (i.e. that which makes us human) just because they don't pay the big buxx.

That strikes me as a ever-so slightly pretentious way of describing a degree in Theatre Studies or whatever. Again, I say this as someone doing a pretty useless liberal arts degree (Economics + miscellaneous credit filler). Math is less "human" than Philosophy?

I'm always a bit skeptical of passionate defences of arts degrees since it's something of a privileged luxury to be able to take anything other than future employability into account when selecting a college major. Like the way people who say they don't care about money are invariably rather wealthy. In an ideal world you'd be able to find gainful employment in a field that interests you and earn enough money to be comfortable, but in reality you find a lot of English graduates working in minimum-wage coffee shops.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #264 on: June 11, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »

After a hearty dinner of bourbon and steak last night, I have peed 3 times and took a massive shat, I dropped 2.068 pounds and weigh in at 334.643 pounds. At this rate I will be down to my desired weight of 165 in just a few months.  Thank heaven!!!!   No brief relaxations to report. 

Are you incorporating exercise into this "diet" of yours? Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #265 on: June 11, 2013, 10:05:15 AM »

Are you incorporating exercise into this "diet" of yours? Tongue

No.  I haven't found an app I can trick into thinking I excercise. Wink   If I do you guys will be the first to know!  Now let me eat my Egg McMuffins in peace, punk.  Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #266 on: June 11, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »

I have my job interview in 2 hours. I guess I'm kind of nervous, but I'm not sure if this is a legit interview or one of those "we know your uncle sent you to us, so we're just going to make sure you're not totally incompetent before we hire you" kind of deal.

Three years ago I worked in another firm where the head attorney was a family friend, and they basically just asked me if I could use a computer and type before asking me when I could start.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #267 on: June 11, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »

I have 4 interviews left to go through in the next 3 days, the final four out of a record 13 interviews for my next coop internship. I had a sh**tload last week. Hopefully one of them finds me not too bad and hires me.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #268 on: June 11, 2013, 02:31:34 PM »

My car decided not to start today, Hopefully its just the spark plugs or something else minor.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #269 on: June 11, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »

I am proud to say I am employed for the summer. I'm working for my uncle's friend's mob/real estate law firm in town, and I'll probably spend my summer looking up titles, random b*tch work, and delivering things to the court house. What fun it will be! Cheesy
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »

I am proud to say I am employed for the summer. I'm working for my uncle's friend's mob/real estate law firm in town, and I'll probably spend my summer looking up titles, random b*tch work, and delivering things to the court house. What fun it will be! Cheesy

Cheers, Dukey!

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #271 on: June 11, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »

Congrats. SC doesn't have title companies, and uses the same ludicrous (and inefficient and guild protecting) system as Iowa?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2013, 03:24:37 PM »

Congrats. SC doesn't have title companies, and uses the same ludicrous (and inefficient and guild protecting) system as Iowa?

I don't think we have title companies. I haven't heard from the manager of that office, but it's downtown near the courthouse, and he said I would be helping out with the other interns pulling titles for closings along with whatever else they need me to do. I'm sure copying things, typing letters, the usual jobs law students get to do.

They are paying me too, which is nice, since I was running out of pocket money for booze.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »

well I actually went out and rode my bike, I went 6 miles. Although about half of that was casual riding but it's a start since I'm so out of shape and fat and haven't rode in a a while. Rather proud of my self, It feels good to get out and exercise.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2013, 09:02:09 PM »

You really "can't make this s**t up" alert: my grandfather got hit by a tractor today, and thankfully was fine, just a broken pelvis. Man, Western Kentucky, you harsh. I would ask for prayers, but I don't believe in praying, so I suppose keep him in your thoughts, or pray if you'd like. He's a decent fella and he's going to be in a lot of pain for awhile.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies