The Update for Everybody Else
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:36:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Update for Everybody Else
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 44
Author Topic: The Update for Everybody Else  (Read 85833 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »

And, of course, Cal Tony is 1000 percent right that it's pretty disgusting that people would pooh-pooh the humanities (i.e. that which makes us human) just because they don't pay the big buxx.

That strikes me as a ever-so slightly pretentious way of describing a degree in Theatre Studies or whatever. Again, I say this as someone doing a pretty useless liberal arts degree (Economics + miscellaneous credit filler). Math is less "human" than Philosophy?

I'm always a bit skeptical of passionate defences of arts degrees since it's something of a privileged luxury to be able to take anything other than future employability into account when selecting a college major. Like the way people who say they don't care about money are invariably rather wealthy. In an ideal world you'd be able to find gainful employment in a field that interests you and earn enough money to be comfortable, but in reality you find a lot of English graduates working in minimum-wage coffee shops.

Has an Arts degree (Hell, is doing an Arts masters) and likes this post though disagrees about the part of 'priviledged luxury'.

The reality is that Universities are meant to be places to teach knowledge. History, Literature, Languages etc. are forms of knowledge and thus as legitimate (if not as developed) as Mathematics, etc. as a form of study. Anything else imo is anti-intellectualism.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #276 on: June 12, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »

I'll be meeting with my uncle's minister (who apparently knows of me and my situation from their personal conversations) sometime this or next week.  From what I've read, he's a very remarkable, progressive Congregationalist minister who shares my interest in promoting LGBT tolerance within the Christian community.  I'm hoping he can give me an idea of what to do over the coming years, both emotionally and in terms of possible ministerial vocations.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #277 on: June 13, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »

I was due to start work today, but yesterday's lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant proved to be a mistake. I don't think I've slept in 24 hours and I'm basically living in the bathroom. I haven't been this sick in a very long time.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #278 on: June 13, 2013, 07:50:28 AM »

I was due to start work today, but yesterday's lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant proved to be a mistake. I don't think I've slept in 24 hours and I'm basically living in the bathroom. I haven't been this sick in a very long time.

Jesus, Dukey, calling in sick before you start could spell trouble.....get well and get to work.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #279 on: June 13, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »

I felt awful. I got dressed and was going to go in anyway and warn my boss, but then I immediately had to go, well, use the bathroom again.

Thank god my boss seems really friendly. I offered to come in anyway but she said tomorrow is fine and she'd be in contact with me during the day to make sure I was okay. I feel awful about it but I didn't want to go in and vomit or s**t all over myself in the office.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #280 on: June 13, 2013, 08:04:01 AM »

I felt awful. I got dressed and was going to go in anyway and warn my boss, but then I immediately had to go, well, use the bathroom again.

Thank god my boss seems really friendly. I offered to come in anyway but she said tomorrow is fine and she'd be in contact with me during the day to make sure I was okay. I feel awful about it but I didn't want to go in and vomit or s**t all over myself in the office.

Ok, bro.  Grab the TP and have a good day Wink   You can make it up to your boss later.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #281 on: June 13, 2013, 08:22:22 AM »

I'm set to publish my first four articles for my local newspaper next week.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »

Just ate a whole Dominos pizza to myself. Had to clean up the extra slices. 700 calories tops.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #283 on: June 13, 2013, 08:34:31 PM »

I just ate a cracker. Presumably, I haven't eaten anything since Tuesday, maybe Monday. Lifting a glass of water is difficult.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #284 on: June 14, 2013, 12:56:24 AM »

Had my first non-self-imposed sleepless night today, for a reason I don't yet understand.

Today I all but confirmed my suspicion that I have thyroid disease, specifically hypothyroidism. Trouble is, my insurance is completely useless because of the back-breaking deductible on it, so I'll end up having to pay a sum and a half for any official diagnosis.

So sorry to hear that. Sad F**king American health insurances.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #285 on: June 14, 2013, 05:25:18 AM »

Just ate a whole Dominos pizza to myself. Had to clean up the extra slices. 700 calories tops.

I checked. At least 750 calories. Your lying is getting out of hand, Mr Kemp.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #286 on: June 14, 2013, 08:56:26 AM »

Geez, tough days for lots of good guys on here.  Feel better Dukey; Wydoon, that sucks, but hang in there; TNF, hope your grandfather heals quickly (but congrats on your four articles!). 

An a different note, you're my hero, Kemp.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #287 on: June 14, 2013, 09:00:49 AM »

I'm not going to let you make me feel bad about myself! Can't a guy just enjoy something once in a while? Stop with the personal attacks! What am I not going to eat a whole pizza and enjoy life just to be "healthy"? You folks think I've got it all wrong but everything's just fine over here! I get a kick outta you!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #288 on: June 14, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »

I'm not going to let you make me feel bad about myself! Can't a guy just enjoy something once in a while? Stop with the personal attacks! What am I not going to eat a whole pizza and enjoy life just to be "healthy"? You folks think I've got it all wrong but everything's just fine over here! I get a kick outta you!

I see someone needs a brief relaxation.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #289 on: June 14, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »

I found a dog at my doorstep this morning.  I tried to read the name on the collar but it ripped off and then a windgust came and flew it into the garbage disposal.

I think I'll keep him and call him Winfield.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #290 on: June 14, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »

I found a dog at my doorstep this morning.  I tried to read the name on the collar but it ripped off and then a windgust came and flew it into the garbage disposal.

I think I'll keep him and call him Winfield.

Is he Blue?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #291 on: June 14, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »

This is definitely a mob firm. All their clients are Italians or Greeks, and my boss told me the firm was super aggressive in the real estate market in Charleston and never apologizes for what he does because there's money to be had.

Also, all my coworkers hate each other and one had a mental breakdown and left for the day, so most of the work I was supposed to be doing isn't happening. This is going to be an interesting summer.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #292 on: June 14, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »

This is definitely a mob firm. All their clients are Italians or Greeks, and my boss told me the firm was super aggressive in the real estate market in Charleston and never apologizes for what he does because there's money to be had.

Also, all my coworkers hate each other and one had a mental breakdown and left for the day, so most of the work I was supposed to be doing isn't happening. This is going to be an interesting summer.

Sounds like the beginnings of a good novel and movie.  Keep safe but, of course, keep us posted, Duke!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #293 on: June 14, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »

It will be good to see Dukey's cute Greek Boy face representing some Greek hit man in court.  I want your autograph Dukey before the FBI figures out what you're doing.  Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »

What does being "super aggressive" in the real estate market mean, in particular for a law firm, and what does not have to do with organized crime?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »

I really don't know what she meant by that, but apparently this is one of the bigger real estate firms in town, but I know little about closing because I have yet to buy a home of my own.

The head attorney told me during my interview that he hopes I will be able to conduct a closing with a real client by the end of the summer, but part of me thinks "closing" in this context actually means killing someone as opposed to closing on a real estate transaction. Just a thought...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2013, 03:06:22 PM »

I really don't know what she meant by that, but apparently this is one of the bigger real estate firms in town, but I know little about closing because I have yet to buy a home of my own.

The head attorney told me during my interview that he hopes I will be able to conduct a closing with a real client by the end of the summer, but part of me thinks "closing" in this context actually means killing someone as opposed to closing on a real estate transaction. Just a thought...

I wonder if they use this for negotiating price:

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »

I've already accepted I'm going to have blood on my hands by the end of the summer.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #298 on: June 14, 2013, 03:12:14 PM »

You sure that you are just ingesting alcohol these days Dukey?  LSD can be a powerful drug Dukey.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »

I haven't eaten anything since Monday after my bout with food poisoning for the past few days, so perhaps that's it. I still feel extremely weak and a bit dizzy. No LSD for me though, at least not yet.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies