The Update for Everybody Else
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 06:43:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Update for Everybody Else
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 44
Author Topic: The Update for Everybody Else  (Read 86726 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: July 09, 2013, 04:15:28 AM »

I've still been evacuated from my home since Thursday.  The wildfire has spread to about 100ft from the outskirts of the neighborhood, although the firefighters are doing all they can to prevent property damage, and no injuries have been reported thankfully.  Overall the fire is about 15% contained, and today we were given a tentative date of July 19th for total containment and a possible return to our homes.

I only packed enough clothes for about three days.  Sad
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #501 on: July 09, 2013, 04:34:03 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 04:51:28 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

Yikes. I'm really sorry this is happening, Joe. Best of luck. I have no idea what it must be like deal with a situation like that.

I'm going to be in Japan for six weeks (including for the House of Councillors election!); my plane is taking off in six hours. I'm really nervous.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #502 on: July 09, 2013, 04:43:46 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 04:47:41 AM by Tik: Awkward Overreaction Machine »

I've still been evacuated from my home since Thursday.  The wildfire has spread to about 100ft from the outskirts of the neighborhood, although the firefighters are doing all they can to prevent property damage, and no injuries have been reported thankfully.  Overall the fire is about 15% contained, and today we were given a tentative date of July 19th for total containment and a possible return to our homes.

I only packed enough clothes for about three days.  Sad

That is my worst fear living here. I hope your family, friends, and home aren't touched by the fires. I hope it's not that long of a wait.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #503 on: July 09, 2013, 05:24:11 AM »

I've still been evacuated from my home since Thursday.  The wildfire has spread to about 100ft from the outskirts of the neighborhood, although the firefighters are doing all they can to prevent property damage, and no injuries have been reported thankfully.  Overall the fire is about 15% contained, and today we were given a tentative date of July 19th for total containment and a possible return to our homes.

I only packed enough clothes for about three days.  Sad

Best wishes Joe. Hope you get back home soon.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #504 on: July 10, 2013, 04:21:20 AM »

In related news, the daily town briefings by the fire chiefs have had the side effect that I have gotten to know some more of my neighbors.  And frankly I had no idea that so many of them were bug-eyed libertarian weirdos.  It figures, I guess; it's a small community in the mountains of Nevada.

One of them actually stood up to ask why, when police roadblocks are forbidding entry to the town to everybody except fire crews, they were also allowing buses of prisoners up there specifically to loot our properties.  (The crew of 800 firefighters have been using all types of transportation to get up the mountain from home base, including prison buses.)  Another fellow resident is still up there even now, because the stinkin gubmint can't force him to leave, dagnabit.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #505 on: July 10, 2013, 07:58:57 AM »

I'm safely ensconced in Chiba Prefecture.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #506 on: July 10, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »

I hope you talk Japanese.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #507 on: July 11, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »

And I'm now relegated to my phone. Part of my laptop keyboard just died so it's relegated to a gaming console right now. If I'm not on here as much that's why.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #508 on: July 11, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »

I do.

I'm in Kyoto now, about to go to sleep. The weather here is awful. Everything else is good so far.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #509 on: July 11, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »

I've learnt recently that despite all my time I spend here for some reason I've been working way, way too hard over the last couple of months.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #510 on: July 11, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »

My church is getting a new minister this week.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #511 on: July 11, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »

Have any of my fellow law students (or former law students I guess, though I feel like most of the actual lawyers on this forum graduated from law school a while ago) done EIP or other on-campus interviewing? I'm putting together a bid list for firms right now, and they all look the same and work you ridiculous hours and I have no idea whether I want to do transactional or litigation. I have an appointment with a counselor tomorrow, so hopefully she gives me some decent advice.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #512 on: July 11, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »

My boss hasn't let up. She asked me to go with her to lunch again today, but thankfully I had already made plans.

This was after the mother of one of the attorneys here died and the whole firm was out of the office till 10 this morning at the funeral service. I think I actually want the girl I am sort of seeing to come back to town now....

And Lief, I haven't done EIP, but I have done some on-campus interviewing. Unfortunately for me and many of my fellow law students, scoring a job seems to have more to do with who you know than anything else.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #513 on: July 11, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »

On Monday my psychiatrist gave the the go-ahead to stop taking the antidepressant I was prescribed back in May (I'm still taking the mood stabilizer o/c). Today I started feeling the SSRI Withdrawal and it's pretty much the most annoying thing ever. Like it's not debilitating or anything, it just that every few minutes I feel like my brain got struck by lightning.

Also here's an amusing gif

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #514 on: July 11, 2013, 02:04:17 PM »

My boss hasn't let up. She asked me to go with her to lunch again today, but thankfully I had already made plans.

If she makes you an offer you can't refuse, and you refuse, I'll come to the Makaria with your family.  Cry 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #515 on: July 11, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »

Duke just go to lunch with her. When I was interning in Congress, the chief of staff asked me to have lunch with him one day, and he asked me about my plans and studies and interests, and now he gives me references when I apply for stuff. Maybe you're overthinking things.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #516 on: July 11, 2013, 09:18:23 PM »

Been a great summer so far. Still getting a lot of exercise and eating better too. Also been surprisingly busy hanging out with friends and having family get-togethers. Less time spent sitting at home feeling sorry for myself+getting busy with a balance of commitments, fun, and "me time"=happier life. Imagine that! Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #517 on: July 11, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »

On Monday my psychiatrist gave the the go-ahead to stop taking the antidepressant I was prescribed back in May (I'm still taking the mood stabilizer o/c). Today I started feeling the SSRI Withdrawal and it's pretty much the most annoying thing ever. Like it's not debilitating or anything, it just that every few minutes I feel like my brain got struck by lightning.

I've done plenty of drugs in my day. Anti-depressants have the worst withdrawal ever. Ok, so I've never done heroin or cigarettes, and they're probably worse to come off of. But seriously, they suck. And not even helpful beyond placebo levels when one is on them.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #518 on: July 11, 2013, 09:30:26 PM »

Good news, everyone! I put in my two weeks notice at Sushi Land on Friday. However, going into work today--I was sick all last week and my basement was flooded Monday so I couldn't go in then--it seems they accepted it early. My name was crossed off the schedule in pencil, and the owner/manager/my boss--a man of foreign descent, Korean I believe, who speaks in a way no one understands--indicated that I was free from work. He said something that sounded like "notice" referring to my two weeks notice, and seemed to say that if I ever needed a job again, I could come knocking. Good to know. Meanwhile, I've lined up intermittent work for the company a friend's dad is an employee of. The friend and another person get to go in from 8 AM to 3:30 and break up crap for fifteen bucks an hour. While a second friend will be going with him on Saturday, the first day said work is available and the day before my grad party, I'll be going in on Monday with him.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #519 on: July 11, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »

I've done plenty of drugs in my day. Anti-depressants have the worst withdrawal ever. Ok, so I've never done heroin or cigarettes, and they're probably worse to come off of. But seriously, they suck. And not even helpful beyond placebo levels when one is on them.

Alcohol has a horrendous withdrawal. Take the worst hangover and multiple it by x1000 and mix up some real bad central nervous system disruptions. The booze is a depressant so you have those symptoms also.  I was a consistent smoker at one time and that is a breeze.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #520 on: July 11, 2013, 10:53:31 PM »

I never got any brain shocks when I withdrew from escitalopram, but I did get mood swings (that I've even taken out on a forum member once) and suicidal thoughts at times. It was a bad, bad time. I might transition to Zoloft, no idea if that's going to work.

Anyways, I'm going to PA next week, so feel free to hit me up. I want to visit family and friends and I might pay my school a visit. Might hit up Wildwood too.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #521 on: July 13, 2013, 08:09:45 PM »

I am back in Canada after my trips to China, Hong Kong and Singapore over the past several weeks.  Had a very good time overall.  But the trip from Singapore to Nova Scotia registered a total travel time of twenty-six and a half hours.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #522 on: July 13, 2013, 09:20:50 PM »

My parents left for 10 days to Alaska so I have the house to myself until July 23rd.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #523 on: July 13, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »

PARTY AT DAVE'S
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #524 on: July 15, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »

Well, I'm currently without a laptop. It's getting fixed now, and my only connection to Atlas is my iPad. I REALLY want to use this time to leave the house, so it's just a matter of getting my mother out of here. She's trying to get me to stay holed up here because "I have my iPad and my phone, so I'll be fine without a laptop". Between the fact that she doesn't like leaving the house and my dad is busy working, I'm not exactly optimistic on actually seeing somewhere else.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies