The Update for Everybody Else (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:44:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Update for Everybody Else (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Update for Everybody Else  (Read 85788 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:46:58 AM »

Working on my last freaking paper... starting to pack up my stuff since I need to leave the Residence Hall by Saturday... having mixed feelings about leaving SF (homesickness v. extreme sadness about leaving an awesome place filled with awesome people).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »

My cat's dying of renal failure. I've had him since I was four.

Sad Sorry to hear that. I can't imagine the feeling.

As for me, I'm out of my dorm room now! It really feels weird to leave the place that has been my home for almost a full year... I hold out a little hope that I can meet a few friends one last time, but for some reason it always gets complicated.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:37:10 AM »

He's passed. It was peaceful, at home, and with a minimum of pain, thank God.

You have my deepest condolences. I'm not sure if that's the word I should be using for this situation, but considering the kind of relationship you had with him it probably is. I hope you are not suffering too much.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:42:05 AM »

Again, I've no idea what you guys mean with this "frienzone" thing. Considering my personal experience, I really don't understand this idea that being very good friends with a girl without any love feelings being involved is somehow strange or demeaning. Yes, I know I'm in many ways a special case, but I don't think I'm in the majority on this (or at least I hope so, otherwise I need to change my gender out of shame).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »

In a nut shell, it's a millennial generation take on unrequited love. Guy develops feelings for a female friend, desires to take it to the next level but is rebuffed with "let's just stay friends." or at least a presumption that such a thing would happen.

This is something that definitely can happen, isn't it? And it probably happens just as often to both genders. Friendship is not always immediately distinguishable from love, and of course a relationship can be interpreted differently by the people involved. I'm pretty sure there isn't even anything inherently modern about that.

What I find incredibly creepy is people who seem to think all guys who are friends with girls actually are just trying to "get laid". And the fact that these people are often male tends to mean they say more about themselves than about others...

So I was stuck outside halfway between the city hall and campus when some massive, uber-massive rain storm fell on me and totally soaked me, from head to toe. My clothes were wet or damp for 3 hours after that, and it destroyed some papers in my bag. Pretty horrible.

Oh God, that must be horrible. I would get crazy if this happened to me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »

In a nut shell, it's a millennial generation take on unrequited love. Guy develops feelings for a female friend, desires to take it to the next level but is rebuffed with "let's just stay friends." or at least a presumption that such a thing would happen.

More accurately, it's an invention designed by our blubbering, socially incompetent contemporaries to blame their inability to cope with rejection and letdown on society and trivialized versions of people instead of themselves.

More often, it's actually not rejection so much as the fear of rejection that keeps people in the so-called "friend zone". See Snowstalker's example.

It might be because I am just as (if not more) awkward as Snowstalker, but from my perspective his attitude in that situation makes perfect sense. Sure, he could go on and make his feelings known, but why should he if nothing good can possibly come from that?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »

More accurately, it's an invention designed by our blubbering, socially incompetent contemporaries to blame their inability to cope with rejection and letdown on society and trivialized versions of people instead of themselves.

More often, it's actually not rejection so much as the fear of rejection that keeps people in the so-called "friend zone". See Snowstalker's example.

It might be because I am just as (if not more) awkward as Snowstalker, but from my perspective his attitude in that situation makes perfect sense. Sure, he could go on and make his feelings known, but why should he if nothing good can possibly come from that?

To get it out of his system and be able to move on.

Thank you, politicus. At worst, she says no, you mope about it for a week or two, and you move on without the feelings. At best, you have a girlfriend.

But what if a good friendship is ruined in the process? Isn't it something worth preserving as well?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »

Anyway, in the case you missed it, I'm now back to France. Same mixed feelings I mentioned earlier.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »

Thank you, politicus. At worst, she says no, you mope about it for a week or two, and you move on without the feelings. At best, you have a girlfriend.

But what if a good friendship is ruined in the process? Isn't it something worth preserving as well?

One can ask someone out and still stay friends.

I guess it depends from the context. It might give rise to a lot of awkwardness on each side.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 10:44:28 PM »

One can ask someone out and still stay friends.

I guess it depends from the context. It might give rise to a lot of awkwardness on each side.

A girl asked me out once last year and I rejected her, but we're still cool 'n' stuff.

Every situation is different, though. What works in one case doesn't necessarily work as well in another.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »

I got assigned an additional 4 page analysis paper just because my coop interviews next week will overlap with class time; in addition to two 10-page papers due in the second week of June. What the hell? Is it my facking fault that my coop interviews overlap with sacred class time?

That prof is a horrible person who should go DIAF. Jesus Christ. God I hate this stupid bullsh**t.

Wow, quite an asshole indeed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »

Family gathering, started Lexapro since I found out headaches weren't a side effect. It's screwed with m tolerence.

When I actually use "Bitch I might be" in a conversation" and telling IRC that "I love titties", it's time to stop drinking.

I should add that Sawx repeatedly messaged me on Facebook with messages about how he loves me (with a blurry selfie!) and how Oakvale took his keys, among other things.

When Snowstalker of all people is the most reasonable guy in an instant chat, you know something is very wrong. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »

Don't do liberal arts. They're all useless degrees.

Roll Eyes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

Regardless of whether it is absolutely true or not, the implicit premise that higher education only has value if it leads you to making lots of money later in your life is utterly horrendous.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 03:52:18 AM »

I was talking to the girl I like (Liz) again last night about college.  Since I'm likely moving to the state she's attending college at, I wanted to know what things are like where she goes.  She said she was at a concert and that we could talk about it later.  I said, "okay."

Almost 24 hours later; no new messages.

Gulp. Sad

Patience. Every reason you think is causing the delay is wrong. It's something completely innocent and normal. Fear not, puissant paladin.

That's what I'm hoping.  What I don't know is how long I should wait before messaging her again.  I don't want to come across as an obsessed stalker.

I can also very much relate to this. I never know how often I can contact people (in my case, mostly friends) without being creepy. And I feel very concerned every time I don't get a response.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 12:56:24 AM »

Had my first non-self-imposed sleepless night today, for a reason I don't yet understand.

Today I all but confirmed my suspicion that I have thyroid disease, specifically hypothyroidism. Trouble is, my insurance is completely useless because of the back-breaking deductible on it, so I'll end up having to pay a sum and a half for any official diagnosis.

So sorry to hear that. Sad F**king American health insurances.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »

I'm in Savoie now. Real vacations begin. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 04:31:30 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2013, 04:33:06 AM by Formerly Californian Tony »

Nathan, to be honest like Afleitch, I think there have been a couple times when you have been more aggressive and less thoughtful than you are capable to, but I don't think this is something you should worry about at all. It happens to almost all of us on this forum. Often people here are stupid jerks and all we want to do is to tell them to screw themselves. I do this all the time, and many of our best posters do.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 01:18:50 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if the stress I've been undergoing the past year or so has been adversely affecting my value as a poster by making me more irritable and quick to default to the aspects of my personality and worldview that piss people off...

What 'stress' do you experience, mate?

I'm in a major with an 80% attrition rate with one semester left, my cat had been ailing for a while and died last month, and there have been a lot of health problems in my family.

I cannot speak about your other problems, but regarding the academic aspect, I hope you trust me when I say you will be fine. I don't mean it as a simple encouragement. From what you have told me, I think we are very similar in this regard. Every semester, I panic and convince myself that this time I won't make it, and in the end, like you, I always pass rather easily. I don't know the details of your situation and I know it's much easier to say this when you're not directly concerned, but I hope you take my word for it.

Next time I am the one panicking about academics, a similar comment would probably help me out a lot. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 04:52:40 PM »

GUYS GUYS GUYS

I've just finished my second date with this girl. We hung out literally all day, like 10 hours. I have all these butterflies in my stomach it's amazing. She's so hot, we think on the same level, I never have to explain what I say to her, I can be myself around her and still have a great time, we have perfectly complimentary sexual predilections, we're just all-in-all very awesome for each other. I know I've already told IRC about this but I just needed to gush a bit on the forum proper Smiley

Congrats, mate! This is the best thing that could possibly happen to someone. Smiley

(to be fully honest, there is slight a note of jealousy in my mind right now - and I sincerely apologize for that - it just has to do with my own recent experience)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 05:06:54 PM »

GUYS GUYS GUYS

I've just finished my second date with this girl. We hung out literally all day, like 10 hours. I have all these butterflies in my stomach it's amazing. She's so hot, we think on the same level, I never have to explain what I say to her, I can be myself around her and still have a great time, we have perfectly complimentary sexual predilections, we're just all-in-all very awesome for each other. I know I've already told IRC about this but I just needed to gush a bit on the forum proper Smiley

Congrats, mate! This is the best thing that could possibly happen to someone. Smiley

(to be fully honest, there is slight a note of jealousy in my mind right now - and I sincerely apologize for that - it just has to do with my own recent experience)

Thank you! But honestly, no need to be jealous Smiley If anything just use it as motivation to better yourself?

That's what I hope to do, indeed. But it's a huge task, believe me. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 06:13:32 PM »

I got an A in Constitutional Law! This somewhat makes up for the B I got in Property. Now I just need to hope at least one out of the twenty people I interview for in August likes me.

Cool! Smiley I had an awesome Constitutional Law class at USF last semester, about the 1st Amendment. I even got to write a SC opinion as Anthony Kennedy! Got an A+.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 08:03:10 AM »

Wait, you met Stephen Harper and managed to resist to the urge of punching him in the face? How did you do that? Shocked
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »

Wait, you met Stephen Harper and managed to resist to the urge of punching him in the face? How did you do that? Shocked

Look at the three guys in the shades... I probably would be in some jail or labour camp in Nunavut if I had punched him in the face. Besides, I'm not the type of person who would go up to barricades only to make a scene a la "casse-toi alors pov' con" dude.

Not saying you should have, of course! I just imagined that it would be hard to control yourself in a situation like this. Grin
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 02:56:05 AM »

Really sorry to hear that, Afleitch. Sad All my condolences.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies