bredesen/easley vs. pawlenty/gregg?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:54:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  bredesen/easley vs. pawlenty/gregg?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: bredesen/easley vs. pawlenty/gregg?  (Read 1456 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2005, 02:57:02 PM »

how would this race shape up between two southern governors and two northern republicans, tim pawlenty and judd gregg.

i think the bredesen/easley ticket would be a very strong one.

some states could go either way:
virginia
wva
kentucky
florida
oregon
nevada
pennsylvania
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 03:11:35 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2005, 03:19:50 PM by nickshepDEM »

Hmmm, that would probably be a pretty good race. Im gonna' go out on the limb with this one and say....

Bredesen/Easley win 326-212
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 06:41:41 PM »

how would this race shape up between two southern governors and two northern republicans, tim pawlenty and judd gregg.

i think the bredesen/easley ticket would be a very strong one.

some states could go either way:
virginia
wva
kentucky
florida
oregon
nevada
pennsylvania

I don't see the Dems doing that well in the South and losing ground in the North. This map assumes too much about home states and not enough about the party's bases.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 09:09:14 PM »

Also, I'll add that while Bredesen has become more folksy and improved his southern accent, he's no hick or good ole boy. He's a savvy millionaire businessman who happens to be a big time moderate. He's not Clinton or Carter. He could and would appeal to mainstream Dems all over (in the general).

He happens to be in a very good position, approval rating wise because:

He has staked his entire first term on being fiscally responsible and not even considering a tax increase. This comes after a Republican governor who, according to republicans, betrayed the party by pushing an income tax and then supporting a sales tax increase when that failed. So Repubs are happy because they've got someone that acts more republican (on tax and spend) and the Dems are happy (although its fading a little) because they thought they might never win a statewide race in Tennessee again. And Bredesen's good on education. But I'm not sure his popularity translates into strength in other Southern states in the way this map implies.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 02:43:35 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2005, 02:49:31 PM by ian »

I know this is farfetched, but I am willing to go with my original thoughts.  In case you didn't know, LA, AR, MO, OK, NC, and KY all have many more Democrats than Republicans, as far as political affiliation goes; so do CT and VT, except the other way around.  I think 2 southern Democrats could turn things around pretty fast in a race; we haven't really gotten to see that in action since Clinton.  I think this particular map can come close to happening, even though you guys probably don't think so.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 03:08:33 PM »

Democrats won't win the South, period. MAYBE Bredesen picks off TN, but I doubt it, and Easley sure as hell doesn't pull NC as the VP nominee. The GOP would win OK if they ran David Duke, so that's just a silly claim by ian. And Arkansas and Louisiana are solid GOP, probably as is Missouri, unless it's a blowout, and the Dems will hold California & Vermont.

That's all assuming a reasonably close race, in a massacre of course it doesn't matter.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 03:15:53 PM »

Democrats won't win the South, period. MAYBE Bredesen picks off TN, but I doubt it, and Easley sure as hell doesn't pull NC as the VP nominee. The GOP would win OK if they ran David Duke, so that's just a silly claim by ian. And Arkansas and Louisiana are solid GOP, probably as is Missouri, unless it's a blowout, and the Dems will hold California & Vermont.

That's all assuming a reasonably close race, in a massacre of course it doesn't matter.

I agree. The Democrats should give up on the South and focus on the Midwest and Southwest.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 03:31:18 PM »

I agree. The Democrats should give up on the South and focus on the Midwest and Southwest.

I agree somewhat.  Theres 29 electoral votes in Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona.  I think we could flip those 4 before we could flip Georgia, North Carolina, Tennesse, Virginia etc...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies