Reid to revisit nuke option in July?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:32:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Reid to revisit nuke option in July?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reid to revisit nuke option in July?  (Read 1121 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »

For nominations only, depending on Cordray/McCarthy/Perez. WH would support him.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »

I have more confidence in Bushie's weight loss plans.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »

I have more confidence in Bushie's weight loss plans.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »

Filibuster reform should be all or nothing... quit with the stupid nuclear options just to get what you want only when you think it's important.  They should require actual filibusters to be a filibuster, and that'd solve everything.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 03:37:03 PM »

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »

Filibuster reform should be all or nothing... quit with the stupid nuclear options just to get what you want only when you think it's important.  They should require actual filibusters to be a filibuster, and that'd solve everything.

The "nuclear option" isn't a type of filibuster reform, it's a procedural way for Reid to pass real reform (requiring a spoken filibuster, like you suggested) that only requires 51 votes to pass. It's kind of a stupid name, because only in the US Senate would something passing by a majority be called "nuclear."
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »

The "nuclear option" isn't a type of filibuster reform, it's a procedural way for Reid to pass real reform (requiring a spoken filibuster, like you suggested) that only requires 51 votes to pass. It's kind of a stupid name, because only in the US Senate would something passing by a majority be called "nuclear."

I understand what the nuclear option is.  But the way to go about not having your nominees filibustered is not to say, "Well, nominees should be an exception to the filibuster rule."
Benj

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 04:08:16 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2013, 04:11:56 PM by Benj »

Filibuster reform should be all or nothing... quit with the stupid nuclear options just to get what you want only when you think it's important.  They should require actual filibusters to be a filibuster, and that'd solve everything.

I understand what the nuclear option is.  But the way to go about not having your nominees filibustered is not to say, "Well, nominees should be an exception to the filibuster rule."

You should tell the Senate Republicans that. I'm sure they would agree with you that Obama's nominees are filibustered four times more often than Bush's because Reid is using the exact same threats that Bill Frist used when Bush was President.

No, it is of course because the Republicans viscerally hate everything about the Democrats, obstruct at all turns as a political strategy, and have no interest in being partners in government.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »

I understand what the nuclear option is.  But the way to go about not having your nominees filibustered is not to say, "Well, nominees should be an exception to the filibuster rule."

Why not?  A nominee is fundamentally different from a piece of legislation.  For example, the ability to pressure the majority to allow an amendment to a bill be considered prior to a vote on that bill is one of the most important benefits of the filibuster.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2013, 07:17:09 PM by Torie »

Bravo to Senator Reid (for once in his sad sack life), who when the Pubs controlled, protected filibusters even more than his package from harm. The reason?  Because it makes clear, that any party, at any time, can dump the filibuster, all of it, so at some point, when that party holds the trifecta. And so  it will so go perhaps, and we can finally got some accountability in government, rather than one side, not holding all the cards, blames the other for poor results, because some of the agenda was filibustered. Let each party do its thing, and let the voters judge, and if they vote thumbs down, the other party with a majority rather than supra majority rule, can reverse it. Keep at it Harry!
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 09:33:02 PM »

Bravo to Senator Reid (for once in his sad sack life), who when the Pubs controlled, protected filibusters even more than his package from harm. The reason?  Because it makes clear, that any party, at any time, can dump the filibuster, all of it, so at some point, when that party holds the trifecta. And so  it will so go perhaps, and we can finally got some accountability in government, rather than one side, not holding all the cards, blames the other for poor results, because some of the agenda was filibustered. Let each party do its thing, and let the voters judge, and if they vote thumbs down, the other party with a majority rather than supra majority rule, can reverse it. Keep at it Harry!

Regardless, something needs to be done about the filibuster: when nothing can get done because literally every piece of legislation is being filibustered, the system needs to be changed. I'm not even necessarily against abolishing the filibuster, but if they're going to keep it, they should at least force them to read the phone book at midnight.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 10:21:27 PM »

On one hand you think it's more likely given that Levin is retiring but on the other there is the concern that they could lose the Senate in 2014. January 2009 would have been the ideal time.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/05/17/2030551/reid-reportedly-prepared-to-disarm-filibusters-for-all-nominees/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 12:45:58 AM »

At this point, the filibuster is the football, Reid is Lucy, and anyone who believes him is Charlie Brown.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 02:49:03 AM »

Filibuster reform should be all or nothing... quit with the stupid nuclear options just to get what you want only when you think it's important.  They should require actual filibusters to be a filibuster, and that'd solve everything.

I understand what the nuclear option is.  But the way to go about not having your nominees filibustered is not to say, "Well, nominees should be an exception to the filibuster rule."

You should tell the Senate Republicans that. I'm sure they would agree with you that Obama's nominees are filibustered four times more often than Bush's because Reid is using the exact same threats that Bill Frist used when Bush was President.

No, it is of course because the Republicans viscerally hate everything about the Democrats, obstruct at all turns as a political strategy, and have no interest in being partners in government.

What exactly is the point that you're trying to make?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 02:52:03 AM »

Why not?  A nominee is fundamentally different from a piece of legislation.  For example, the ability to pressure the majority to allow an amendment to a bill be considered prior to a vote on that bill is one of the most important benefits of the filibuster.

That's a fine argument, but the proper time to make such a change is at the beginning of a session.  Not halfway through when Reid is scared that he can't find the votes to pass a cloture vote.  Yes, the rules need changing, but he's in the position that he's in now because he was too dumb or too scared to do this when the session started.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 05:21:30 AM »

I absolutely agree that eliminating the filibuster would be a great thing for government accountability. Reid should have nuked the filibuster in 2009 when Pelosi controlled a rather big majority in the House. The President would not only have had more legislation passed through Congress, but the legislation would have more left-leaning. The House bill on healthcare, which included a public option, probably would have been law. I think cap-and-trade and the EFCA would be law as well, not to mention a considerable number of other bills that passed the House and died due to the filibuster.

I don't think it would be wise for Reid to nuke the entire filibuster right now, as you suggest. There's no reason to, as legislation that lacks 60 votes in the Senate is pretty much DOA in the House. It doesn't make any sense to wipe out the filibuster entirely unless one party has the trifecta. As long as the Presidency and Senate are under the same party and not the House, the reform should be as Reid is suggesting (limited to presidential nominations). ItBut as much as I'd like to believe this, I'm not buying it right now. Reid has been a disastrous failure on filibuster reform with no excuse. I'll believe it only when I see it.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/06/mcconnell-reid-nuclear-option-filibuster.php

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 08:25:45 PM »

Good.  The filibuster needs to go.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »

Oh, the nuclear option is just filibuster reform. I thought we were going to nuke Syria for a second.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 11:29:56 PM »

Maybe I was taking out some of my annoyance with the name "nuclear option" on you. Sorry.

I don't think nominees should be an exception to the rule, I think the minority should exercise some f#$%ing self control. Filibustering everything forever as a reaction to not getting the girl (ie, losing elections) is a child's tactic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies