NE1 The Northeast Anti Homelessness Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:58:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1 The Northeast Anti Homelessness Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1 The Northeast Anti Homelessness Act  (Read 885 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Bore

I have 24 hours to advocate for this bill. Debate time shall last 72 hours.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2013, 05:23:36 AM by bore »

Personally -and I'm sure we all agree- it is a disgrace that in as rich a country as ours, where there are countless millionaires and the government has revenues of billions, that there are still people in our region who don't have a place to call home. This act will not cost too much, although I have asked the GM for a cost estimate, and I think whatever the cost, if it gets people who don't want to be on the streets (frequently in conditions below 0 celsius) off it will be worth it. I'm sure somee people will worry that this act is rewarding people who in their eyes have done nothing to earn it, implicitly hurting normal tax paying folk. But if you look at the bill it won't provide luxury- it is really the bare minimum that all humans deserve- no one in more comfortable circumstances would want to live in a bed and breakfast where they had to share a toliet.

As well, as this bill was written somewhat hastily I'm adding an amendment to make sure that these locations don't become unhygenic and generally miserable:

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »

I strongly support the concept, but how will this bill be enforced, and how would the municipalities go about providing the housing?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »

I strongly support the concept, but how will this bill be enforced, and how would the municipalities go about providing the housing?

The municipalities could either build new houses or buy old ones- the hotel room/ bed and breakfasts should just be a stopgap.

As for enforcement I suppose we could include fines, though a court can basically order a municipality to provide housing.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 04:19:14 PM »

I really support this, and honestly this will probably end up saving the government money considering the medical costs that people have that are homeless. Their life expectancy will increase, their medical bills will decrease etc.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »

I don't support the bill as is. There needs to be an income threshold of some sort, otherwise why pay for housing at all when the government is willing to support you for free?

In addition I'd like to see work requirements added to the bill.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »

I don't support the bill as is. There needs to be an income threshold of some sort, otherwise why pay for housing at all when the government is willing to support you for free?

In addition I'd like to see work requirements added to the bill.

I agree.  This is too short a bill seeking to accomplish such an enormous task, so right now I can't offer my full support for it.  If the sponsor makes some adjustments to it and expands on its ideals so that they're more comprehensive, I may consider signing it, but right now I just can't.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 06:37:41 AM »

Firstly, can I just say that it's good we're finally getting some debate!

The point of this bill is not to address a general housing problem, its not for Mr and Mrs Joe Public. The specific point of this bill is to make sure that the government provides a safe warm option for rough sleepers. I can see why you'd want an income cap but the bill isn't really for people who are making conventional wages. It's basically setting up things like this (http://www.jimmyscambridge.org.uk/site/about-us/) right across the region.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »

also to be fair, the bill doesn't actually state that municiparies have to provide free homes, just homes built for homeless people, so if someone with a job wants to live there, that fine, but its not free housing most likely.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »

The point of this bill is not to address a general housing problem, its not for Mr and Mrs Joe Public. The specific point of this bill is to make sure that the government provides a safe warm option for rough sleepers. I can see why you'd want an income cap but the bill isn't really for people who are making conventional wages. It's basically setting up things like this (http://www.jimmyscambridge.org.uk/site/about-us/) right across the region.

That looks like a non-profit, I didn't look too deeply into it but I could be wrong. Can we offer grants to non-profits who do this kind of thing, as opposed to government actually financing the entire project?

Bore, a safe warm option for rough sleepers? Is that a typo?

also to be fair, the bill doesn't actually state that municiparies have to provide free homes, just homes built for homeless people, so if someone with a job wants to live there, that fine, but its not free housing most likely.

Snowball, it says all municipalities must provide adequate housing for every citizen. That is tremendously vague, and the implementation process would be horrid --there is zero guidance. Is the housing free? Thats a huge mandate for municipalities to take on. Who do they need to provide housing for...etc etc.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »

I agree with everything SirNick said. The wording in this is too vague and can be too easily abused for me to support this.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 05:46:35 AM »

I'll be working on some changes to the wording over today.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 05:25:40 AM »

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 05:27:57 AM »

That looks like a non-profit, I didn't look too deeply into it but I could be wrong. Can we offer grants to non-profits who do this kind of thing, as opposed to government actually financing the entire project?

Bore, a safe warm option for rough sleepers? Is that a typo?

Yeah it is a non profit,  and in areas where these already operate as a charity I have no problem with grants or even them being just left alone being an option. But in areas where there aren't any of the charity's I think the government should set up their own.

And no that wasn't a typo, though it could have used an extra comma.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »

Your amended bill is more specific as to what kind of building it is, but you didn't address how anyone is going to pay for this.  Does the government need to provide shelter for thr random drunk dude who is too lazy to walk two blocks home? Does anyone get to use these? How long will government have to provide shelter for? Indefinitley?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 06:08:07 AM »

Your amended bill is more specific as to what kind of building it is, but you didn't address how anyone is going to pay for this.  Does the government need to provide shelter for thr random drunk dude who is too lazy to walk two blocks home? Does anyone get to use these? How long will government have to provide shelter for? Indefinitley?

The money will come out of general taxation. The government will provide shelter indefinitely in the same way a soup kitchen provides food indefinitely. I'm introducing another amendment to make it clearer who gets to use these shelters:

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 05:09:24 AM »

Time to bring this to a final vote, for the record this is the final bill:

Voting shall last 48 hours or until all representatives have voted.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 11:05:05 AM »

Nay
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »

Aye
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »

NAY
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 03:04:11 PM »

Yes!
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 04:22:23 AM »

With three ayes and two nays the bill passes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies