The Armenian American vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:15:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Armenian American vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Armenian American vote  (Read 3868 times)
tallguy23
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2013, 03:25:05 PM »

Anyone have any idea how Armenians voted in the last election? They're a very small group in the country but tend to swing between parties from what I gathered.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:34:23 PM »

I guess you'll find out when you wake up and put on a little makeup.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »

the Kardashians don't vote
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 02:53:39 AM »

I can't tell you how amazing this response is. Touché.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »

lol
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »

If it hadn't been for cope's response, morgieb might have ended up with some death points.  Please keep in mind that not everyone keeps up with celebrity gossip.  Kardashians are not the first thing I think of when I think of Armenians.  They're not even in my top ten thousand things to think of.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »

If it hadn't been for cope's response, morgieb might have ended up with some death points.  Please keep in mind that not everyone keeps up with celebrity gossip.  Kardashians are not the first thing I think of when I think of Armenians.  They're not even in my top ten thousand things to think of.

Morgieb was referencing lyrics from Chop Suey by System Of A Down.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »

That's what I figured, and I don't even know the song lyric in question.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:03:53 PM »

whaaat? I'm confused. What was so horrible about a pop culture reference? I don't see how it's a big deal.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »

Ernest misread morgieb's post as some sort of weird personal attack. I don't get it either. He's usually not this dense.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »

whaaat? I'm confused. What was so horrible about a pop culture reference? I don't see how it's a big deal.

Except I didn't get it as a pop culture reference at first.  Everyone is entitled to being occasionally dense.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »

Not in office. Tongue
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »

Relevant to atlas and the above convo.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 03:43:31 AM »

Faroff is a genious. This one was one of the few positive things of 2010 campain, but one of his firsts is his masterpiece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZBuYbKgvQI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I just can't get tired of listening.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 02:36:21 PM »

For an attempt at an answer: Approximately a third of the Armenian-American population lives in LA County, and specifically hereabouts:

Obama took about 72% of the vote on the South Side of Glendale in 2008, 62% in its northern parts, 66% in Burbank, 85% in the most Armenian parts of LA City although that's to do with the non-Armenians there in Silverlake etc.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »

There is a bit of a Democratic Armenian-American machine in local politics in the Glendale-North Hollywood-Hollywood area. San Mateo also has lots of successful Armenian Dem politicians. It seems, though, that when in suburban or culturally conservative areas, Armenian politicians are more conservative and in liberal areas they are more liberal. But in conservative areas, the ethnicity seems to be played down (except for fundraising/community purposes).

LA City Councilman Paul Krekorian is really the most prominent Armenian-American politician who works to actively organize the Armenian-American voting bloc. He was a Burbank School Board Member, turned Assemblyman before he cashed in with a seat on the LA City council that pays $200K+/year.

(CA State assemblymembers--even those that were previously elected in other cities like district 2 councilman Krikorian (Burbank), district 5 councilman Koretz (former West Hollywood councilman and assemblyman), and soon to be district 6 councilwoman Cindy Montanez (former San Fernando City Councilwoman) all have hopped across the city borders and onto the gravy train at LA City hall...)

Additionally, San Mateo has a number of successful Armenian Dems. Both San Mateo-based congresswomen Reps. Anna Eshoo and Jackie Speier are part Armenian, as is the state senator Joe Simitian.

But even though the heavily Armenian areas are strongly Democratic, there is a history of prominent Armenian Republicans in CA politics, including, of course, CA Gov. George Deumejian (1983-1991). Meanwhile, gop judge and ex-state sen. Chuck Poochigian ran statewide in CA. And there was the tea partier ex-state assemblyman Kaloogian who was defeated by Bilbray in the special election in North San Diego County a while ago...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies