FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:49:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 10065 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »

If that really happened, they'd definitely give it to somewhere in the Americas. (Remember 1986?)

Of course. I think they'd aim to take the games out of South America and with Mexico surely not in the running, I don't see how they'd go to any country other than the U.S. Brazil would still have to be allowed to qualify automatically but would that mean the new hosts automatically get in? I'd point to the 1986 example but I'm pretty sure te tournament wasn't moved just a year in advance.

Argentina is a country that comes to mind as an option, but I assume they don't have the infrastructure to make it happen. It would certainly be adding insult to Brazil's injury to move it there.

Infrastructure aside, I think Argentina would probably be ripe with the same feelings that are sweeping Brazil right now. Also, as you noted, moving the tournament to a neighbor/rival will be highly controversial. That's why I think FIFA would "play it safe" and move it out of the continent. Plus, rumor is that Argentina and Uruguay are being eyed as co-hosts for the 100th anniversary of the World Cup in 2030.

The U.S. is honestly in the best position (at least in the Americas) to step in with such short notice. I think we can all agree on that. It's a real shame this is even being discussed. I'd love the tournament to be here but I was looking forward to Brazil as hosts. This isn't like South Africa or Qatar; this actually looked like it would be fun so it can't be argued that I want it moved just because I don't like the host choice.

And remember: Brazil is hosting the Olympics in 2016. This has to be a major concern. That's why moving the World Cup would be a double blow.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2013, 06:10:04 PM »

They would have to be friggin insane to make Argentina host the world cup in 2014. We can't even keep our trains running without crashing into something.

And as Phil noted we are a hair away from something similar happening here.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2013, 06:57:30 AM »

My predictions for today:

2 Italy vs. Brazil 2
3 Japan vs. Mexico 2
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2013, 08:25:50 AM »

Ok, it's the big day. Prediction time. Part of me wants to say we have no chance for a win. We haven't beaten Brazil in three decades. They haven't lost a competitive (or any match?) at home since 1975. We are without De Rossi and Pirlo. The protests can be a distraction for both teams but probably more intimidating to visitors. The other part of me says...this is exactly the type of situation - with everything against us - where we'd win. Eh, what the hell...

Italy -  2
Brazil -  1

Japan -  2
Mexico -  1
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »

Very late to get a pick in ...
Brazil 0
Italy 0

Late game
Japan 2
Mexico 0
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2013, 03:13:51 PM »

Second half begins. I just put my Italy jersey on. We score ten seconds later.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »

So unless we score two goals and don't concede anymore, we're facing Spain. Sad
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »

It ended 4-2 Brazil and Mexico finally won. 2-1 in that one. At least this has been a high scoring tournament.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2013, 06:15:02 PM »

The chance the demonstrations have of sending the cup away from Brazil is zero. Any such discussions should have been made four years ago. The investments were already done, now we've got to work hard to make them pay back. If the tournament is taken to another country, it will be disrespectful to the Brazilian taxpayer.
The strategy to menace it, relating the spending with the ones needed in healthcare and education, was very powerful and efficacious, OTOH, so, expect the demonstrators rallying on every stadium's neighbourhood.

Next game is here, we'll see what happens.

On another note...
What do you folks suggest for dinner, Capeletti or Lasagna? (Pizza can't be voted, once it is a known Brazilian typical food, as Macaroni also is  Grin )

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »

I think we'll be meeting Brazil again so don't get so cocky. Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2013, 01:53:50 AM »

Italy wasn't bad, but the Brazilians had the better finishers.

Ballotelli often missed good chances and other Italians as well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2013, 08:55:09 AM »

Last day of group action. My picks...

Nigeria -  1
Spain -  3

Uruguay -  5
Tahiti -  0
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »

4 Spain
1 Nigeria

6 Uruguay
1 Tahiti
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »

Half in both matches. Spain up 1-0. Uruguay up 4-0.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »

Brazil vs. Uruguay and Spain vs. Italy.

Let's recall that in 2009 when it was supposed to be a Spain vs. Brazil Final in this tournament, the Spanish were shocked by the United States, of all teams. That ended a 35 game unbeaten streak for the Spanish. They're currently on a 25 game undefeated run that goes back to 2011.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2013, 04:53:13 PM »

Let's recall the 1950 FIFA World Cup final: Uruguay vs Brazil. Luckily for Brazilians, the final will be played at Belo Horizonte and not at the Maracaná Stadium.

Also, another recall for the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship Final, which took place on June 18 at Teddy Stadium, Jerusalem: Spain 4- Italy 2.

Seemingly, our young players want to perpetuate the rule of the Evil Empire in world's football. At least, they'll try.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »

españa bitches
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »

Let's recall the 1950 FIFA World Cup final: Uruguay vs Brazil. Luckily for Brazilians, the final will be played at Belo Horizonte and not at the Maracaná Stadium.

Also, another recall for the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship Final, which took place on June 18 at Teddy Stadium, Jerusalem: Spain 4- Italy 2.

Seemingly, our young players want to perpetuate the rule of the Evil Empire in world's football. At least, they'll try.

Euro 2012 Final -  Spain 4   Italy 0

U-21 Euro 2013 Final -  Spain 4   Italy 2

This one is destined to be 4-4. Since Spain beat us in penalty kicks in the 2008 Euro Quarter Final to begin their Reign of Terror, we will end the pattern by winning in a shoot out and all will be right in the world.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2013, 05:56:36 PM »

Interesting theory, Phil. Soon we'll see if it's valid. You'll have to concede that Spain's rule in the World's football has supposed a slight improvement in Italian and German styles, which is a great thing for the game, regardless what country wins the tournaments Wink

Proud bitches.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »

No, it hasn't been great for the game and I'll be dancing in the streets once their reign has officially ended.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »

I won't blame you if you can't appreciate the good playing style, but Italy and Germany have improved (and I like specially the latter). In the case that it's only nationalism and if we win the semis (and hopefully the tournament) I'll be sorry for you.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »

This is why people despise that disgusting, disgusting team and their fans. They live for decades as perennial losers/chokers then win a few tournaments and suddenly they have room to be patronizing. Your time at the top is coming to an end, bub. This year, maybe, but definitely next year. And it will be glorious. Good day to you, sir.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2013, 07:00:01 PM »

This is why people despise that disgusting, disgusting team and their fans. They live for decades as perennial losers/chokers then win a few tournaments and suddenly they have room to be patronizing. Your time at the top is coming to an end, bub. This year, maybe, but definitely next year. And it will be glorious. Good day to you, sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scaAz1zcdXI
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2013, 07:06:11 PM »

See, Phil, people who understand the game don't despise "that disgusting team", it's just the contrary. Hooligans are another question. What's what you cannot stand, a team who never gained a World tournament before and now plays better than the rest and mark the trend? Really stupid. On the other hand, nothing lasts forever but, unlike the average sweet and tender hooligan, that won't affect my life, believe me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2013, 08:27:22 PM »

See, Phil, people who understand the game don't despise "that disgusting team", it's just the contrary. Hooligans are another question. What's what you cannot stand, a team who never gained a World tournament before and now plays better than the rest and mark the trend? Really stupid. On the other hand, nothing lasts forever but, unlike the average sweet and tender hooligan, that won't affect my life, believe me.

You mean to tell me I'm not a fan or don't understand the game because I dislike a team? I don't think you understand sports, my friend. Now one can certainly dislike a team but still appreciate their contributions. I'm just not that way when it comes to the Spanish.

As for Snowstalker, this isn't a place for bandwagon idiots that don't follow the game/competition. Don't come around, broadcast your "support: for a team you can tell us little to nothing about and not comment on the game. You don't watch Soccer, Snow. We know you certainly don't play it. I can tolerate banter between myself and a Spanish fan because that person is actually a fan. You're the child in the stands at a game that the camera zooms in on during slow play because you're too busy concentrating on your ice cream cone.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies