FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:58:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
Author Topic: FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 10021 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 30, 2013, 05:01:50 PM »

The way the Brazilians sang their national anthem was so intense. The crowd and the players are pumped. I hope they chew the Spanish up and spit them out.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #226 on: June 30, 2013, 05:03:42 PM »

OHHHHHHH!!!!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #227 on: June 30, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »

whatthefuckwhatthefuckwhatthefuckwhatthefuck
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #228 on: June 30, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »

Sensational Luiz save on the line.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #229 on: June 30, 2013, 05:45:48 PM »

Spain are being thrashed! The two worst times for them to concede: at the very, very beginning and right before half. The divas are dazed.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #230 on: June 30, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »

What was that???
O.k., Spain is tired after 120 minutes against Italy. But I never expected Brazil to play so physical, so European. First a goal in Gerd Müller style, and then Neymar paying tribute to Wayne Rooney...
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #231 on: June 30, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »

More than disappointed at how we're faring against these violent animals. Of course, the Brazzies can't play this game of constant brutal attack forever.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #232 on: June 30, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »

Oh my God.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #233 on: June 30, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »

An ass kicking. A complete ass kicking. And it isn't over thankfully.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2013, 06:14:28 PM »

Bwahahahaha! Even missing a generous penalty!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #235 on: June 30, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »

iRoja!

Go ahead. Show us another shot of sad Shakira.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #236 on: June 30, 2013, 06:54:39 PM »

The end is now.

Thank you to Brazil but also to Italy. The Azzurri sacrificed a win to show the world how to beat this disgusting side. Italy were the champions we deserved but not the one we need right now. That's next year.

Great tournament. Very exciting. If Brazil can get the rest of its act together socially, next year should be amazing.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #237 on: June 30, 2013, 07:00:59 PM »

Tahiti was the real winner this year.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #238 on: June 30, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »

So I guess Brazil won't win in 2014 if the history of these things is any indicator.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #239 on: June 30, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »

So I guess Brazil won't win in 2014 if the history of these things is any indicator.

Correct. That's why this result is such a win-win!
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #240 on: June 30, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »

We'll see, we'll see.
Anyway, it was a very nice game for yellow Argentina.

Back to serious talk: the game was won when everyone gave a crap to the ing FIFA national anthem disfiguring and kept singing the verse 'till its end.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #241 on: July 01, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »

Yeah, I wonder what they'll do for timing when the World Cup comes around. 2002 was brutal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cup_2014

So the final will be on at a reasonable(ish) time over here, 9pm.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »

Yeah, I wonder what they'll do for timing when the World Cup comes around. 2002 was brutal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cup_2014

So the final will be on at a reasonable(ish) time over here, 9pm.

You love doing this when I'm too lazy to look up the Wiki page myself. Tongue

I'm surprised they're having kickoff that early. I like night games so I was hoping a 4 or 5 o'clock kickoff. Having you guys stay up until 12 or 1 AM for the Final isn't too bad. Tongue
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #243 on: July 01, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »

Sunday games at 16:00 is the norm. I found really odd this final was scheduled to 19:00. That's unusual for weekends. At least, no game will be played at the usual 21:00 on weekdays, and only a few will be at 19:00.
Anyway, UTC -3 shouldn't be that bad for Europeans - just 1h ahead South Africa. Don't be spoiled folks!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #244 on: July 02, 2013, 01:05:51 AM »

Sunday games at 16:00 is the norm. I found really odd this final was scheduled to 19:00. That's unusual for weekends. At least, no game will be played at the usual 21:00 on weekdays, and only a few will be at 19:00.
Anyway, UTC -3 shouldn't be that bad for Europeans - just 1h ahead South Africa. Don't be spoiled folks!

IMO, the games should start between 7pm and 9pm here during the Brazil WC.

Which means 2pm to 4pm in Brazil.

Only a tiny fraction would stay up until midnight or 1am to watch WC games ...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #245 on: July 02, 2013, 01:44:14 AM »

I find this hard to believe. The 2002 World Cup Final was at 4 AM here on the West Coast, but my family and I woke up to watch it, as did dozens of other people I knew, even though soccer is obviously not very popular here. That the vast people in a country where soccer is the most important sport would refuse to stay awake until midnight to watch World Cup matches strikes me as preposterous.

In North America, it is common for people in the east to stay up past midnight watching sports; most sporting events in the west start at 7:00 local time, which is 10:00 in the east, meaning that it is generally around 1 AM in the east by the time the game ends. When I am at school on the East Coast, I watch baseball until around 1 AM almost every night.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2013, 02:47:04 AM »

What was that???
O.k., Spain is tired after 120 minutes against Italy. But I never expected Brazil to play so physical, so European. First a goal in Gerd Müller style, and then Neymar paying tribute to Wayne Rooney...

Brazil is playing in that physical and European style since years ago. It's no surprising at all. The extraordinary thing is how they performed that style on Sunday. Really spectacular (congrats for Brazilians on here, btw), probably the best Brazil's performance in years. I think the classical Brazilian style lasted until the 80s with players like Socrates or Zico. Spain was a disaster. Aside from the weariness, I believe that there were some tactical mistakes (strange, coming from Del Bosque) and an excess of confidence. Luckily, we won the European final in Women's basketball against France (80-79), but newspapers gave more space to Spain's crushing defeat at Maracaná. Some Madrid's newspapers didn't cover the basketball game in their front pages.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #247 on: July 02, 2013, 02:57:32 AM »

I find this hard to believe. The 2002 World Cup Final was at 4 AM here on the West Coast, but my family and I woke up to watch it, as did dozens of other people I knew, even though soccer is obviously not very popular here. That the vast people in a country where soccer is the most important sport would refuse to stay awake until midnight to watch World Cup matches strikes me as preposterous.

In North America, it is common for people in the east to stay up past midnight watching sports; most sporting events in the west start at 7:00 local time, which is 10:00 in the east, meaning that it is generally around 1 AM in the east by the time the game ends. When I am at school on the East Coast, I watch baseball until around 1 AM almost every night.

Really ?

I know not many people here who stay up past midnight to watch sports here ...

Must be more popular in the US I think.

If we take a look at the ORF TV ratings from Sunday, then the Confed Cup final which went from Midnight to 2am was only watched by an average of 120.000 people, compared with the 1 million watchers of the evening news at 7pm to 8pm.

Even the Formula One GP in Silverstone had 500.000 watchers at 3pm.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #248 on: July 02, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »

In Germany, the final was watched by some 2 million people, which is quite a lot considering the timing.
I don't think staying up until midnight is much of an issue here. A Champions League match with ET and penalty shoot-out will not finish much before midnight. Even a standard CL/EL group stage transmission will, after the live match, have reports on other interesting games and run until midnight. And, IIRC, the 2002 WC in Japan and South Korea had pretty weird transmission times for Europeans, which did not keep myself or most other people I know from watching.

Of course, it is making a difference whether your country has a team in the competition or not (and Austria is often occasionally on the 'not' side ..)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #249 on: July 02, 2013, 08:49:19 AM »

In Germany, the final was watched by some 2 million people, which is quite a lot considering the timing.
I don't think staying up until midnight is much of an issue here. A Champions League match with ET and penalty shoot-out will not finish much before midnight. Even a standard CL/EL group stage transmission will, after the live match, have reports on other interesting games and run until midnight. And, IIRC, the 2002 WC in Japan and South Korea had pretty weird transmission times for Europeans, which did not keep myself or most other people I know from watching.

Of course, it is making a difference whether your country has a team in the competition or not (and Austria is often occasionally on the 'not' side ..)

Yeah, maybe we are not as football crazy as you Germans ... Tongue

Maybe it has just to do with different sports and the affection for it.

I remember that during the Winter Games in Nagano 1998, an incredible amount of people here watched the Alpine Skiing events at 4am (when Hermann Maier had his famous take-off) ...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies