FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:59:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FIFA Confederations Cup 2013 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 10098 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: June 04, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »

Why does the OFC still exist?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 04:15:47 PM »

If that really happened, they'd definitely give it to somewhere in the Americas. (Remember 1986?)

Of course. I think they'd aim to take the games out of South America and with Mexico surely not in the running, I don't see how they'd go to any country other than the U.S. Brazil would still have to be allowed to qualify automatically but would that mean the new hosts automatically get in? I'd point to the 1986 example but I'm pretty sure te tournament wasn't moved just a year in advance.

Argentina is a country that comes to mind as an option, but I assume they don't have the infrastructure to make it happen. It would certainly be adding insult to Brazil's injury to move it there.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:44:14 AM »

Only a tiny fraction would stay up until midnight or 1am to watch WC games ...

I find this hard to believe. The 2002 World Cup Final was at 4 AM here on the West Coast, but my family and I woke up to watch it, as did dozens of other people I knew, even though soccer is obviously not very popular here. That the vast people in a country where soccer is the most important sport would refuse to stay awake until midnight to watch World Cup matches strikes me as preposterous.

In North America, it is common for people in the east to stay up past midnight watching sports; most sporting events in the west start at 7:00 local time, which is 10:00 in the east, meaning that it is generally around 1 AM in the east by the time the game ends. When I am at school on the East Coast, I watch baseball until around 1 AM almost every night.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »

Don't they frequently play La Liga games around midnight? I remember watching Clasicos last year at like 5pm eastern time, which is like 11 at night, right? Maybe Spain is just weird like that.

Nobody in Spain goes to bed until two in the morning anyway, so it's convenient.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies