Do "nice guys finish last"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:26:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do "nice guys finish last"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do "nice guys finish last"?  (Read 9387 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: June 05, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »

People are only 'nice' due to real disadvantages - typically class origin disadvantages and genetic disadvantages.  So, you can't really blame the niceness for losing - it is not a causative factors but merely a symptom of being subjected.

Conversely, women don't necessarily actually prefer an 'asshole' in some way purely focused on the rudeness - no, this is just a valuable and uselful shorthand signifyer for 'rich and/or genetically superior'. 

This leaves us the interesting possiblity that the poor man (or ugly man) could, by utilizing this behavior shorthand for privilege, gain at least temporarily the advantages! 

Have any of you impecunious and humpbacked losers ever pulled off this pretense successfully?  I must confess I have never even tried such a daring con!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »

Smug jocks and academic puritans. This is like... the best of both worlds up in here. Purple heart

Yes, pretty ugly stuff Hagrid, I agree.  I'd like to guillotine them all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:34:44 PM »

Have any of you impecunious and humpbacked losers ever pulled off this pretense successfully?

If you ask Atlas any question in the form of "Have any of you ever [something related to girls]?" the answer is always going to be no. Especially if you add the qualifier "successfully" at the end.

Well you're quite right, there's no doubt I'm asking the wrong group, but I'm just curious in general if such subterfuges can work 'in life'.  I guess the obvious answer is - pretty damned rarely, if at all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »

This works all the time in real life, Opebo. Just not ever with the kind of girls you'd like it to work on.

I'm assuming you mean 'the kind of girls that one would like it to work on', rather than just referring to my preference.  So upon what kind of girls does it work?  The gullible only??
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:51:15 AM »

But yeah... our economic system is set up so that sociopaths do well.. and both political parties (but especially the GOP) praise and laud sociopathy as a desirable trait to "get ahead".  It's very sad, really.

Only on atlas do people blame the GOP for "nice guys finishing last".

Well really he was blaming capitalism, which is of course fairly accurate.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »

Well you're quite right, there's no doubt I'm asking the wrong group, but I'm just curious in general if such subterfuges can work 'in life'.  I guess the obvious answer is - pretty damned rarely, if at all.

Isn't that what "pickup artists" or whatever they call themselves do?

I suppose so. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »

Has Naso ever told the story of his first encounter or described the individual that he lost his virginity to? One word I have for the entire situation as I know it: yikes.

Transvestite?  Old lady?  A fellow ginger?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:42 PM »

Posting this here because relevance

You know very well that this is strawmanning, Bacon.  In fact the point is that 'niceness' is unattractive to women, and the converse is attractive.  This has nothing to do with anyone 'expecting something for being nice'.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies