Office of the Liberal Party (New Chair) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:30:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of the Liberal Party (New Chair) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of the Liberal Party (New Chair)  (Read 5418 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 05, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
« edited: July 18, 2013, 08:54:31 PM by DemPGH, V.P. »

Liberal Party Convention
Miami, FL

Well, I feel like being in Key Largo, so here we go. And I like to run on the beach. I'm opening this after a couple requests and a couple questions as to whether or not I would be interested in being chair. I don't have to be chair, and I want people to keep in mind that I have A.G. duties and I am running for V.P. But I enjoy the game and I want it to flourish, so I will do what I can. Wink

We need to do the following, and quickly:

1) Select a chair.
Superique and I have declared interest.
I have PM'd Kalwejt and Napoleon about their interest in being chair as well.

2) select a vice chair; in other words, have a core group.

3) Decide on endorsements. This is required because we're a major party, so we have to do this.

That can be done with relative ease. Then we need to,

4) Update the platform / discuss the party's future. We have 30+ people, so it should not be hard. Once we take care of those things and get the train moving, we can discuss other less relevant issues.

Like protecting the environment, the coastal areas, coral reefs, protecting privacy, protecting unions, social liberties, and many other things. I know, hardly "less relevant." Smiley

So,
Superique and DemPGH have declared interest for chair. Last call: anyone else?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »

I was hoping for more than a handful including myself to check in, so if we call it quorum, sure, we can vote. If anyone else wants to check in, they can do so as far as I'm concerned with their vote.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2013, 10:17:12 AM by DemPGH, Atty. Gen. »

Okay, I checked the bylaws again and while I do not see any definition of quorum, I do see that 1/4 of the members of the party are required to do other things. So we're very near that threshold plus another 1 or 2. So I guess we'll vote on two things given the circumstances here: Party Chair and President / Vice President endorsement. I really think we should have at least 1/4 of the party vote, which would be about 9 votes.

I'll say 72 hours.

Let me know if anything is wrong here, but I've checked it.

Party Chair:

[  ] DemPGH
[  ] Superique

Presidential / Vice Presidential endorsement:

[  ] Averroës Nix (Labor-NY) and DemPGH (Liberal-PA)
[  ] Matt from VT (Federalist-NY) and Maxwell (Federalist-KS)
[  ] Xahar (NMAM-CA) and Hashemite (NMAM-FL)
[  ] NOTA / Neutrality

Other: If there is someone you want to endorse, just endorse them. The first order of business is to get some semblance of a hierarchy in place around here.

[  ] TNF
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »

Although I am at least hoping for modest Liberal support, and I always probably idealistically hope that Liberal and Labor will support one another when one of them does not have someone headlining a ticket (i.e., Liberal), I still should have included a NOTA option - I just did not think of it. I know Nix would love to field Liberal concerns and to work with them, but if people want to declare neutrality, then that is their choice. It's certainly not my choice, and it still would not be mine were I not on the ticket.

Party Chair:

[ X ] DemPGH
[  ] Superique

Presidential / Vice Presidential endorsement:

[ 1 ] Averroës Nix (Labor-NY) and DemPGH (Liberal-PA)
[  ] Matt from VT (Federalist-NY) and Maxwell (Federalist-KS)
[  ] Xahar (NMAM-CA) and Hashemite (NMAM-FL)
[  ] NOTA / Neutrality
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:25:01 AM »

Okay, about 24 hours to go or so before the initial 72 are up, and by my count we have seven voters. If we can get two more that is 1/4 of the party.

If we can wrap this up, Senate endorsements would be next followed by selecting a vice chair if any are interested. If Superique is chair he'll proceed as he sees fit, but that is how I will proceed (Senate endorsements next followed by V.C.). Just take things one at a time until the ball is rolling. Smiley
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 06:35:52 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2013, 09:48:34 AM by DemPGH, Atty. Gen. »

After 72+ hours, I have the following counts:

Party Chair: 4-3 (DemPGH-Superique)
Pres. Endorse: 3-3-1 (Nix-NOTA-Matt)

The Presidential endorsement is a tie between Nix and remaining neutral. I would like to encourage Liberals, however, to vote for Nix on the grounds that I believe as a candidate he comes closest to representing what the party stands for. I am tempted, though, to send this to "overtime."

There are two more orders of business: 1) Senate elections and 2) Vice Chair. Superique, Windjammer, or others, would you like to be vice chair? If Superique wants it, he's got it by nature of him coming in second.

Senate endorsements: Select one from the following:

NORTHEAST SENATE

[  ] Scott (Light-NH)
[  ] Poirot (Independent-NY)

MIDEAST SENATE

[  ] Siren (Light-VA)
[  ] Talleyrand (Labor-MO)
[  ] Bmotley (Federalist-IN)
[  ] JCL (Independent-IN)
[  ] TJ  in Cleve (Federalist-OH)

MIDWEST SENATE

[  ] TNF (Labor-WY)
[  ] Maxwell (Federalist-KS)

IDS SENATE

[  ] Hashemite (NMAM-FL)
[  ] NCYankee (Federalist-NC)

PACIFIC SENATE

[  ] Sbane (Liberal-CA)
[  ] Politics Junkie (Labor-OR)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »

Okay, and thanks to those of you participating here. I sent a few PMs to see if I can drag a few more in here, but I will call this thing with what we've got on Thurs. evening before the polls open.

Superique, sounds good. I'll be happy to share responsibility with you, so we'll stay in touch.

JCL, noted - I changed it above. I had just copied and pasted the ballot from another thread.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2013, 09:26:23 AM by DemPGH, Atty. Gen. »

Folks, I'm a little preoccupied with a court case that's coming, but nonetheless I wanted to get this in. I'll call it this evening with whatever we've got after dinner and after I've consumed my share of Merlot, probably, or maybe if it's warm today a Chardonnay, we'll see. But that'll be around 8:00 p.m. Eastern or so and before the polls open.

As far as the Mideast goes, I'm sorry, I would eagerly support either Talleyrand or Siren. And Yankee has just proven himself to me to be a hell of a PPT, so that's on merit and seriousness. Edit: And his devil emoticon!

Senate endorsements: Select one from the following:

NORTHEAST SENATE

[ X ] Scott (Light-NH)
[  ] Poirot (Independent-NY)

MIDEAST SENATE

[  ] Siren (Light-VA)
[  ] Talleyrand (Labor-MO)
[  ] Bmotley (Federalist-IN)
[  ] JCL (Independent-IN)
[  ] TJ  in Cleve (Federalist-OH)

MIDWEST SENATE

[ X ] TNF (Labor-WY)
[  ] Maxwell (Federalist-KS)

IDS SENATE

[  ] Hashemite (NMAM-FL)
[ X ] NCYankee (Federalist-NC)

PACIFIC SENATE

[ X ] Sbane (Liberal-CA)
[  ] Politics Junkie (Labor-OR)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 09:03:54 PM »

Endorsements: Out of seven voters who participated:

Scott wins endorsement 7-0

Siren wins endorsement 6-0

TNF wins endorsement 4-3

NCYankee wins endorsement 5-0

Sbane wins endorsement 7-0

Now, there is a court case going on and of course we have an election this weekend, so let's wait for the dust to settle a few days and then we'll commence with discussion about the platform. We can make changes, not make changes, but we can certainly look at it. But let's hang back for a few days right at the moment.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »

Revoking an endorsement for these reasons at this time seems out of reach. I supported TNF because of his platforms with which I broadly agreed. This issue should have been brought to the forefront earlier, IMO.

The National Movement is just trying to stir up the pot, so to speak.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2013, 09:52:32 AM by DemPGH, Atty. Gen. »

That's a good idea, Windjammer. I first want to start with an announcement: at some point I'll be closing the convention part and calling this thread the Office of the Liberal Party.

As to the Pacific, it's time for me to explain myself because yesterday I got several PMs concerning my personal thoughts on several issues: The NM, the Pacific, and related topics.

First, I am not interested in the Labor / Liberal grudge or gap or whatever you want to call it. Not interested. It might make the place more interesting to have it, but in Captain Picard fashion I would rather bridge the wedge than drive it deeper. The lawsuit I filed is because of rule of law; the "Final Constitution" violates the federal Constitution quite obviously as well as resulted from deception in order to permanently gridlock a region, and if Napoleon's case works out it may even be that the Fourth Constitution that set up this mess may not have even been enacted properly. We'll see.

I have no issues with consolidating regions, especially where inactivity is a concern, and I support Nix on his call to examine the problem. That action, though, must be done legally by the Senate and through an amendment, not a farce of a vote at one o'clock in the morning by three people which produced an unconstitutional document.

Edit: Closing the poll due to lack of interest.

I think an endorsement should require 2/3 or something more than a bare majority.  If the party is closely divided over who to endorse in a race, we shouldn't be endorsing anyone.

Well, that would be an item to be placed on the bylaws / platform agenda.  
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »

That poll certainly begs the question, as it implies that the abolition of the Pacific government was somehow illegitimate when in fact nobody has yet even made an argument demonstrating that.

You'll hear it if / when the court accepts the case(s). Until then I'm not tipping my hand. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 04:13:20 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2013, 09:25:19 PM by DemPGH, Atty. Gen. »

Ever my thanks to the Liberals who have assisted Nix and me with your vote! Trust me when I say that should this thing work out in our favor we will not forget you, nor the poor and disenfranchised - about whom this campaign is foremost concerned. You know I stand for a united left always, as does Nix, even though we may have numerous leftist parties, as we should. Nix has run a hell of an effort here, and it's been a pleasure to offer my input to the campaign. So let's keep it going!

"You'll always be my heroes," Buddy Ryan said to his defense before Super Bowl XX. Wink

"Forty men together can't lose!" claimed George Allen.  
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 08:45:04 AM »

Well, after yesterday we have exhausted our compliment of torpedoes, phaser banks are down to 12%, and we're diverting from non-essential systems, but nonetheless a big thanks to all of you! I am quite pleased with the Liberal support we mustered although sad to lose a few key votes. Nevertheless the party has friends in Nix and me!

I want to congratulate all the winners starting with my region, the Northeast, and particularly Scott and SirNick, two great guys whose services Atlasia can be proud to have. I am sorry elsewhere that I cannot congratulate Siren or Talleyrand, but maybe next time!

In the coming week we can discuss pertinent matters at hand. Smiley

Congratulations, Mr. VP! As a solid ally of the Labor Party, I wish you the best of luck in the coming weeks and months. Atlasia picked the right guys for the job at-hand and the Liberal Party (surprisingly) did the same in selecting you as their Chair. Smiley

And I thank you kindly! It could not have been possible without your sterling operation and all the help, so as I see it the cooperation we saw yesterday is the way forward!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »

Yeah, I think to a degree we're going to have to put up with some of this. We have a small core group here, but the challenges we're facing I think are twofold: we're the most diverse of the parties in the game and to really get participation we would have to drag people in here by their feet.

I suppose we should at least plan for a Fall convention. Any cities or areas of the country that anyone find particularly appealing? I'll accept nominations, and then we can move to the platform and discuss any changes anyone wants to make. On the first matter, I'll nominate Seattle.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »

Okay. I see everyone else doing this, so we may as well. Three good choices depending upon what strikes your fancy.

I give five days:

[  ] Albuquerque, NM
[  ] Atlanta, GA
[  ] Seattle, WA
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »

My apologies, I hadn't realized he had rejoined the party. Either way, the Liberals only have one representative on the Progressive Caucus board, so you'll need to decide if you want it to be Kal or DemPGH or someone else entirely.

Oh, I thought we had two reps. I sent a couple PMs in error, then. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'll keep my seat for now, but if I vacate it I have someone lined up.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2013, 08:31:30 AM by DemPGH, A.G., V.P.-elect »

I vote Seattle too and since I'll have limited activity today and will be out this afternoon / evening, I'll go ahead and call it for Seattle, although we had a couple of good choices here! Albuquerque was tempting - again, a city situated amidst a lot of natural beauty.

Our party has one rep on the progressive caucus board, which is still occupied by me, but in the event that I step down, and I would like to start involving other people in things, I have someone lined up to take my seat.

Superique and Windjammer are good folks to represent the more conservative wing of our party whereas I and maybe Napoleon, or someone, could represent the more progressive, hopefully, wing. Which is good, it'll get more people involved I hope and maybe we can build the energy level of this thing back up.

Going forward we want to think about the platform, so in the not-too-distant future I'll have some thoughts on that.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »

I've always thought that there needs to be a balance between private enterprise and government - government ownership of business / over-regulation will not work, obviously; however, little regulation will turn the system into shark pool mentality, and then what results is wealth disparity with no way out, because the rich feed the rich and everyone else becomes a peasant - kind of like a feudal system almost. So we need that balance although I am quite pro-union.

A few of my ideas:

-Maintain the current 32-hour workweek
-No indefinite replacement of workers by "scabs"
-Support guaranteed sick leave and maternity leave
-We need an environmental plank that considers coastal areas
-Global warming is real and caused by human activity to a degree
-pro-science, embrace STEM
-Pro-gay, pro-choice on abortion

I also think that broadly and generally religious groups and employers should not get religious exemptions for items that might offend them. Or at least that that kind of thing should be very, very limited. And I do not think that churches should be tax-exempt. Not sure how big these things are in Atlasia, this might be more a real world thing. Smiley
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »

Folks, it's my sincerest hope that this party can flourish. Right now I simply cannot do it justice. I have been a reasonably active V.P. and I've certainly been an active A.G., so it just isn't fair to me to try to run this, nor to others who might want a feather in their cap by reviving this thing. Short of bribery, it seems rather difficult to revive.

The Liberal party can be chair-less or have ad hoc chairs, which is what Clinton and I were.

So I am stepping down as chair effective now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies