Rules
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:40:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Rules
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rules  (Read 12381 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:33:18 PM »

A notice- As the moderator of this section, I do not like to heavily moderate or enforce a large number of rules. Look around the board to see what kinds of topics get posted, use some common sense, and you'll have a good idea of what belongs on here and the level of discourse that we generally have. Trolling, sock accounts, personal attacks, excessive vulgarity, discrimination/hatefulness, and copyright violations are examples of violations of the rules.

To some extent, all of these things are necessarily subjective. However, for instance, starting a new topic that seems to be focused on general name calling against a broad swath of people with little to no substance in it will be considered trolling. If there is a matter that isn't being dealt with swiftly enough, please PM me about it. I will try to get to it, although I am not necessarily online every single day. Thanks! Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 09:03:28 AM »

I'm intending to largely adhere to the rules originally instituted by a disgraced removed moderator Beet. I'll just add a word about copyright issues.

A word about proper attributing.

Sometime ago I've simplified the rules of attribution for the what-ifs sake, while trying to satisfy the requirements set by Dave. Here's how it works:

Not all Wikimedia Commons images can be used simply by providing a link.

For example this file:

Can only be used if you credit the author.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en

It, therefore, should look like this:

Source: Wikimedia Commons. Author: Richard David Ramsey

If there's a clear public domain in play, as with this image:

You simply need to write "public domain" or "PD" in description:

Wikimedia Commons (PD)

The same rule apply to non-commons images. Unless said image is either public domain, or free for use with crediting the author, it'll be considered a violation and dealt with pronto.

Here's an example for non-commons PD image:

Proper attribution:

Florida Memory (PD)

I'll not be checking unsourced/improperly attributed pictures. These will be removed.

One more important note: you have to provide a link to a page from where you took the photo, not an image link.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 11:57:40 AM »

Incidentally, for a picture on the WIkimedia Commons, if you click on the "Use this file on the web" link, you'll be able to get some BBCode you can simply copy and paste, like so:

John Bel Edwards
Richard David Ramsey [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

TRUMAN 58-766-06
National Archives and Records Administration. Office of Presidential Libraries. Harry S. Truman Library. [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

It's attribution is a bit more verbose than Kal's minimum standard, but it'll certainly do and requires very little effort since you only need to copy and paste.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 02:17:47 PM »

I think I ought to make one thing clear. Necrobumping is considered against the rules, so rather than bumping an old thread (especially a really old one), please make a fresh topic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies