A-Bob Research Center: Secret Ballot Proposal (Mideast)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:26:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A-Bob Research Center: Secret Ballot Proposal (Mideast)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you generally support efforts to introduce a secret ballot in regional votes and elections?
Yes

No

Undecided

Not a Mideasterner

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: A-Bob Research Center: Secret Ballot Proposal (Mideast)  (Read 2651 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »

In light of a concrete proposal that is being debated in the Mideast Assembly A-Bob Research Center has decided to conduct a poll among Mideasterners.

This is a poll for Mideasterners and runs for four days.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 10:25:52 AM »

What a terribad proposal. I encourage all Mideasterners to vote against this.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »

It'd be fantastic if we could figure out a way to make secret balloting work, but this proposal seems to place an awful lot of trust and responsibility in the hands of the voting booth administrator. If I were a Mideasterner I'd be undecided.

Yeah, secret ballot was always something we discussed back in the RPP/JCP days, when people talked about voter intimidation from others. Ultimately, we couldn't decide who we trusted enough to administer those elections, because literally you are putting someone in the position of as God of Atlasia.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »

I think the administrator should come from outside the region.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:41:57 AM »

It'd be fantastic if we could figure out a way to make secret balloting work, but this proposal seems to place an awful lot of trust and responsibility in the hands of the voting booth administrator. If I were a Mideasterner I'd be undecided.

Yeah, secret ballot was always something we discussed back in the RPP/JCP days, when people talked about voter intimidation from others. Ultimately, we couldn't decide who we trusted enough to administer those elections, because literally you are putting someone in the position of as God of Atlasia.

…which is why we have the deputy administrator, who has to be from a different party than the administrator (and the specific implementation makes it extremely unlikely that this will be a Laborite and a Liberal or something like that) and can neither be running for nor actually holding office. I think it's quite safe enough.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »

A secret ballot is neither desirable nor feasible.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 02:49:36 PM »

I'm not exactly sure a secret ballot is possible in a game like this.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »

I'm not exactly sure a secret ballot is possible in a game like this.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:25:36 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 11:12:51 PM »

the legislation has a mechanism that could.  have a look at it, and see what you think.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »

I think the administrator should come from outside the region.

And then we'd have no way to prosecute him/her if he were to do something wrong.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »

I definitely oppose this.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »

I'd definitely support this, if say 3 people all from different parties, handled the votes.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 03:36:23 PM »

One more day for this poll!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »

I voted yes, but I don't know how we would make a secret ballot work.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »

So what were people's reasons for voting against this?  What can the Assembly do to make a better bill that y'all would support?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »

I'm definitely not voting for anything which doesn't leave any paper trail at all and gives responsibility for counting votes to just 2 people, who could easily fabricate results. The current system works fine, and doesn't stifle turnout. I don't see any reason for implementing this system aside from a power grab, which you basically admitted to earlier.

Why is a secret ballot necessary or desirable?

Apparently a Person wants a permanent Federalist majority. Grin

It's quite evident to me that this move would not have been undertaken by a Federalist Assembly had both hypothetical election administrators would have been from, say, the Labor Party and NM-AM.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »

My post was a joke.  Had I known that people would've actually taken that serious, I wouldn't have posted it.  (I thought the smiley made that pretty clear...).

Please explain to me how 2 people, from different parties, could "easily fabricate results".  If it would make people more comfortable, I would be willing to add on a second DVBA so that we had 3 people counting the ballots, but again, I'm unclear how it would be easy to fabricate results.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 01:10:28 PM »

My post was a joke.  Had I known that people would've actually taken that serious, I wouldn't have posted it.  (I thought the smiley made that pretty clear...).

Please explain to me how 2 people, from different parties, could "easily fabricate results".  If it would make people more comfortable, I would be willing to add on a second DVBA so that we had 3 people counting the ballots, but again, I'm unclear how it would be easy to fabricate results.

Roll Eyes

Because there's no paper trail. I could just PM the other administrator and offer his party one position (say the governorship) in exchange for positions for my party (say 2 Assembly seats). All this could happen privately through PM w/o anyone ever hearing about it or second guessing the results. We wouldn't be able to verify anything unless we somehow got every voter to produce a copy of their vote from their outbox, which would defeat the purpose of "secret ballots" (assuming everyone actually saved a copy in their messages, which is nigh impossible).

I see no point to this besides to make voting harder. The current public system leaves a distinct paper trail and is much less prone to silly ambiguities and the whims of one or two people. You know perfectly well how this system could be manipulated, so no need to play dumb.

Why do we need a secret ballot anyway? So people can vote against others without fear of retribution or something? What if that person IS the election administrator? This is an internet game, not a pivotal real world election where privacy actually matters in things like this.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »

Yes, the system could be manipulated.  I'm well aware of that.  But I don't see how it could be "easily" manipulated.  In order for the manipulation to occur, one person would have to take a leap of faith and assume that the other VBA wouldn't tell someone about it.  I just don't see people as being remotely likely to take that risk.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 01:49:28 PM »

So what were people's reasons for voting against this?  What can the Assembly do to make a better bill that y'all would support?

Honestly, nothing.  This seems like an unnecessary and generally awful bill, IMO.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »

The last thing this proposal was supposed to be was a Federalist power grab or anything like that. Wink
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »

Honestly, nothing.  This seems like an unnecessary and generally awful bill, IMO.

Why?  What specifically is wrong with it?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 03:22:31 PM »

What specifically is wrong with our current system? You've admitted that the potential for manipulation exists with this bill in a way that it does not with the current system, so why are we changing it? This is most certainly a Federalist power-grab, and your weak attempts to defend this bill have only proven as much.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »

What specifically is wrong with our current system? You've admitted that the potential for manipulation exists with this bill in a way that it does not with the current system, so why are we changing it? This is most certainly a Federalist power-grab, and your weak attempts to defend this bill have only proven as much.

A Federalist power grab? The bill was a Person's idea ...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies