Can someone make a Missouri map of McCaskill% minus Obama% 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:35:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Can someone make a Missouri map of McCaskill% minus Obama% 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can someone make a Missouri map of McCaskill% minus Obama% 2012?  (Read 1291 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:31 AM »

And if it's already been made, can someone post it again?

I feel like this would be very interesting as Akin still won white men by 15 points.  It was a white women generated landslide loss.

I think it would show the effects on Republican counties if Democrats were to make inroads with white women (which Romney won 56-43).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »

Other than St. Louis County, St. Louis City and Jackson County, she did better by at least 22 points; that kinda skewed the color scale intervals, but you get the idea.

Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »

If the white women and white men of Missouri were segregated from each other to such a degree that a gender gap in voting showed up on a county map, it would be no wonder the state had weird pregnancy politics.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2013, 04:21:10 PM by King »

Thanks.

If the white women and white men of Missouri were segregated from each other to such a degree that a gender gap in voting showed up on a county map, it would be no wonder the state had weird pregnancy politics.

I was curious if the shifts were all uniform or if there was more concetration in suburban parts of the state or rural.  It appears a mostly uniform swing, but in some rural areas (northern MO) it was actually greater.  Law of diminishing returns probably, but still...

There's a similar gender gap between white men and white women in the New York and New England states:

New York

Connecticut

and Massachusetts

But it didn't show up anywhere else in the nation... until outlandlishly pro-life Todd Akin managed to pull it off in Missouri.

Republicans have a minorities problem, but there's clearly room to grow among white women on the Democratic side.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:25:13 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2013, 09:34:53 PM by The Head Beagle »

To be a bit more serious than my last post, even if the statewide gap has a major gender component, there's no obvious reason why the internal geographic distribution of the gender gap should mimic the geographic distribution of the gap between the offices. The geographic variation within a gender is distinct from the variation between candidates for two offices. It's possible that in those northern counties the men voted the same way as in the south and the women swung particularly to McCaskill. But it could be the other way around: maybe the northern and southern women voted the same as each other, but in the north the men joined them more in supporting McCaskill. In the latter case the gender gap would be concentrated in areas with a smaller Obama/McCaskill gap. There's no way from the map to tell which is closer to the truth.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »

@ MilesC56: Is your map displaying the change in absolute percentages, or in two-candidate margins? I did some cross-checking on a randomly selected county (Nodaway in the North-West), where, according to this unofficial source,  McCaskill performed 17% better than Obama ..

In any case, I understand from the map that the Obama-McCaskill gap is primarily a rural white phenomenon, which seems logically, as (a) non-white voters should already have overwhelmingly voted Obama, leaving little potential for such a gap to appear, and (b) the major urban/suburban counties, i.e. St. Louis and Jackson, already went for Obama, which also limits the potential of additional McCaskill gains.

Now, let's take the Nodaway county example, on of the more populated counties in the North-West of the state (pop. 23.370). As per the 2010 census, it was 93.3% non-Latino white, 2.7% black, 1.5% Asian, 1.4% Latino, 1% other, and voted 35.3% Obama in 2012. I haven't done any detailed number crunching, but, assuming the usual gender gap, something like 32% white men and 38% white women in Nodaway voting for Obama looks plausible. If McCaskill had only benefitted from white female votes, her 52.2% would mean something like 72% among white women. Not completely unlikely, but pretty high.
Nodaway is traditionally leaning Democratic on the local & state level, and has since 1996 always voted some 8-20% more Democratic for Governor than for President.  In 2012, the gubernatorial gap was 15.5%, not quite as high as the 17% Obama-McCaskill gap, but also substantial. As such, in Nodaway county it seems to be less a case of Todd Akin having alienated white women (which he surely did, and which is why he underperformed compared to the gubernatorial election), but of national Democrats being unable to tap into an existing white rural voter reservoir that state-level Democrats manage to mobilise. Note that this inability is not Obama-specific, but already applied to Clinton, Gore and Kerry. In 2008, Obama did comparably well  (10% gap, same as for Gore), though his 2012 performance was rather towards the lower end.

Another observation - from a random check of a few of these North-western counties, they seem to have sizable German ancestry (25-30% of population) Not that this really surprises me - it fits into a pattern observed elsewhere, see e.g. this thread:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=169054.0

+++
In addition to Missouri, there have been two more Senate surprises in 2012, namely Indiana and North Dakota. Does anybody happen to have similar "US-Senate D minus Obama" maps for these states at hand?. It would be interesting to check whether they display patterns similar to Missouri.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »

@ MilesC56: Is your map displaying the change in absolute percentages, or in two-candidate margins? I did some cross-checking on a randomly selected county (Nodaway in the North-West), where, according to this unofficial source,  McCaskill performed 17% better than Obama ..

President: R+ 27
Senate: D+ 12

The gap is 39 points.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »

+++
In addition to Missouri, there have been two more Senate surprises in 2012, namely Indiana and North Dakota. Does anybody happen to have similar "US-Senate D minus Obama" maps for these states at hand?. It would be interesting to check whether they display patterns similar to Missouri.

I made this a while ago:

Feel free to check it Wink
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 01:27:52 PM »

+++

I made this a while ago:

It looks like the areas of lowest deviation are the Native reservations (which were already strongly Obama) and Williston- which I'm guessing was strongly R in the Senate race due to a large amount of voters being fossil fuel workers who recently moved there, i.e. less likely to bend D on farm issues, personality, etc.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »

I made this a while ago:

It looks like the areas of lowest deviation are the Native reservations (which were already strongly Obama) and Williston- which I'm guessing was strongly R in the Senate race due to a large amount of voters being fossil fuel workers who recently moved there, i.e. less likely to bend D on farm issues, personality, etc.

Yeah, there was less room for Hietkamp to improve in the counties near the eastern border and near the reservations.

There was likewise a huge increase in turnout in those western counties.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2013, 05:06:17 PM by Franknburger »

+++

I made this a while ago:

Oh, I trust you, now that I have understood how you come to your numbers Smiley. Thanks for the map!

If I see correctly, the biggest margin differentials (>30%) were in the following counties:
Logan (pop. 1.990, 68.5% German ancestry as per 2000 Census)
Emmons (pop. 3.559, 61.8% German ancestry)
Divide (pop. 2.071, 64,7% Norwegian, 24.0% German ancestry)
Pierce (pop. 4.357, 30.3% German, 28.4% Norwegian ancestry)
Sheridan (pop. 1.327, 66,1% German, 16.3% Norwegian)
Eddy (pop. 2385, 47.4% Norwegian, 40,7% German ancestry)

Now, it is pretty difficult to find a rural county in North Dakota that is not full of people with Norwegian and/or German ancestry (there are three of them, which all happen to be dominated by native Indian reservations). As such, we can only conclude that the President-Senate gap is (a) a white rural phenomenon, and (b) occurs across counties with strong German and/or Norwegian ancestry, but is neither necessarily caused  by, nor restricted to these ancestry groups.

Indiana, with its wider variation of ancestries, might be more telling in this respect, but I assume that if you, MilesC56, had a respective map available, you would already have posted it.  
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 11:45:11 PM »

The only county that Donnelly overperformed Obama by less than 10% was Lake, even there he did 9.92% better; for the sake of convenience I grouped Lakes in with the >10% counties so I didn't have to add an interval.

Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 02:52:54 PM »

The only county that Donnelly overperformed Obama by less than 10% was Lake, even there he did 9.92% better; for the sake of convenience I grouped Lakes in with the >10% counties so I didn't have to add an interval.

Thanks a lot! Pretty interesting and quite specific pattern:

First of all, there are the areas where Obama already had a relatively good showing, meaning there was less potential for Donnelly  gaining on top of him -Marion (Indianapolis), Vigo (Terre Haute). Tippercanoe (Lafayette), the southern Lake Michigan shore, and the Ohio valley. Donnelly's strong showing in his 'old' IN2 congressional district is also not too surprising.

However, different from Missouri and  North Dakota, the Senate-Presidential gap in Indiana appears to be more a suburban / exurban than a rural phenomenon. It was strongest in the Terre Haute periphery (Sullivan / Owen / Knox), and also above average around Lafayette, to the South-East of Indianapolis, around Muncie, and to the North-West of Evansville-[Evansville itself does not fully fit the pattern, probably because it is Richard Mourdoch's political home].

A few areas stand out, and deserve to be discussed in more detail (anybody here with local knowledge?):

First of all, there is Delaware County (Muncie): With some 70,000 city inhabitants (County 117,000), not small-town anymore, but also not the size of a city/ county you would have assumed to be won by Obama (50.3% in 2012). The county is 91% white.  Okay, Muncie is a college town, which changes things a bit. Nevertheless, one would at least assume that Obama already pretty much maxed out the Democratic vote potential, but Donnelly managed to take the county by 56.5%. Moreover, Donnelly also won several of the neighbouring counties such as Blackford (pop. 14,000), Madison (pop. 134,000 seat is Anderson), and Henry (pop. 48,500). Wayne (pop. 71,000) and Fayette (pop. 25,500), a bit further to the South-East, complete the list of Donnelly counties in the area.

Conversely, in Allen County, which houses Fort Wayne, Indiana's second largest city, and is 'only'  83% white, I would have expected Obama to do better than the 40.8% he received in 2012. And Donnelly? 45.3%, 'just' 4.5% more than Obama. In fact, the whole North-East of the State neither put much faith in Obama, nor in Donnelly.

What about ancestry? German Americans are found everywhere across the State (I hadn't realised so far how "German" Indiana is), but in varying shares. The least "German" part (10-20% German ancestry) is the Donnelly cluster around and to the South-East of Muncie (predominantly "American" ancestry), while in the Republican North East, German ancestry shares range between the mid-twenties and the low thirties. And there is another area with substantial German ancestry (around 35%) in the South-East towards Cincinnati that also went strongly for Romney, and where Donnelly only did marginally better than Obama. Issue closed? Well, definitely for the suburban part of the Senate-presidential gap phenomenon.

But there are also a few rural counties in Indiana that happen to have substantial Democratic base support and/or showed a strong Senate-Presidential gap. Aside from Perry county, that has already been discussed extensively elsewhere; neighbouring Dubois (54% German ancestry) and Spencer (33% German ancestry) fall into this category...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies