If there had been a 269/269 tie (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:34:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If there had been a 269/269 tie (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If there had been a 269/269 tie  (Read 3297 times)
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« on: June 21, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »

Minnesota was a 4-4 split though, I believe. My guess is that either someone would give in and break the tie (Romney would have well over 25 by that point so it wouldn't even matter), or it might even end with a stalemate and no vote being given. I'm shaky about the latter though.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 10:56:42 PM »

New Jersey and Nevada were also split. Both candidates would each get a vote. To my calculation would be 300 EV for Romney if the House were to vote on the presidency with two electoral votes being awarded for each state won.

In a house vote electoral votes do not matter. The election is decided by house delegation. So if Cynthia Lummis votes for Romney that's one vote, as it it one delegation. If the California representatives all vote for Obama that's is still one vote as it is also one delegation. Therefore is Minnesota, Nevada and New Jersey have split delegations their delegation could not vote, hence the problem stated by this thread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies