West Virginia Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:02:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  West Virginia Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: West Virginia Megathread  (Read 23047 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: July 15, 2013, 07:02:37 AM »

We're seeing these types of primary challenges in South Dakota too... why can't these practically perennial candidates realize that they're only causing trouble and just to let the strong candidates win? This is two cycles in a row we've blown opportunities, and even lost seats for the dumbest reasons. These no-compromise candidates need to learn that they either get a moderate Republican or a liberal Democrat in the Senate. It's not that hard.

There will not be a liberal Democrat freshman elected from WV anytime soon.  Whoever wins will either be moderate or conservative. 

On immigration they might as well be Chuck Schumer himself though.

Please, you guys, don't do this again.  We wasted too many opportunities at victory with unelectable candidates in 2010 and 2012, let's not do it again in 2014.  If we want to stop President Obama's agenda at all, we need establishment Republicans who can win.  By nominating these Tea Partiers, we're only handing seats to the Democrats and letting them keep pushing their agenda on us.

You people are missing the ball. It isn't as simple as Tea Party sucks, establishment Superb. If that is the case, then how are Senators Reherg, Thompson and Allen doing right now? Or Senators Crist, Sestak and Conway for that matter on former point?

It is all about candidate quality, message discipline and organization. Ideology really isn't a factor, at least not in a deep red state like the kind we are discussing. Miller, Akin, Buck and Mourdock would all be Senators right now if they were able to discipline their mouths. Buck was actually less Conservative then Norton on some issues in his primary.

Lets not be a herd, and lets not cover the incompetence of one side by endlessly harping on the that of the other. Focus on what matters in these races.

That said, Go Capito and Go Rounds!!!
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:09:03 AM »

We're seeing these types of primary challenges in South Dakota too... why can't these practically perennial candidates realize that they're only causing trouble and just to let the strong candidates win? This is two cycles in a row we've blown opportunities, and even lost seats for the dumbest reasons. These no-compromise candidates need to learn that they either get a moderate Republican or a liberal Democrat in the Senate. It's not that hard.

Perennial candidates are a problem. They are so for a reason and that is because they can't win the races they are running because they are just terrible candidates. But they keep running either to feed themselves off the campaign cash or hoping that somehow they get lucky. Christine O'Donnell, John Raese, Don Stenberg and Ovide LaMontagne are all in this category.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 06:12:42 AM »

FWIW, this was the swing in WV-03 between the 2010 and 2012 Congressional races.

The result in Lincoln County was exactly the same (to the hundredth of a decimal place); it must have been a statistical fluke.

Mason County was added after redistricting.

Rahall still managed to win Wyoming County despite it being 76% Romney. I wouldn't be surprised if thats some sort of a record.

I don't know if its good or bad that Rahall improved slightly in the area where Jenkins is from.

A record for the modern era more likely then of all time. Ticket splitting was more common back in the day.

I would assume the answer would differ based on whether Jenkins is loved or hated in that area.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 01:12:18 AM »

I'm an establishment conservative (and registered Republican) but I have an I-WV to protest certain Tea Party people in my party.

While I understand, I oftentimes find myself just as angered at the establishment as I am at the grassroots. Of course, I became political in 2005, when it was the excesses of establishement power and corruption that was destroying the Party so that is not surprising. 

Welcome to the Forum just the same. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2013, 01:21:23 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I'm an establishment conservative (and registered Republican) but I have an I-WV to protest certain Tea Party people in my party.

While I understand, I oftentimes find myself just as angered at the establishment as I am at the grassroots. Of course, I became political in 2005, when it was the excesses of establishement power and corruption that was destroying the Party so that is not surprising.  

Welcome to the Forum just the same. Smiley

Thank you Smiley and I get what you're saying. The establishment is far from perfect. I like figures from both sides of the party and dislike figures from both sides of the party.

Most definately. I generally sported a mixed bag of establishement and Tea Party candidates in both 2010 and 2012.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:46:21 AM »

National Journal on Capito. She cites Murkowski as a Senate role model and is running as a pragmatic problem solver.

I've said before, I'll be endorsing Tennant, but if WV is gonna elect an R, Capito is a good one.

What problems has she solved to be looked up to? Tongue

Anyway, I don't plan on holding this against Capito.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies