Bill Clinton as Hillary's VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:18:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bill Clinton as Hillary's VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bill Clinton as Hillary's VP?  (Read 1442 times)
quentincollin
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »

He's served the two term limit for President, but is he constitutionally able to serve as Vice President?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 02:42:05 PM »

Yes, the line of succession would simply bypass him and go to the Speaker of the House. But that creates a significant possibility of an unelected Republican president.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »

Yes, the line of succession would simply bypass him and go to the Speaker of the House.

No, I think he could become president again if he's VP and the president dies.  The 22nd Amendment says that he can't be *elected* president again, but nothing about whether he could become president through the line of succession.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 06:29:18 PM »

1. He's already served two terms as president and isn't eligible to run.

2. While it isn't constitutionally required that the candidate picks a running mate from a different state, only one of them can receive the electoral votes from their home state. Therefore, because New York is their home state, only Hillary Clinton would be able to receive their 29 EV. If Hillary Clinton were to win the election by less than 29 EV with her husband as her running mate, then the Republican running mate would be her Vice-President.

3. It would be a meltdown if the media focused on the two of them instead of the issues.

4. This would violate the 8th amendment of cruel and unusual punishment.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »

No, he's not eligible to run as president again, but I think he is eligible to run as VP...and then take over as president if something happened to the president.  See the discussion in this thread, on the "VP loophole":

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=75977.0
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 08:51:53 PM »

No, he's not eligible to run as president again, but I think he is eligible to run as VP...and then take over as president if something happened to the president.  See the discussion in this thread, on the "VP loophole":

We might have a conflict between the 12th and 22nd amendment. I know if a president takes over during part of their predecessor's term, then they may serve two full terms after completing their predecessor's term as long as their length of time in office doesn't exceed 10 years.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »

We might have a conflict between the 12th and 22nd amendment. I know if a president takes over during part of their predecessor's term, then they may serve two full terms after completing their predecessor's term as long as their length of time in office doesn't exceed 10 years.

I don't think it's a conflict.  It's something of a loophole in the way the 22nd Amendment is written:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing to stop a person who has been elected to two presidential terms from later being elected Vice President, and then acceding to the higher office upon the incumbent's 'early departure'.  By repeating this process, such a person could in effect serve many more than ten years as President...

The 22nd Amendment is all about the rules for being elected president.  It doesn't stop you from becoming and then serving as president via some other means.  For example, it doesn't prohibit a Bill Clinton or a George W. Bush, after having served as president for two terms, from being elected VP, and then becoming president via the early departure of the president they're serving with.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »

I don't think it's a conflict.  It's something of a loophole in the way the 22nd Amendment is written:

Quote from: Restricted

As far as I can tell, there is nothing to stop a person who has been elected to two presidential terms from later being elected Vice President, and then acceding to the higher office upon the incumbent's 'early departure'.  By repeating this process, such a person could in effect serve many more than ten years as President...

The 22nd Amendment is all about the rules for being elected president.  It doesn't stop you from becoming and then serving as president via some other means.  For example, it doesn't prohibit a Bill Clinton or a George W. Bush, after having served as president for two terms, from being elected VP, and then becoming president via the early departure of the president they're serving with.

It needs to be written more clear. There needs to be a limit of 8 years and not a day more. We can't afford to become a dictatorship. If only presidents could follow Washington's lead. However, I'd hope most presidents would find it embarrassing to run for an office after being president.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »

So theoretically, if Bill Clinton wanted to be president again he could get any old schmo to run for him. I could run for the Democratic nomination with Bill at my side 24/7, promising to choose Bill Clinton as my running mate and to resign immediately after swearing in. In effect, it would be treated as a Clinton campaign.

Obviously there'd be serious issues trusting that "any old schmo" would actually resign, but you get the idea.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »

So theoretically, if Bill Clinton wanted to be president again he could get any old schmo to run for him. I could run for the Democratic nomination with Bill at my side 24/7, promising to choose Bill Clinton as my running mate and to resign immediately after swearing in. In effect, it would be treated as a Clinton campaign.

Obviously there'd be serious issues trusting that "any old schmo" would actually resign, but you get the idea.

If only we could get George W. Bush and Dick Cheney back in there to see how much squirming would happen on the left. Chris Christie would run and win then resign. Next the new president chooses Bush as his Vice-President. After the new president resigns, Bush could choose Cheney to be Vice-President.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »

If only we could get George W. Bush and Dick Cheney back in there to see how much squirming would happen on the left. Chris Christie would run and win then resign. Next the new president chooses Bush as his Vice-President. After the new president resigns, Bush could choose Cheney to be Vice-President.

Ah yes, because the Democratic Senate would rush to confirm Bush and Cheney once nominated for VP! Foolproof plan dude!
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »

Ah yes, because the Democratic Senate would rush to confirm Bush and Cheney once nominated for VP! Foolproof plan dude!

We would have to wait for a Republican Senate. You're thinking too much into what I'm saying though.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 09:39:40 PM »

Guys, Bill Clinton couldn't be elected Vice President. See the very last sentence of the 12th Amendment:

Having served two full terms, he's constitutionally ineligible to be President, no?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:41:25 PM »

Guys, Bill Clinton couldn't be elected Vice President. See the very last sentence of the 12th Amendment:

Having served two full terms, he's constitutionally ineligible to be President, no?

This.

/thread
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 09:43:18 PM »

No, he's not ineligible to be president again.  He's ineligible to be elected president again.  The 22nd Amendment says that he can't be elected president again, but doesn't say that he can't serve as president again.  Taking the literal meaning of the words, he could become president via some other means, besides being elected to that office.....such as being elected VP, and then succeeding to the presidency upon the incumbent president's departure from office via death or resignation.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »

By ineligible it means someone must be at least 35, have lived here for 14 years, and be a natural born citizen.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »

However, if Hillary's VP resigned over halfway through his term, could she appoint Bill, resign herself, and then have Bill become president?

Technically you can serve less than two years of someone else's term, and 2 full terms, for a maximum of 10 years?  But can you do your incomplete term after your 2 full ones?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »

However, if Hillary's VP resigned over halfway through his term, could she appoint Bill, resign herself, and then have Bill become president?

Technically you can serve less than two years of someone else's term, and 2 full terms, for a maximum of 10 years?  But can you do your incomplete term after your 2 full ones?

I'm not sure, but I know it's never been done.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies