If Hillary's VP is Someone Who Demonstrated Loyalty To Her
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:41:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Hillary's VP is Someone Who Demonstrated Loyalty To Her
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Hillary's VP is Someone Who Demonstrated Loyalty To Her  (Read 865 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:00:16 AM »

From what I know about Hillary Clinton, she'll try to pick a running mate who she gets along with. And it'll probably be someone who backed her in 2008.

It fits the modus operandi for the Clintons. Prominent Democrats who stayed out of the 1992 presidential election were offered plum spots in the Clinton administration, including VP for Al Gore, Secretary of Commerce for Lloyd Bentsen and a Supreme Court spot for Mario Cuomo (who turned it down.) The people who ran against Bill Clinton got nothing. Bill Clinton has also campaigned for his wife's supporters in the 2010 and 2012 elections. A few of her top supporters in the 2008 primary were given roles in the State Department,

Picking someone she knows might work out well for her on the campaign. The Romney/ Ryan ticket seemed to get positive press, partly because of how well the two men on the ticket got along with one another. That served as a contrast with Kerry/ Edwards (who didn't like one another) and McCain/ Palin (who barely knew one another.)

This is a long way of asking who could populate a list of the people who backed Hillary in 2008 (or who remained neutral) who also have the plausible qualifications to be her running mate? I would also guess that she won't pick a woman, anyone from Arkansas or anyone from New York. And she won't want anyone who is too old, or who has burned bridges with the party (IE- Evan Bayh.)

That leaves, as I see it...

- Lieutenant Governor of California Gavin Newsom
A progressive favorite, who is familiar with media scrutiny, and who spent seven years as the executive of a city with a population that exceeds that of a handful of states. He also seems the perfect age for a Clinton running mate.

- (Possible) Governor of Virginia Terry McAulliffe
He's a terrific fundraiser, and he seems to have an even shot of being Governor of a key swing state. And he's been very friendly with the Clintons.

- (Possible) Governor of Maryland Anthony G Brown
Currently serving as the state's Lieutenant Governor, he's likely to have a fight with the state's Attorney General, who wants to make an issue of the fact that Brown backed Hillary in 2008. Brown may help with African-American turnout, and has an impressive background with pro-bono legal accomplishments and a solid military career.

Is there anyone else who fits?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:03:23 AM »

I remember when Evan Bayh was considered a very possible Hillary's running mate had she won in 2008 - pretty much in the "loyalty" category.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »

Clintons are strategists firsts. They will learn trust a young man they barely know who compliments her.  Booker, Castro, Bennet...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »

McAuliffe is borderline sociopathic. Not national material.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »

The Clintons have always stuck to their own kind. You can bet McAuliffe will be considered.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »

Currently serving as the state's Lieutenant Governor, he's likely to have a fight with the state's Attorney General, who wants to make an issue of the fact that Brown backed Hillary in 2008. Brown may help with African-American turnout, and has an impressive background with pro-bono legal accomplishments and a solid military career.

Any reason we are discounting Heather Mizeur?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »

I don't think it will be a woman simply because we've never had an all female ticket and a female president has a higher chance at happening first.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 08:50:57 PM »

I don't think it will be a woman simply because we've never had an all female ticket and a female president has a higher chance at happening first.

No. You should look at the bold. I meant Heather Mizeur for Governor of Maryland. MisterMets seemed to indicate that the 2014 Democratic Primary for Governor of Maryland would be a fight solely between Anthony Brown and Doug Gansler.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »

No. You should look at the bold. I meant Heather Mizeur for Governor of Maryland. MisterMets seemed to indicate that the 2014 Democratic Primary for Governor of Maryland would be a fight solely between Anthony Brown and Doug Gansler.
I'm not very familiar with a Democratic primary in Maryland. The main point about Brown was that he still has to win his primary, and that it looks competitive.

That said, it is quite uncommon for someone to get elected to significant statewide office (IE- Governor or Senator) from the lower house of the state legislature, especially without a leadership post there. It's not impossible, as Governors Robert Bentley of Alabama and Nikki Haley of South Carolina demonstrate.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »

I'm not very familiar with a Democratic primary in Maryland. The main point about Brown was that he still has to win his primary, and that it looks competitive.

That said, it is quite uncommon for someone to get elected to significant statewide office (IE- Governor or Senator) from the lower house of the state legislature, especially without a leadership post there. It's not impossible, as Governors Robert Bentley of Alabama and Nikki Haley of South Carolina demonstrate.

It's also quite uncommon for a fourth-year Senator who had, beforehand, been a State Senator that also lost a Democratic Primary to serve in the House in a landslide to be elected President, but political talent/charisma plus the possibility of a milestone is a winning combination. Mizeur definitely has a shot, along with my full endorsement.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »

I'm probably in the minority here, but I could see her picking an Obama '08 supporter both as a nod to Obama but also to promote the message that she doesn't hold any resentment towards those who didn't back her back then, giving the impression of a united party.

Though I would concede that that may come with some downsides such as a possibly pulpable awkwardness if it were someone like Tim Kaine.

Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »

I would guess Michael Bennet, Julian Castro and Mark Warner would be at the top of Hillary's list. Possibly add a 2014 winner like Mark Schauer in Michigan or a surprise in WI.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »

I remember when Evan Bayh was considered a very possible Hillary's running mate had she won in 2008 - pretty much in the "loyalty" category.

I wouldn't rule him out as a 2016 running mate, actually.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies