Opinion of Mike Huckabee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:06:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Mike Huckabee
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Opinion of Mike Huckabee  (Read 651 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:52:19 AM »

A charming HP. 
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 11:53:25 AM »

Eh, FF I suppose.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »

The scariest voice for Social Conservatism, because he has a natural charm. I think he would've done better than McCain due to economic populism, though I also think the Republican brand was too badly damaged in 08 for any Pubbie to win.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »

My kind of Republican although his stances on foreign policy and immigration were questionable.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »

The scariest voice for Social Conservatism, because he has a natural charm. I think he would've done better than McCain due to economic populism, though I also think the Republican brand was too badly damaged in 08 for any Pubbie to win.

This.

Before he announced he wasn't running, he was leading in most 2012 polls as well, and had the best chance of winning out of any republican.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 06:02:13 PM »

HP on policies... charming, self-effacing and f'ing dangerous.

But I agree he was the single-biggest threat in 2008, conservative populism with a folksy smile. I remember seeing him speak for the first time in 2005 and thought "I don't want this guy ever running for president... we'd have a hard time beating him".
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »

Probably lower than my opinion of the fella in the sig of the poster above.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 08:39:10 PM »

FF, I watch his TV programme every week.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:49:08 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2013, 08:50:41 PM by Matt from VT »

I can't really vote FF on account of his views. But he's a very likeable fellow, and I'd probably like him if I met him. As a guy FF, but since this is Individual politics HP.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 08:49:52 PM »

I can't really vote FF on account of his views. But he's a very likeable fellow, and I'd probably like him if I met him. As a guy FF, but since this is Individual politics HP.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 08:59:28 PM »

A bro. Easy FF for moi.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 09:39:59 PM »

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 04:27:17 AM »

This.

Before he announced he wasn't running, he was leading in most 2012 polls as well, and had the best chance of winning out of any republican.

That is just simply not the case.

In the 2011 polling that included him, I did a comparison and only state where he did better than Romney against Obama was NC, which Romney ended up winning in the end. Amongst the other states, Romney generally had numbers in line with his position nationally in most of those states and in more then enough to win the EC, whereas Huckabee wouldn't have had enough states within a reasonable range of the national PV to come close to winning the EC. It would be fair to say that Romney blew his comparative advantage over Huckabee throughout 2012 through mistakes and gaffes, were it not for one thing. Todd Akin.

Huckabee was the only one who stood by Akin, and what his worse, he blew off a similar incident back in the 1990's with someone else and then appointed that same guy who made a similar comment to a position dealing with matters of healthcare. Obama would have not only wrapped the Akin scandle right around Huckabee's neck, but strangled him with it.

Both from the perspective of 2011 and in hindsight, there is no way to square a claim that Huckabee would have done better then Romney with the facts presently available to either perspective.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 08:47:32 AM »

I don't like how he pushes ideological purity on the GOP, but he seems a little more open-minded.  Mild FF for that, massive FF otherwise.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »

You are definitely right about Mike Huckabee and how he would have done in 2008. I feel he would have carried all the McCain states and would have picked up North Carolina, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa and maybe Florida and Virginia. In addition, I think Huckabee's faux economic populist message might have improved his performance among white working class voters. Either way, Mike Huckabee as President is actually a pretty scary thought considering his views.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »

I've never actually really thought about it before (I didn't take him too seriously), but yeah—he's probably one of the few Republicans who could've beaten Obama in 2008.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies