Reagan '68: VP choices? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:33:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Reagan '68: VP choices? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reagan '68: VP choices?  (Read 4134 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: July 10, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »

I've been, in the back of my head, contemplating "Reaganland" (do not steal that name), a timeline with Ronald Reagan winning the presidency in '68 and how he--an inexperienced Governor whose campaign was run largely by handlers and activists--would handle the next four to eight years and what effect he'd have on the country. I'm wondering what good VP choices there'd be for the Governor. In Historico's timeline, John Volpe, a Catholic Governor form Massachusetts with national experience was chosen for VP by the Reagan camp. I'm wondering what others there might be that could balance the inexperienced Californian. Naturally, they couldn't be members of the Class of '66--Percy, Agnew, Baker, Brooke, etc.--due to the similar lack of experience. Nor would an anti-Vietnam Republican like Hatfield be considerable. So who is there that Reagan might choose were he to win the nomination in '68? I'm looking at Senator Hiram Fong of Hawaii as a possibility--minority, Hawaiian, moderate (I assume, not much said on him)--and it'd be fun to have him help RR open the door to China. As well, a not well known Vermont Senator, Winston L. Prouty, is being looked at. Declared by ourcampaigns.com as "hard to classify as liberal or conservative", Prouty supported Anti-Ballistic Missile Deployment and might help the administration engineer a guaranteed minimum income proposal to streamline welfare.

Looking for any suggestions.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 07:12:05 AM »

Awful.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »

Ideological incoherence, Rockefeller likely wouldn't be willing to play second string to a one term Governor at this point on his career, Rockefeller himself was awful, the two would be uneasy allies at best & could only coalesce as a stop Nixon ticket--one which would likely result in Rocky having the top slot, and Rockefeller was a Governor. Reagan would be fishing for votes that A) he would never get or B) in such s way that would cripple him. If he won, his Vice President with his New York- and Rockefeller fortune-sized ego would be his own worst enemy. Rockefeller f#cked with Ford in real life.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2013, 01:37:42 PM by Cathcollegecon »

Egotistical. He tried to use his spot as Vice President to do his own legislating, often betraying the White House's own plans in favor if more ambitious  ones, and opposing the Ford administration's movement away from detente. Imagine him and Reagan having to work together.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »

NOTICE: Holy Hell, I didn't realize I'd been commenting on my own thread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies