KY-PPP: Alison Lundergan Grimes (D) moves into tie with Sen. McConnell (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:09:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  KY-PPP: Alison Lundergan Grimes (D) moves into tie with Sen. McConnell (R)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: KY-PPP: Alison Lundergan Grimes (D) moves into tie with Sen. McConnell (R)  (Read 3892 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »

Q1 Do you approve or disapprove of Senator Mitch McConnell’s job performance?

Approve .......................................................... 44%
Disapprove...................................................... 47%

Q2 Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Alison Lundergan Grimes?

Favorable........................................................ 34%
Unfavorable .................................................... 24%

Q3 If the choices for United States Senate were Republican Mitch McConnell and Democratic Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes, who would you vote for?

Mitch McConnell ............................................. 45%
Alison Lundergan Grimes ............................... 45%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/KentuckyPollingMemo52813.pdf
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »

Result isn't unbelievable, but there are definitely push questions in there which read exactly like DSCC ads. Not the first time Jensen's done this sort of thing either.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »

Result isn't unbelievable, but there are definitely push questions in there which read exactly like DSCC ads. Not the first time Jensen's done this sort of thing either.

That doesn't matter, because those "push" questions were asked after the horserace.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »

Only negative -3 for Mitch?  If it wasn't over before...
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »

Push questions only matter if you ask them BEFORE the match-up/favorability questions, not after.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »

I wasn't far off: this poll was done for Reid's SuperPAC. Dems are also getting impatient with Grimes.
Marston
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »

Yeah, I don't envy Grimes. She's surely the Dems best bet against McConnell, but she faces an uphill climb against an incumbent who'll surely attempt to destroy the personal and professional reputation of whoever runs against him.

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »

Horrible numbers for McConnell, but he'll still probably pull it out in the end.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »

The first two questions are not push questions. The third is the meat of the poll.

Were it not that Kentucky has been a core R state in Presidential and Senatorial elections since 1998, one would see Senator McConnell in deep trouble. The likelihood of an incumbent politician being defeated is roughly 50-50 if his approval at the start of the campaign season is 44%. The chance of re-election approaches 100% as approval reaches 50% with very few exceptions (George Allen 2006 -- strong contender as an opponent, his political party in trouble,  incompetent campaign, and huge gaffes that got him defeated. Note well that Virginia had been see as a very R state going into 2006 because it hadn't voted for a Democratic nominee for President since the LBJ blowout of 1964 and had voted for a Democratic nominee in a close election only once since 1928. Carter couldn't win it despite winning every other former-Confederate State.  Clinton never won it despite being a strong campaigner. But that is Virginia and not Kentucky.

Politicians cannot campaign all the time, and they are always subject to cheap carping by opponents. Once they start campaigning, they usually show why they were elected the first time. If their approval ratings are below 44% they usually demonstrate why voting for them was a mistake the first time.

This is without a breaking scandal. Abuse of power? Failure to bring home the pork? If he is the Senate Minority Leader and you can't get something from the Other Side, maybe he is doing a poor job. Interstate 69 in Kentucky? Almost all of it is existing highway.

McConnell has plenty of time in which to build political respect in his own State. But "Senate Majority Leader" who does nothing for his state won't be a good reason for re-electing him.   
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 12:48:22 PM »

I'm more interested in what happens at the state level. It's been 30 years since I've heard people talk as badly about the Republicans as they do now, but the GOP thuggery is unprecedented.

Even though I'm basically self-employed, I'm actually applying to join the National Writers Union, just because of the anti-union political thuggery of the Tea Party and the Republican Party of Kentucky.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »

McConnell is really good in close races. As much as I'd love to see him defeated, I believe when I see.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »

McConnell is really good in close races. As much as I'd love to see him defeated, I believe when I see.

Being good in close races is luck -- not talent. The questions are now whether he can bring out the base while holding onto enough independents and conservative Democrats... and how strong an opponent he faces. He will need every trick and he will need a very weak opponent to win. He has not brought home the pork for Kentucky, and should he try it might stll be too little too late.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »

Today, we'll find out about Grimes:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »

Superficial comment that contributes nothing of substance: GODDAMN she is attractive!

For a politician at least. I'm out. 

Don't be ashamed. Starting a circlejerk over a politician's looks is an Atlas tradition.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »

Push questions only matter if you ask them BEFORE the match-up/favorability questions, not after.

It very much does matter, because it tells you about the intentions of the pollster. Had the results not been favorable to Grimes, this poll may have simply been buried and unmentioned. That really screws with the intellectual honesty of the MOE calcs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies