Which country will legalize gay marriage next?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:00:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Which country will legalize gay marriage next?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What will be the next country to legalize gay marriage?
Colombia

Albania

Luxembourg

Vietnam

Cuba

Taiwan (Republic of China)

Finland

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Which country will legalize gay marriage next?  (Read 10373 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 02:04:38 PM »

Again, local officials are saying they already complied with the order. It's going to take another order to see if that's true or not.

It will be awhile.

I'm changing my vote to Finland.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 08:12:23 PM »

Russia's comin' around....
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 01:34:07 AM »

Well, the ACT is a good shot, so kinda-sorta-Australia.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 04:23:32 AM »

Well, the ACT is a good shot, so kinda-sorta-Australia.

I think the question meant place that will legalise it, but not through a method that will see it overturned by the High Court.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 04:55:34 AM »

I think we can pretty safely say this will be Luxembourg now.

(they have a gay PM)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »

It's theoretically legal in Australia now, so there's that.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »

Israeli parliament will see a civil union (including SSM) pushed forward by current coalition members Yesh Atid and Hatnua, I believe it will support with the backing of the opposition
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 09:34:20 PM »

Weird that none of these countries has pulled the trigger yet

and it's possible Austria may beat them all.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 10:01:23 PM »

Weird that none of these countries has pulled the trigger yet

and it's possible Austria may beat them all.

All of these countries have other priorities, you know.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 11:30:21 PM »

Luxembourg is pretty weird. They have coalition between a social democratic party and a liberal party who have nothing ideologically in common except gay marriage (and the fact that they both have gay leaders). What else have they got to do?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 01:08:21 AM »

Luxembourg is pretty weird. They have coalition between a social democratic party and a liberal party who have nothing ideologically in common except gay marriage (and the fact that they both have gay leaders). What else have they got to do?

A coalition between a social democratic party, a liberal party and a green party.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »

Luxembourg is typically an example where it would probably not be a problem at all, but it's not on the agenda and no one pushes for it hard enough.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 09:56:56 AM »

I don't see why same-sex marriage should be on the agenda for Luxembourg's government. They have more important things to worry about.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »

I don't see why same-sex marriage should be on the agenda for Luxembourg's government. They have more important things to worry about.

Not really.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »

Luxembourg is typically an example where it would probably not be a problem at all, but it's not on the agenda and no one pushes for it hard enough.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/01/official-luxembourg-to-legalize-same-sex-marriage-by-summer/

Apparently Juncker's government supported SSM back in 2009, but the issue apparently got lost in the Parliamentary shuffle. Same sex couples will continue to be forced to make the arduous two hour car journey into Belgium or France to get married.

Of the countries you listed it will be: Luxembourg, Finland, Vietnam, Albania, Colombia, Cuba, Taiwan; in order.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »

Not really.

They really don't have any more important things to worry about other than redefining marriage? Are you serious? The fact that a socially liberal government led by a gay man hasn't yet done this yet speaks volumes that they're concentrating on other issues.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 01:56:21 PM »

Not really.

They really don't have any more important things to worry about other than redefining marriage? Are you serious? The fact that a socially liberal government led by a gay man hasn't yet done this yet speaks volumes that they're concentrating on other issues.

I think you're under the misapprehension that a government can't do two things at the same time.

They are planning on legalising it this year, but this sort of thing takes time, especially in Europe.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2014, 10:24:23 AM »

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/01/official-luxembourg-to-legalize-same-sex-marriage-by-summer/Same sex couples will continue to be forced to make the arduous two hour car journey into Belgium or France to get married.
Getting married in a foreign country is a bit harder than a car trip you know...

Plus, there is no point in Luxembourg where you cannot go to either France or Belgium in less than 45 min. Luxembourg is really small you see.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »

There's no real reason for Luxembourg to be a country anyway. Tongue
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2014, 08:15:12 AM »

For those that were wondering, the correct answer was Luxembourg, by a vote of 56-4.

I've been wondering what Asian country will be the first to legalize gay marriage (and when). The mostly likely countries seem to be either Nepal, Thailand, or Vietnam. Any guesses on which it will be and when?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »

I'm surprised the Christian Democrats voted for. Only the 3 ADR MPs (some hard right party, reminds me of UKIP) and one Christian Democrat voted against (Ali Kaes, North, got the 4th seat on the 4 seats CVP got in North). Also means than all East MPs voted for (ADR has 2 MPs in South and 1 in Center).
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2014, 04:31:47 PM »

ADR is/was a pensioners party.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2014, 04:41:07 PM by CrabCake »

For those that were wondering, the correct answer was Luxembourg, by a vote of 56-4.

I've been wondering what Asian country will be the first to legalize gay marriage (and when). The mostly likely countries seem to be either Nepal, Thailand, or Vietnam. Any guesses on which it will be and when?

I'd say Nepal. How long can one country take to write its constitution?

I think Thailand is a bit tied up right now (Thai-d up, hahaha) and Vietnam is a curious wild card, but nobody can really tell with these sort of administrations. Also, perhaps Myanmar if Aung San Suu Kyi gains power (you can laugh, but it's comparable to South Africa after apartheid.) Taiwan is also a good try, but only if conservatives fall from grace.

I think Japan is too conservative and Shinzo Abe is too entrenched to consider it, despite his wife supporting it (the DJP could have possibly done something in their one term, but they are far too busy imploding right now). In India, Modi will be entrenched for some time - it's quite unlikely homosexuality will even be re-legalised by this decade. South Korea is too Catholic (as is the Philippines), and would require the current backlash against Park to last quite some time. Other than those countries I mentioned, slim pickings in Asia.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »

Japan would be a possibility if the DJP got its act together, but I can't see it happening under the LDP. As as far as the Japanese public goes, the polling really isn't that bad:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think it'll happen in Japan, but it'll probably take a few years (and it certainly won't be the first in Asia).
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2014, 02:14:31 PM »

Put me down for the United States as the next. Smiley

Given the way the state laws are falling at every challenge, it'll have crossed the country within a short time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies